• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Unionized college athletes: Taxes? What taxes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Being an NCAA scholarship athlete is in no way even close to slavery.

I know that, you know that, 98% of the board knows it. Nothing we can do about the other 2%'s wanton foolishness and ignorance.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

being exploited to extent they are leaves little difference between them and old time slaves

I love ya man, but you are dead wrong on this. The difference between NCAA scholarship players and even the best-treated of slaves is so wide as to be incomparable.

i have been on the right side of this issue before this board was created so my understanding of slavery and exploitation is spot on

Doesn't matter how many times you'vre been right before.

Doesn't even matter that you may be on the right side of the issue.

The comparison is indefensible.

You may understand exploitation, but slavery is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Does the unionization ONLY involve a select few athletes? Or does the title IX rule come into play?

I've heard rumors of certain sports "signing" multiple "players" just to keep those numbers in compliance, do they all get a slice of the union pie?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Here's an idea, make all scholarship athletes go through the admissions process like every other student and compete for spots with all other applicants.  Then we can talk about how unfairly they're treated.

Here's an idea, make all scholarship athletes go through the admissions process like every other student and compete for spots with all other applicants.  Then we can talk about how unfairly they're treated.

This is exactly how it works in D3.  We have NO athletic scholarships. Athletes on scholarship are all on academic scholarships. I've had several in my classes - indistinguishable from the other students.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077

it is about making money for the school

not academics

you are confusing issues

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077

being exploited to extent they are leaves little difference between them and old time slaves

I love ya man, but you are dead wrong on this. The difference between NCAA scholarship players and even the best-treated of slaves is so wide as to be incomparable.

i have been on the right side of this issue before this board was created so my understanding of slavery and exploitation is spot on

Doesn't matter how many times you'vre been right before.

Doesn't even matter that you may be on the right side of the issue.

The comparison is indefensible.

You may understand exploitation, but slavery is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

slavery is simply exploitation taken to is ultimate  limit

players are offered something they cant achieve(an education) and not enough food(until last week)

the white man can pretend all they want

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Last time I checked, no one rounded up football players in chains and sold them to the university. I must be mixing up my definition of slavery with another one.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If you're going to compare it to anything, it's more like indentured servitude.  It certainly in no way compares to slavery.  Every time someone like and athlete or entertainer says that they are like slaves, they really diminish the atrocities of actually slavery.

If you're going to compare it to anything, it's more like indentured servitude.  It certainly in no way compares to slavery.  Every time someone like and athlete or entertainer says that they are like slaves, they really diminish the atrocities of actually slavery.

Indentured servitude is even a bad comparison, because any student can walk away from a full-ride scholarship at any time with no penalties (other than having to sit out a year). When the worst that can happen is one year of free room and board, it's hardly indentured

As for Steve's comment that they're offered an education they cannot achieve, the vase majority of scholarship students graduate, and have a better life, enabled by their athletic talents. You CANNOT play competitive sports forever (this "getting old" stuff is for the birds!), but no one can EVER take away an education.

Long term medical care is a legitimate issue. The rest is diversion, pique, and pride.