• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"It's Easier Now" - Aresco

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  1

I agree there is no proof that anything will be required of the B12. 

At this point there are plenty of teams outside the P5 that would be willing to take on greatly reduced revenue sharing to get into the P5. If there is a chance that the other conferences will ultimately force the B12 into adding a couple it might be cheaper to do it now rather than later. If there is a need to expand it will give a little, probably not much, bargaining power to the incoming teams. That could still cost the rest of the B12 money in the long run. 

My opinion (which counts for very little) is that it is inevitable the rest of the P5 will force the B12 into playing a CCG/expanding. The alternative is that they could cannibalize them and become the P4.

As a biased USF fan, I see adding Tampa and Orlando markets as being beneficial as it can slightly undermine the SEC, open up new recruiting grounds, and is a large TV market. I'm sure fans of every other team have a good argument for their team too though.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Why would they expand and lose $ per school. Networks are not going to pay more just because teams (none who are attractive enough to increase payouts). In terms of the championship game, it makes more sense to wait and see if it is an issue first. Unless it is mandated that a championship game is needed, the Big XII would be foolish to add teams. They will wait and see if it is an issue first.

They already know it is going to be an issue. Every other conference president is going to use it against them. If you’re sitting on the selection team, you cannot tell me seeing a championship game that could put two top twenty teams against each other is a bad thing. They would equalize payouts if the right markets are brought in.

The BIG 12 has already softly made these exact statements. They made it clear that they want to expand in the Florida market knowing that Florida, Florida State, and Miami would never be an option. USF/UCF is at the front of what they want and sadly it has nothing to do with the sports teams of either school. It’s all about pitching a new plan to get more money.

Each school is located in a prime market for the BIG 12 and they also solve another problem in their minds. They make an illusion that they are helping to fix West Virginia’s travel problems by giving them two more teams east of the Midwest Line. Which they kind of do as you will see with the divisions listed below. WVU could avoid going to the state of Texas in football some years if they are given a yearly crossover with USF as a former Big East Rival.

While giving WVU this, they also bring Texas and Oklahoma to the Tampa and Orlando markets. Major for recruiting and something both of these schools badly want and need. It’s a win/win situation for the BIG 12 and mainly keeping Texas happy. Adding USF/UCF sets up an easy split for divisions.

Big 12 North

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

West Virginia

Big 12 South

Baylor

Texas

Texas Christian

Texas Tech

UCF

USF

Now you can’t tell me that does not make EVERYONE happy. Texas and Oklahoma can play the Red River Football game and no matter who wins still each team is in good positions to win their division. Kansas avoids having to see Texas and Baylor twice each season in basketball unless they meet in the conference tournament.  That split sets up Texas with a good shot to win the division in every sport each season. They would be dancing in Austin and we all know that is all that matters.

Sorry this is kind of long but I think it reads easy haha. Will this happen? Crossing my fingers it does for the Bulls sake. If we are seen as nothing more than an agent to help keep Texas happy. I’m all for it as it puts us in better position financially.

Look at conference divisions today.  When there are two schools in the same state, they are almost always in separate divisions, and are scheduled in a rivalry game.  If the Big 12 adds two Florida schools, all the Big 12 schools will want the recruiting advantage.  IF this happens, it is a Stone Cold Mortal Lead Pipe Lock that USF and UCF will be in opposite divisions.

Let's look at that statement. Not so in the Big 10, except for Indiana and Purdue. They have Mich/Mich St in the same division along with NW and Ill. And their biggest rivals, Mich/Ohio St are in the same division. Even the ACC, UV and VT in the same division and there are two NC schools in each division. Its only FSU and Miami that aren't and that seems more to balance the divisions than promoting a rival. The SEC is geographic. So it seems that more than half the conferences with divisions that have schools from the same state put them in the same division most of the time.

450px-Atlantic_Coast_Conference_Map_2013

413px-SEC-USA-states2011.png

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I have my doubts too. I am curious about what is going to happen with the AAC divisions.

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

For those that think the AAC is better travel, remember that the AAC still has 2 teams in TX and another in Oklahoma. Secondly, even if travel for fans is further, I think most fans buying season ticket think about the HOME schedule, first.

