• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Unionized college athletes: Taxes? What taxes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If you're going to compare it to anything, it's more like indentured servitude.  It certainly in no way compares to slavery.  Every time someone like and athlete or entertainer says that they are like slaves, they really diminish the atrocities of actually slavery.

Indentured servitude is even a bad comparison, because any student can walk away from a full-ride scholarship at any time with no penalties (other than having to sit out a year). When the worst that can happen is one year of free room and board, it's hardly indentured

As for Steve's comment that they're offered an education they cannot achieve, the vase majority of scholarship students graduate, and have a better life, enabled by their athletic talents. You CANNOT play competitive sports forever (this "getting old" stuff is for the birds!), but no one can EVER take away an education.

Long term medical care is a legitimate issue. The rest is diversion, pique, and pride.

+1  I know indenture servitude is a bad example but it's the closest one I could think of other than an unpaid intern.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,682
  • Days Won:  8

If you're going to compare it to anything, it's more like indentured servitude. It certainly in no way compares to slavery. Every time someone like and athlete or entertainer says that they are like slaves, they really diminish the atrocities of actually slavery.

Indentured servitude is even a bad comparison, because any student can walk away from a full-ride scholarship at any time with no penalties (other than having to sit out a year). When the worst that can happen is one year of free room and board, it's hardly indentured

As for Steve's comment that they're offered an education they cannot achieve, the vase majority of scholarship students graduate, and have a better life, enabled by their athletic talents. You CANNOT play competitive sports forever (this "getting old" stuff is for the birds!), but no one can EVER take away an education.

Long term medical care is a legitimate issue. The rest is diversion, pique, and pride.

+1 I know indenture servitude is a bad example but it's the closest one I could think of other than an unpaid intern.

And even unpaid intern is a worse deal than an athletic scholarship.

An athletic scholarship is a dream for most. The entitlement attitude is taking over, it's absurd.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The Labor Board said the criteria for them granting the right to unionize was that the football coach controlled 50-60 hours per week of the students' time which is just like an employer does. And the group seeking status didn't list pay as a reason, they wanted things like guaranteed medical coverage and due process in NCAA decisions.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

The Labor Board said the criteria for them granting the right to unionize was that the football coach controlled 50-60 hours per week of the students' time which is just like an employer does. And the group seeking status didn't list pay as a reason, they wanted things like guaranteed medical coverage and due process in NCAA decisions.

I think you're going to find the list of things they want looks more like this:

1. Money

2. Access leading to endorsements leading to money.

98. Medical coverage.

99. Due process.

100. An education.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I think you're going to find the list of things they want looks more like this:

1. Money

2. Access leading to endorsements leading to money.

98. Medical coverage.

99. Due process.

100. An education.

For SEC schools, you're probably right.

But remember, this started at Northwestern. The thin edge of the wedge is likely to be as Slick says. After that, who knows?!?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,682
  • Days Won:  8

What I don't get is how this can apply to only private universities? Aren't public school athletes in the exact same boat and should the green light as well?

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I think it only applies to private schools because the issue has only been filed by a private school so far.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

What I don't get is how this can apply to only private universities? Aren't public school athletes in the exact same boat and should the green light as well?

Good question. FIIK

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Unionization among employees who work for private organizations are governed by federal law. Unionization among employees who work for public organizations are governed by specific state laws.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

Unions know they have a friend in the White House.