• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SMU Not Going The Route USF Did For Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

This detail still holds true:

"

UCF upgraded in conferences....

Cincy was downgraded (with USF)"

Yep, sure does .... has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation but it is true.

And in other news, the grass is green and the sky is blue...

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,340
  • Days Won:  43

Ugh... That would be a joke. Mack needs to retire.

The thread title is the joke. There's nothing in the article about the route SMU is taking for coach. Gossip is stemming from a blurb on a FoxSports blog linked in the article:

COULD MACK COME BACK?

A wild-card name to keep an eye on with the SMU vacancy is former Texas coach Mack Brown, now an ESPN broadcaster. Word is, some well-connected SMU brass are intrigued by Brown and think he might be tempted by the chance to coach again.

Brown is 63 and it's not common to follow one 60-plus year-old with another, but as one source pointed out, the Mustangs basketball coach (Larry Brown) is also in his 70s (74). 

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/college-football/bohls-mack-to-consider-coaching-again/nhcXB/

Mack's attorney has confirmed SMU approached him. Seems they are NOT going the up and comer route vs the established, big name coach.

Contacting Mack doesn't indicate what their strategy's going to be. It was a convenient, nothing to lose, reach out ....

USF has ALWAYS looked downward for its football head coaches, up and comers on a lower level, not established at the top level or even equivalent level.

BS to the "ALWAYS" .... Leavitt was established on a higher level. Houston Nutt was established on a higher level ... you did say "looked". Besides, that hiring strategy worked pretty good for Cincy's two coaches preceding TT, now didn't it?

USF has NEVER hired a former BCS head coach as a head coach.

They could have hired Houston Nutt. The point is a lot of the BCS coaches are retreads and are pretty going down hill.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

You guys 'aka The Cast of Usual Suspects' need to take a hard look in the mirror. You're not being honest about your motives or previous posts. But the same handful showing up each post is damning in itself.

I believe our purpose was to show how woefully ignorant it was to belabor a point and criticize USF for not hiring ex-BCS football head coaches. A point you haven't really defended well.

I read a report that Mack isn't the only big name SMU has contacted. You have an unsubstantiated report that Nutt was interviewed. That's once BCS coach rumored to be interviewed. Wow. Mack's friend/attorney said that Mack will decide if he's going back to football in December.

Also, they have at least 3 firms involved in the search looking at the hire from different angles beyond the simple vetting USF seemed to have done. This head coach search is nothing like USF's have been.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/smu-ad-rick-hart-provides-update-on-smus-coaching-search-asks-fans-to-get-involved.html/

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm sure all the SMU fans on this board are pleased as punch with the names being brought up in their search.

Meanwhile, in USF Bulls country, our rebuilding job continues and we are excited about about tonight's game against ECU.

I'm surprised tonight's game is on ESPNU. Cool.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,529
  • Days Won:  422

You guys 'aka The Cast of Usual Suspects' need to take a hard look in the mirror. You're not being honest about your motives or previous posts. But the same handful showing up each post is damning in itself.

I believe our purpose was to show how woefully ignorant it was to belabor a point and criticize USF for not hiring ex-BCS football head coaches. A point you haven't really defended well.

I read a report that Mack isn't the only big name SMU has contacted. You have an unsubstantiated report that Nutt was interviewed

LOL .... I don't think I have even have to go into detail to explain the absurdity of that ... and I had forgotten that Butch Davis's name was also tossed around in the USF search ... so thing is, USF did look at ex BCS head coaches but went in a different direction like most college head coaching hires do. Most college football head coaching hires come from a lower level head coach moving up, or assistants at the the same level or a higher one being given the job ... so it's ridiculous to try and criticize USF for the way they've handled their head coaching hires .... all 3 of them.  :rolleyes:

I read a report that Mack isn't the only big name SMU has contacted. You have an unsubstantiated report that Nutt was interviewed

LOL .... I don't think I have even have to go into detail to explain the absurdity of that ... and I had forgotten that Butch Davis's name was also tossed around in the USF search ... so thing is, USF did look at ex BCS head coaches but went in a different direction like most college head coaching hires do. Most college football head coaching hires come from a lower level head coach moving up, or assistants at the the same level or a higher one being given the job ... so it's ridiculous to try and criticize USF for the way they've handled their head coaching hires .... all 3 of them.  :rolleyes:

Who was criticizing? I just noted that SMU appears to not be looking to assistants and lower level  coaches. The rest was what you read into my post. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I read a report that Mack isn't the only big name SMU has contacted. You have an unsubstantiated report that Nutt was interviewed.

LOL .... I don't think I have even have to go into detail to explain the absurdity of that ... and I had forgotten that Butch Davis's name was also tossed around in the USF search ... so thing is, USF did look at ex BCS head coaches but went in a different direction like most college head coaching hires do. Most college football head coaching hires come from a lower level head coach moving up, or assistants at the the same level or a higher one being given the job ... so it's ridiculous to try and criticize USF for the way they've handled their head coaching hires .... all 3 of them. :rolleyes:

Who was criticizing? I just noted that SMU appears to not be looking to assistants and lower level coaches. The rest was what you read into my post.

So you're impressed that they're contacting unemployed coaches?

I read a report that Mack isn't the only big name SMU has contacted. You have an unsubstantiated report that Nutt was interviewed.

LOL .... I don't think I have even have to go into detail to explain the absurdity of that ... and I had forgotten that Butch Davis's name was also tossed around in the USF search ... so thing is, USF did look at ex BCS head coaches but went in a different direction like most college head coaching hires do. Most college football head coaching hires come from a lower level head coach moving up, or assistants at the the same level or a higher one being given the job ... so it's ridiculous to try and criticize USF for the way they've handled their head coaching hires .... all 3 of them. :rolleyes:

Who was criticizing? I just noted that SMU appears to not be looking to assistants and lower level coaches. The rest was what you read into my post.

So you're impressed that they're contacting unemployed coaches?

I said a different route. I'm impressed with over 200 wins, over 60% win percentage and a NC. Who wouldn't be?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Trying to not start any flame wars, but slick, my man ... This thread is not looking too good for you. We should probably lock it ASAP.

I don't know.  I'm not too impressed with Trip trying to pass off a co-DC from Kansas State as hiring someone who was at a higher level.