Also, remember that the playoffs will be decided by a committee. So an undefeated 12-0 Texas or Oklahoma will probably beat out most ACC champions.

That being said, for those AAC fans wanting to compare champions so far....

2013 Fiesta Bowl: AAC Champion - 1 Big 12 Champion - 0

:)

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Slick: "Turning tail,and running is how USF got to where it's at now. I am still waiting to see a program that's left the Big East truly succeed too. It seems that more money doesn't mean more success. Going back to when BC, VT and UM left, have they done so much better than when in the Big East? What about WVU or Pitt?"

Whether it equals success or not, more money still wins out.

Wins out on what?  A good friend is a WVU fan and he hates that they are in the Big 12.  Hard to get to away games, no rivalries in conference.  So who wins?  The fans?  Don't think so.  The bottom line? Maybe but the bottom line has no heart.  Fans do. 

I would rather we stay in the AAC than switch to the Big 12.  Does that mean I wouldn't try to get to the away games?  No, but East Carolina and Tulane are easier for me to get to than most of the Big 12 teams.  Tulsa not so much so this isn't perfect.  But once we get into Divsion play in 2015 we'll have a better idea if Tulsa would be an every two year deal.

You would RATHER be in the AAC than the B12? REALLY?

He's not alone. I would too.

Of course, I'd rather be in the ACC than either, but if I had my druthers (and money was more or less equal) my conference preference would be

1. ACC

2. SEC

3. AAC

4. B10

5. B12

6. anybody else.

That makes no sense because the money IS NOT EQUAL. It's $20 million more per team in the Big12. If it were equal and access to bowl games was equal we would all rather stay in the AAC because the teams are crappier and we could win easier.

SIGH...

If the B12 invites us, we go. Everybody knows that. But the ONLY reason we go is for the money. Everybody knows that too.

It's a lose-lose situation.

We stay in the AAC, we get no money, we jump to the B12 we get no decent travel cities. And probably very few victories in the next 15 years. Finishing 10th in the B12 is not high on my bucket list.

We DON'T BELONG in the B12. The schools aren't similar, we have no natural rivals, the cities aren't similar, they're all small, rural, far away land-grant-college towns. That's not us.

We DO BELONG in a conference like the AAC (or the Metro, or CUSA, etc)- urban, modern, progressive, up-and-coming schools in big cities with (relatively) easy drives for the fans. And if we run the table, which we should have a shot at every year, then we will be in consideration for New Year's bowls and playoffs.

So, for the 99th time, yes the AAC is a better conference for us than the B12, IFFFFFFF we can somehow equalize the monetary payout.

Got it?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Why would they expand and lose $ per school. Networks are not going to pay more just because teams (none who are attractive enough to increase payouts). In terms of the championship game, it makes more sense to wait and see if it is an issue first. Unless it is mandated that a championship game is needed, the Big XII would be foolish to add teams. They will wait and see if it is an issue first.

They already know it is going to be an issue. Every other conference president is going to use it against them. If you’re sitting on the selection team, you cannot tell me seeing a championship game that could put two top twenty teams against each other is a bad thing. They would equalize payouts if the right markets are brought in.

The BIG 12 has already softly made these exact statements. They made it clear that they want to expand in the Florida market knowing that Florida, Florida State, and Miami would never be an option. USF/UCF is at the front of what they want and sadly it has nothing to do with the sports teams of either school. It’s all about pitching a new plan to get more money.

Each school is located in a prime market for the BIG 12 and they also solve another problem in their minds. They make an illusion that they are helping to fix West Virginia’s travel problems by giving them two more teams east of the Midwest Line. Which they kind of do as you will see with the divisions listed below. WVU could avoid going to the state of Texas in football some years if they are given a yearly crossover with USF as a former Big East Rival.

While giving WVU this, they also bring Texas and Oklahoma to the Tampa and Orlando markets. Major for recruiting and something both of these schools badly want and need. It’s a win/win situation for the BIG 12 and mainly keeping Texas happy. Adding USF/UCF sets up an easy split for divisions.

