• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls progression

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Lets see how the season ends...we played the toughest stretch and won 2 now if we win 4 of next 6 and go bowling this was a great year considering what we came from.

Now if we finish season with 3 wins will not be thrilled at all.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

In the post game, Louk had a nice quote from our own Bobby Paschal about this. Paraphrasing, "the last place that progress shows is in the win/loss column" ...

successful people dont talk like this

the rest is a bunch of excuses for failure

i see some improvement but certainly not enough

qb play needs to improve-----   if cwt doesnt bring in 2 qbs)i juco) he is foolish

That's not true.  In everything, including business there are leading and lagging indicators, especially when you're trying to build something.  IMO, our biggest problem right now is lack of depth.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

There is progress, but it's small. I've said it before, there has got to be a point where things click. There has got to be a point where our offense can score points consistently. There has got to be a point where numbers improve. There has got to be a point where you win football games. I don't expect all of them to happen this year, but I did expect a few things like this to happen. I still think we win 4 games, but if there isn't a HUGE jump/improvement next year it's time to hire our wonderful recruiting agency yet again. Improving at this pace isn't going to cut it.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

We are back to watchable at this point... We have a couple of playmakers on offense in Mack, Davis and Swanson...We might have found an NFL type full back, hopefully we can use him a little more

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

They do look better. Inconsistent to a lesser degree on both sides of the ball and slightly better special teams. Or maybe I'm biased by  ever lowering expectations.

No excuse not to win 4-5 games in this conference this year.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

We already have more rushing touchdowns than last year. We have already matched last years TD number of 11. So just going by those numbers we have made progress. Honestly though how many here thought we were going to get blown out by Wisconsin and ECU? We need to figure out how to play 4 quarters now.

+1

+2

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

In the post game, Louk had a nice quote from our own Bobby Paschal about this. Paraphrasing, "the last place that progress shows is in the win/loss column" ...

successful people dont talk like this

the rest is a bunch of excuses for failure

i see some improvement but certainly not enough

qb play needs to improve-----   if cwt doesnt bring in 2 qbs)i juco) he is foolis

Receiving corp. hasn't helped, with the exception of Davis who has limited playing time.  Our receivers need to learn to catch the ball.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

We already have more rushing touchdowns than last year. We have already matched last years TD number of 11. So just going by those numbers we have made progress. Honestly though how many here thought we were going to get blown out by Wisconsin and ECU? We need to figure out how to play 4 quarters now.

+1

+2

Depth is lacking

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

As for the depth problem - this had always been a problem at USF and will continue to be.  There just aren't enough 4 star guys that want to come here.  We can grab the occasional one, (hopefully seeing as we just lost a 4 star commit) , but there is no way we end up with a roster of only 3, 4 and 5 star guys.  Leavitt had the problem, Holtz had the problem, Tags has the problem and the next guy will have the problem.  Too many good teams in better conferences taking the best talent.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

In general depth is only an issue when it comes to depth of players Taggart has pulled in for his system and how well his staff judged them as a fit for his system. Beyond that we have a team of players pulled in for a specific system with an average ranking and expectations comparable to a group of schools in the same range. We should expect to have comparable depth to teams in our average recruiting segment like Wisconsin, Iowa, NC State, K State, etc.

It would be interesting to see the rankings broken down by O and D, and maybe even by unit, to get a better feel for which schools are doing better at O and maybe O-line, for example.