• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White only played one year of high school QB?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

^ I dunno, Shadow, I don't read into that quote that White didn't give Tags the best chance to win. It just meant the others were even less successful so he had to play his best option at the time.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

^ I dunno, Shadow, I don't read into that quote that White didn't give Tags the best chance to win. It just meant the others were even less successful so he had to play his best option at the time.

He had other QBs on the roster that, according to his own definition, were far more prepared to be successful.  He chose White instead, so he was waving the *ahem* white flag and giving up on the season.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

White is currently 7th in all FBS for yards per completion..not too bad for someone who only started playing QB his senior year of HS

White is currently 7th in all FBS for yards per completion..not too bad for someone who only started playing QB his senior year of HS

Wow.  Talk about cherry picking stats.  He's also 111 out of the 116 qualifiers in passing efficiency.  Not too great.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

He had other QBs on the roster that, according to his own definition, were far more prepared to be successful.  He chose White instead, so he was waving the *ahem* white flag and giving up on the season.

I can't deny he was waving the flag by going with the untested freshman, but he did it because all the "more prepared" arrows in the quiver had already missed...significantly. So at least put the guy with the highest ceiling in, so that he can get the game experience...and who knows, maybe win!

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

We have to assume, that ----- even if ALL our offensive problems were corrected (receivers caught all passes, pass blocking perfect, and strong O-line adjustments)...

and it came down to a simple fluid QB play:

------ White is better than Bench.

Yeah, because football is a fluid sport and most QBs get as much time as they want to throw and WRs always catch all passes.

Oh, wait, most all QBs have to deal with pressure and imperfect receivers.  

So, you think Bench is better than White!?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

That stat means nothing. He has 3 passing TDs through 6 games. He is 106 out of 129 in Total QB Rating. 

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/page/3

I don't dislike White though. I think he can be pretty good. This scheme doesn't do him or any other QB that comes here any favors though when it comes to stats.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We have to assume, that ----- even if ALL our offensive problems were corrected (receivers caught all passes, pass blocking perfect, and strong O-line adjustments)...

Yeah, because football is a fluid sport and most QBs get as much time as they want to throw and WRs always catch all passes.

Apparently, so do the coaching staff, and yet Tags refuses to put him in the games.  Why?

I can't deny he was waving the flag by going with the untested freshman, but he did it because all the "more prepared" arrows in the quiver had already missed...significantly. So at least put the guy with the highest ceiling in, so that he can get the game experience...and who knows, maybe win!

Thank you.  That is my point.  He did not put in the player that gave the team the best chance to win.  

I've been told over and over that Taggart would ALWAYS put in the player that gave the team the best chance to win.

Even Taggart admits that Bench gave the team a better chance to win last year than White did.  I don't think there is any question that Bench gave the team a better chance to win than White last year.  The job of a QB goes far beyond pure stats, especially in this offense where a QB makes many decisions on the field.

I don't think that Bench will have a better career than White.  But White was a QB for only one year in high school.  Bench was a QB since he began playing football, probably as a young kid.  Bench is the son of a football coach, and had playing experience as a freshman with Notre Dame.   He also is a much better fit in the Taggart system that almost requires a mobile QB.  When White has time and is patient, he throws a much prettier ball than Bench.  Bench is still a more effective and quicker decision maker, and his mobility is far superior to White.  I'd go with Bench, but haven't seen enough of him this year to be able to say he's better than White at this point in time.  

No doubt whatsoever that Bench was the better QB last year.