• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What positives have CWT accomplished?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i forgot to mention the jim/skip/CWT taggart debate is stupid and i feel bad having responded to it. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

i forgot to mention the jim/skip/CWT taggart debate is stupid and i feel bad having responded to it. 

Heresy!! Obviously it can't be that stupid or you wouldn't have responded to begin with...would you? :evil:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Back to topic. I'm on record of favoring adapting your scheme to fit the players you have. Something Taggart spectacularly FAILED to do last year. Found someone who agrees with me...

Bud Grant, stone-faced Hall of Fame coach of the Minnesota Vikings described it this way: "You can’t draw up plays and then just plug your players in. No matter how well you have designed your play book, it’s useless if you don’t know which plays your players can run. When I draw up my play book, I always go from the players to the play."

http://gumption.typepad.com/blog/2007/12/complimenting-a.html

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm excited to see who's going to argue against this.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Pretty sure they tried a few things.  Floyd couldn't take a snap.  They tried some zone reads then Bench, the guy they were trying it with, got hurt.  Eveld was a drop back QB, but between the line not being able to block and his slower than molasses windup and delivery that didn't work.  Then we tried something with White, but again found out that the line couldn't block.  Our grind it out running game was working great right up until the point that our one running back that was effective got hurt.  

When you don't have a QB that can effectively run an offense and then have an OL that can't block in any offense that is thrown out there I am not really sure what you expect.

The big problem I had with the coaching staff on offense was the length of time it took for plays to be called.  Most of the stupid delay of games and false starts were because it took so long for the plays to get in.  The false starts were mostly a function of the inexperience of White panicking because he was always left with so little time on the clock.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Pretty sure they tried a few things.  Floyd couldn't take a snap.  They tried some zone reads then Bench, the guy they were trying it with, got hurt.  Eveld was a drop back QB, but between the line not being able to block and his slower than molasses windup and delivery that didn't work.  Then we tried something with White, but again found out that the line couldn't block.  Our grind it out running game was working great right up until the point that our one running back that was effective got hurt.  

When you don't have a QB that can effectively run an offense and then have an OL that can't block in any offense that is thrown out there I am not really sure what you expect.

The big problem I had with the coaching staff on offense was the length of time it took for plays to be called.  Most of the stupid delay of games and false starts were because it took so long for the plays to get in.  The false starts were mostly a function of the inexperience of White panicking because he was always left with so little time on the clock.

Summarized very well.

I'm not sure anyone on this board can accurately say Taggart didn't try something outside the offense he is implementing. 

Face it, we were a bad team and we will continue to be until we are not.  Right, DELdaBull? 

idk, it's tough to judge CWT's designs based on last year, with all the confusion on the field and the apparent learning curve on the sidelines. That's the part that absolutely has to go away this year...completely. Can't have our coaches bogged down or indecisive on the sidelines, that was a good point grad84. It did clean up a lot by the end of the year, though, so this year should be different.

But one thing I love that CWT has brought back is the mentality of hard work and taking responsibility. That will pay dividends in the long run and attract the right athletes. Looks like it already is.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Back to topic. I'm on record of favoring adapting your scheme to fit the players you have. Something Taggart spectacularly FAILED to do last year. Found someone who agrees with me...

Bud Grant, stone-faced Hall of Fame coach of the Minnesota Vikings described it this way: "You can’t draw up plays and then just plug your players in. No matter how well you have designed your play book, it’s useless if you don’t know which plays your players can run. When I draw up my play book, I always go from the players to the play."

I'm sure the three years of garbage recruiting and under developed players didn't attribute to our lack of success at all.  If you're a power running coach, you can't deviate from your system to fit personnel.  He would have literally had to have run the spread and he doesn't know the spread.  I mean short memories here... I sit and watch people post and I'm like have you guys been around the past 4 years... did you see what happened between 2010 and 2013?  I guess most forgot about Holtz... What?  Did you think that after 7-5, 5-7, and 3-9 that there was going to be some sort of undefeated season with a first year coach who was given a crap team?  Recruiting sucked under Holtz, player development sucked under Hotlz, S&C sucked under Holtz, player's attitudes sucked under Holtz.... this is silly talk.   I don't think it's fair to look at what Taggart has accomplished in year 2 but I bet the biggest thing he will accomplish is finishing a season better than the last one.  We've won 6 games since the Pitt game in 2011 when we got thrashed.  We had 3 crappy recruiting classes.  

