• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Unionized college athletes: Taxes? What taxes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Unionization among employees who work for private organizations are governed by federal law. Unionization among employees who work for public organizations are governed by specific state laws.

Even if said private organization does not operate across state lines?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  57
  • Days Won:  0

My bad.  I realized I was counting Bodway after I posted, but was too lazy to edit it at the time.  To be clear, scholarships are given on an annual basis.  There is no 4-year athletic scholarship.  The school either renews your scholarship annually or not.  Jupiter, his end of the "contract" is that he participates with the team each year he is given a scholarship.

Obviously, the intent is to have an athlete in your program for 4 years, but if they fail to perform up to the required standards, it's fairly common that they are asked to look for another place to continue their athletic career.  Who's to say that Coach O didn't have that talk with some of the guys that are transferring this year.  Calipari/O got to Kentucky and told 7 returning players on that team that they were free to stay at UK, but they would never see the floor if they did.  Six transferred.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

My bad.  I realized I was counting Bodway after I posted, but was too lazy to edit it at the time.  To be clear, scholarships are given on an annual basis.  There is no 4-year athletic scholarship.  The school either renews your scholarship annually or not.  Jupiter, his end of the "contract" is that he participates with the team each year he is given a scholarship.

Obviously, the intent is to have an athlete in your program for 4 years, but if they fail to perform up to the required standards, it's fairly common that they are asked to look for another place to continue their athletic career.  Who's to say that Coach O didn't have that talk with some of the guys that are transferring this year.  Calipari/O got to Kentucky and told 7 returning players on that team that they were free to stay at UK, but they would never see the floor if they did.  Six transferred.

I can't speak to the "annual, with renewal at USF's option" aspect, but perhaps someone here who held a schollie could weigh in.  Would be crappy if schools could dump players at their whim, but college players have to sit out a year if they opt out.  Makes me believe that's not the case.

I do agree with the practice of going to players with the "you may be better off elsewhere" approach, and working with them to find a better fit.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Under the theory that their acceptance of federal funds gives the feds jurisdiction.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I can't speak to the "annual, with renewal at USF's option" aspect, but perhaps someone here who held a schollie could weigh in.  Would be crappy if schools could dump players at their whim, but college players have to sit out a year if they opt out.  Makes me believe that's not the case.

I do agree with the practice of going to players with the "you may be better off elsewhere" approach, and working with them to find a better fit.

Scholarships are 1 year contracts. With a max of 5.  But if a player leaves whether they are "nudged" or not they have to sit out the transfer year. Now they can't even get a "hardship" waiver to play that transfer year.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Under the theory that their acceptance of federal funds gives the feds jurisdiction.

Just another reason to completely shut down the federal dept of education

Scholarships are 1 year contracts. With a max of 5.  But if a player leaves whether they are "nudged" or not they have to sit out the transfer year. Now they can't even get a "hardship" waiver to play that transfer year.

Yeah, I think that's silly.  Small wonder NU wants to unionize, and why Jim Brown just ripped the NCAA a new double-wide size WRECKED-EM.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  57
  • Days Won:  0

Do you think it's silly that kids with academic scholarships need to maintain a certain GPA or lose their aid?  Maybe they should unionize.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Do you think it's silly that kids with academic scholarships need to maintain a certain GPA or lose their aid?  Maybe they should unionize.

Kinda like the IRS, and some teacher contracts, where bonuses are NOT based on performance.

Yes, and I think student/athletes are held to a standard...but it shouldn't be, "Yeah, you're not as good as we'd hope OR we got better players now OR the new coach doesn't like your style, etc., so...we're dumping you".  I believe athletes DO have conditions tied to scholarships, and if they breach, they'll relieved of them. 

Again, in cases where the coaches want to move the player, they can work with him to transfer him to another op.  I'm sure our football team had plenty of Omegbehins on the team, and I doubt any were "cut" for lackluster performance.

But...sorry Mr. Guerrero, we've unintentionally hijacked your thread.  Hope the mods move us.