Big 12 North

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

West Virginia

Big 12 South

Baylor

Texas

Texas Christian

Texas Tech

UCF

USF

Now you can’t tell me that does not make EVERYONE happy. Texas and Oklahoma can play the Red River Football game and no matter who wins still each team is in good positions to win their division. Kansas avoids having to see Texas and Baylor twice each season in basketball unless they meet in the conference tournament.  That split sets up Texas with a good shot to win the division in every sport each season. They would be dancing in Austin and we all know that is all that matters.

Sorry this is kind of long but I think it reads easy haha. Will this happen? Crossing my fingers it does for the Bulls sake. If we are seen as nothing more than an agent to help keep Texas happy. I’m all for it as it puts us in better position financially.

This is nothing more than delusional wishful thinking.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Among the factors that the committee will weigh are strength of schedule, conference championships, team records, and head-to-head results,plus other considerations such as injuries and weather.

Obviously it isn't the only factor, but I'm guessing it will be weighed heavily.

You don't need a championship game to win a conference championship. 

Exactly ... and it's going to take them at least a few years to see if their non-CCG champion is getting discriminated against ... which would suck because their champion would be the purest of all of them.

Ok.  So there will be a method devised to determine which four teams will make it to the final four.

Do you really think it will be impossible to tell if they will be discriminated against?  

It will be incredibly obvious.

Yeah, that's what I said ... :rolleyes:

Discrimination involves a pattern, without direct evidence. You're not going to be able to tell after just one year unless the committee blatantly says we didn't pick the Big 12 champ because they didn't have a CCG.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Slick: "Turning tail,and running is how USF got to where it's at now. I am still waiting to see a program that's left the Big East truly succeed too. It seems that more money doesn't mean more success. Going back to when BC, VT and UM left, have they done so much better than when in the Big East? What about WVU or Pitt?"

Whether it equals success or not, more money still wins out.

Wins out on what? A good friend is a WVU fan and he hates that they are in the Big 12. Hard to get to away games, no rivalries in conference. So who wins? The fans? Don't think so. The bottom line? Maybe but the bottom line has no heart. Fans do.

I would rather we stay in the AAC than switch to the Big 12. Does that mean I wouldn't try to get to the away games? No, but East Carolina and Tulane are easier for me to get to than most of the Big 12 teams. Tulsa not so much so this isn't perfect. But once we get into Divsion play in 2015 we'll have a better idea if Tulsa would be an every two year deal.

You would RATHER be in the AAC than the B12? REALLY?

He's not alone. I would too.

Of course, I'd rather be in the ACC than either, but if I had my druthers (and money was more or less equal) my conference preference would be

1. ACC

2. SEC

3. AAC

4. B10

5. B12

6. anybody else.

That makes no sense because the money IS NOT EQUAL. It's $20 million more per team in the Big12. If it were equal and access to bowl games was equal we would all rather stay in the AAC because the teams are crappier and we could win easier.

SIGH...

If the B12 invites us, we go. Everybody knows that. But the ONLY reason we go is for the money. Everybody knows that too.

It's a lose-lose situation.

We stay in the AAC, we get no money, we jump to the B12 we get no decent travel cities. And probably very few victories in the next 15 years. Finishing 10th in the B12 is not high on my bucket list.

We DON'T BELONG in the B12. The schools aren't similar, we have no natural rivals, the cities aren't similar, they're all small, rural, far away land-grant-college towns. That's not us.

We DO BELONG in a conference like the AAC (or the Metro, or CUSA, etc)- urban, modern, progressive, up-and-coming schools in big cities with (relatively) easy drives for the fans. And if we run the table, which we should have a shot at every year, then we will be in consideration for New Year's bowls and playoffs.

So, for the 99th time, yes the AAC is a better conference for us than the B12, IFFFFFFF we can somehow equalize the monetary payout.

Got it?

I'll take 10th place, playing Oklahoma and Texas, and a fistful of cash over 10th place, SMU and Tulsa, chump change and ESPN3.

I guess I'm in the minority.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Always go with the better home schedule.