What has Taggart accomplished? Well in 2014 we had the 39th ranked class and in 2013 49.  We haven't seen recruiting classes like those since CJL.  What else? Well he's certainly turned the attitude around on the team and based on the guys he's been getting to visit and commit to the program, he's changing the perception of USF again.  I remember what guys like Fullwood, Bronson, and Sawyer said about Skip.  He did something that Skip couldn't do the entire time, get quality QBs top come into the program.  Mike White and Quinton Flowers would not have been there if not for Taggart.  Period.  He's brought in more guys rated four star on the services in a single class than Skip managed the entire time he coached.  The coverts were dry in the skilled positions.  I've followed the program and recruiting for the past 9 years and I saw the drop in recruiting and the affect it has on play.  It hasn't shown in wins but I'm sure it will.  Skip came into a team that should have won the conference and went 7-5, beat Clemson... a team that underperformed though.  As the CJL talent left, the team got worse.  This time the coach receives Holtz players from a team that should have gone 0-12 and mange to pull 2 games out of their @ss.  No doubt in my mind this team will be better... but then you'll just find something else to complain about.  We have forward momentum and excitement.  Taggarts biggest accomplishment so far is having people actually interested again.  

I also watched as many of you criticized and trashed B.J. only to discover he was the only thing holding the team together.  Without saying anything I remember some of you actually saying Bobby was better.  Now I remember why I never commented on anything here, some of the people don't have realistic expectations and evidently extremely short memories.  I think this will be the case once again with Taggart and you'll hate every second of it I'm sure. :wtf:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Somewhere, JTrue = :popcorn:

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I'm sure the three years of garbage recruiting and under developed players didn't attribute to our lack of success at all.  If you're a power running coach, you can't deviate from your system to fit personnel.  He would have literally had to have run the spread and he doesn't know the spread.  I mean short memories here... I sit and watch people post and I'm like have you guys been around the past 4 years... did you see what happened between 2010 and 2013?  I guess most forgot about Holtz... What?  Did you think that after 7-5, 5-7, and 3-9 that there was going to be some sort of undefeated season with a first year coach who was given a crap team?  Recruiting sucked under Holtz, player development sucked under Hotlz, S&C sucked under Holtz, player's attitudes sucked under Holtz.... this is silly talk.   I don't think it's fair to look at what Taggart has accomplished in year 2 but I bet the biggest thing he will accomplish is finishing a season better than the last one.  We've won 6 games since the Pitt game in 2011 when we got thrashed.  We had 3 crappy recruiting classes.  

What has Taggart accomplished? Well in 2014 we had the 39th ranked class and in 2013 49.  We haven't seen recruiting classes like those since CJL.  What else? Well he's certainly turned the attitude around on the team and based on the guys he's been getting to visit and commit to the program, he's changing the perception of USF again.  I remember what guys like Fullwood, Bronson, and Sawyer said about Skip.  He did something that Skip couldn't do the entire time, get quality QBs top come into the program.  Mike White and Quinton Flowers would not have been there if not for Taggart.  Period.  He's brought in more guys rated four star on the services in a single class than Skip managed the entire time he coached.  The coverts were dry in the skilled positions.  I've followed the program and recruiting for the past 9 years and I saw the drop in recruiting and the affect it has on play.  It hasn't shown in wins but I'm sure it will.  Skip came into a team that should have won the conference and went 7-5, beat Clemson... a team that underperformed though.  As the CJL talent left, the team got worse.  This time the coach receives Holtz players from a team that should have gone 0-12 and mange to pull 2 games out of their @ss.  No doubt in my mind this team will be better... but then you'll just find something else to complain about.  We have forward momentum and excitement.  Taggarts biggest accomplishment so far is having people actually interested again.  

I also watched as many of you criticized and trashed B.J. only to discover he was the only thing holding the team together.  Without saying anything I remember some of you actually saying Bobby was better.  Now I remember why I never commented on anything here, some of the people don't have realistic expectations and evidently extremely short memories.  I think this will be the case once again with Taggart and you'll hate every second of it I'm sure. :wtf:

eq72bk.gif

• Upvote 1