• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re-watching game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Not exactly the quote I was looking for, but this shows the intent of the rule.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3797093-ncaa-bans-horse-collar-tackles-in-football/

Rogers Redding, NCAA football secretary-rules editor and coordinator of football officials for the Southeastern Conference, said the horse-collar ban may result in fewer back injuries.

“What we’re hearing from trainers and physicians is we’re getting some back injuries when the ball carrier is immediately snapped to the ground by being jerked quickly,†he said. “If the ball carrier is grabbed by the shoulder or jersey and just ridden to the ground over a couple of yards, that’s not going to be a foul.â€

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think I heard during the broadcast that that head ref did a BCS Championship game.  Really? 

Did you see my post on another thread about the history we have with John McDaid, the head ref? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

I think I heard during the broadcast that that head ref did a BCS Championship game.  Really? 

Did you see my post on another thread about the history we have with John McDaid, the head ref? 

Think I saw it - the forward propulsion guy?  From what I've seen of the guy I can't believe he was chosen for a BCS game.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Think I saw it - the forward propulsion guy?  From what I've seen of the guy I can't believe he was chosen for a BCS game.

Yeah that's him. He's the worst out there IMO.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Not exactly the quote I was looking for, but this shows the intent of the rule.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3797093-ncaa-bans-horse-collar-tackles-in-football/

Rogers Redding, NCAA football secretary-rules editor and coordinator of football officials for the Southeastern Conference, said the horse-collar ban may result in fewer back injuries.

“What we’re hearing from trainers and physicians is we’re getting some back injuries when the ball carrier is immediately snapped to the ground by being jerked quickly,†he said. “If the ball carrier is grabbed by the shoulder or jersey and just ridden to the ground over a couple of yards, that’s not going to be a foul.â€

That may be the case for the NCAA, also could be for knee injuries, as I believe the NFL instituted the rule because of Roy Williams tearing everybody's ACLs using the horse collar tackle.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We're good enough to beat Wisconsin.

We're not good enough to beat ourselves AND Wisconsin - we really had to play mistake-free football and didn't

No way in hell are we good enough to bet the Refs and Wisconsin

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Still looking for that horse collar.  Seemed to grab him by the shoulder pads.

In first quarter when we were down at the 10, the 3rd down play looked messed up. Two receivers seem to be blocking for a run and White had no one to throw to. 

Funny thing when the announcer said "First and 10 Wisconsin" the fans would then repeat it - not yelling it - more like making fun and emphasizing that area's pronunciation of the con in Wisconsin. Noticed it at the game and re-watching reminded me. 

That long pass to Adams in 2nd qtr. was PI - no question.

May be my imagination but when Wisc fumbled at the end of the half that freaking ref looked upset to have to signal 1st down for USF.'

Really nice drive by USF after falling behind 17 - 3.  Would love to see more of that.

And the fumble really did take the air out of the balloon.  Game over.

It was definitely PI, but, I'd like to see him fight through it and make that catch. Not saying he should have or it's an easy play, but, on the road against a ranked opponent as a heavy underdog, sometimes you have to make those types of plays if you are going to win.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

Still looking for that horse collar.  Seemed to grab him by the shoulder pads.

In first quarter when we were down at the 10, the 3rd down play looked messed up. Two receivers seem to be blocking for a run and White had no one to throw to. 

Funny thing when the announcer said "First and 10 Wisconsin" the fans would then repeat it - not yelling it - more like making fun and emphasizing that area's pronunciation of the con in Wisconsin. Noticed it at the game and re-watching reminded me. 

That long pass to Adams in 2nd qtr. was PI - no question.

May be my imagination but when Wisc fumbled at the end of the half that freaking ref looked upset to have to signal 1st down for USF.'

Really nice drive by USF after falling behind 17 - 3.  Would love to see more of that.

And the fumble really did take the air out of the balloon.  Game over.

It was definitely PI, but, I'd like to see him fight through it and make that catch. Not saying he should have or it's an easy play, but, on the road against a ranked opponent as a heavy underdog, sometimes you have to make those types of plays if you are going to win.

I think if his arm had been grabbed a little sooner he would have maybe tried to fight through it but the timing was bang bang with no time to react .... of course, if he had grabbed sooner, you'd hope the pi definitely would have been called then ...

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

We're good enough to beat Wisconsin.

We're not good enough to beat ourselves AND Wisconsin - we really had to play mistake-free football and didn't

No way in hell are we good enough to bet the Refs and Wisconsin

Right. A game like that you need what happened on our two turnovers to happen to them and erase several of the penalties (though several were questionable).

You have to play perfect, and we played far from it. But shows that as you said, we could beat them without all of our mistakes