• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Documentary on College Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Title IX will not allow a school to pay athletes in revenue producing sports only. If you pay college athletes, you have to pay them all.

QFT

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I think they should get the same deal or maybe even better than what grad students get to be grad research assistants. I don't see a downside. Grad student provide a service and so do tr athletes. I guess the problem is that the professor usually pays for the grad students tuition from research grants he or she has won. In athletics where would the money come from for departments that already operate at a loss? Honestly I don't see a problem with different sports getting dofferent stipends or having stipends for football and basketball. Some cry babies will say "Male athletes are getting paid more than female." And ruin it but this is how the real world works.

Let me share with you the deal I had at Texas A&M. Below was the deal I got as a GRA and I don't see any harm in giving athletes a similar one except answering the question where would the money come from if the depart operates at a loss?

First year only scholarship: $5,000 paid out over 9 months (first two semesters)

Tuition: Free

Fees: My responsibility, came to about $3,000 a year and were a ***** because you needed to pay them like $1500 upfront at the beginning of the semester.

Books: I had to pay for these, $50-250/ semester

Stipend: this is what I was paid $2,000/mo, came to about $1,725/mo after tax and a $45 health insurance deduction

Housing: my responsibility

Food: my responsibility

Breakdown... I was given a first year scholarship, free tuition and a stipend. Less the roughly $3,000+ I had to pay each year in fees and books in year one with the scholarship I lived off of $22,700 take home and in year two $17,700 take home.

And let me tell you I lived quite well. I was able to save and afford to fly to Florida about every 2-4 months and a payment on a $7,000 used car I bought $500 down. I graduated two years later taking out zero loans for graduate school and with about $2,000 in the bank as well (I still had loans from undergrad however)

If athletes are already getting free food + free housing + free tuition + free fee + free fees.....

A small stipend of $500-$1000/mo would be PLENTY!!!!

Based on what I had to pay for rent, food, books and fees a $500/mo stipend with all of those being free would have been equivalent. So a fair stipend in my opinion is about $6,000/ year and I assure you they put in less hours for their sport than I had to put in for research and my thesis.

Not to mention. FREE LAPTOPS, FREE FURNITURE!!! Throw in getting those things free and I think $3,000/year is a VERY VERY fair stipend.

My compensation when I account for the price of graduate tuition was about $40,000/year. Lower undergrad tuition rates may make this $35,000 for most athletes.

BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE ZERO EXPENSES WHAT MORE DO THEY NEED???

I'm fine with giving them a few hundred/mo stipend but they need very little. They are already compensated well if you ask me, but a little extra would not do any harm. The key here is "little". This "oh the poor student athlete" is bogus.

A big reason they don't want to pay anything is they don't want a workman comp claim if injured. It's the whole idea behind "amateur" athlete, but going back to the Greeks, the amateur athlete was getting paid.

And if programs didn't pay coaching staff millions there would be plenty of money to pay students.

There are a lot of angles behind this issue but bottom line is if students decided to boycott athletics for a year they could get whatever they want.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I think they should get the same deal or maybe even better than what grad students get to be grad research assistants. I don't see a downside. Grad student provide a service and so do tr athletes. I guess the problem is that the professor usually pays for the grad students tuition from research grants he or she has won. In athletics where would the money come from for departments that already operate at a loss? Honestly I don't see a problem with different sports getting dofferent stipends or having stipends for football and basketball. Some cry babies will say "Male athletes are getting paid more than female." And ruin it but this is how the real world works.

Let me share with you the deal I had at Texas A&M. Below was the deal I got as a GRA and I don't see any harm in giving athletes a similar one except answering the question where would the money come from if the depart operates at a loss?

First year only scholarship: $5,000 paid out over 9 months (first two semesters)

Fees: My responsibility, came to about $3,000 a year and were a ***** because you needed to pay them like $1500 upfront at the beginning of the semester.

Stipend: this is what I was paid $2,000/mo, came to about $1,725/mo after tax and a $45 health insurance deduction

Breakdown... I was given a first year scholarship, free tuition and a stipend. Less the roughly $3,000+ I had to pay each year in fees and books in year one with the scholarship I lived off of $22,700 take home and in year two $17,700 take home.

And let me tell you I lived quite well. I was able to save and afford to fly to Florida about every 2-4 months and a payment on a $7,000 used car I bought $500 down. I graduated two years later taking out zero loans for graduate school and with about $2,000 in the bank as well (I still had loans from undergrad however)

If athletes are already getting free food + free housing + free tuition + free fee + free fees.....

Based on what I had to pay for rent, food, books and fees a $500/mo stipend with all of those being free would have been equivalent. So a fair stipend in my opinion is about $6,000/ year and I assure you they put in less hours for their sport than I had to put in for research and my thesis.

Not to mention. FREE LAPTOPS, FREE FURNITURE!!! Throw in getting those things free and I think $3,000/year is a VERY VERY fair stipend.

My compensation when I account for the price of graduate tuition was about $40,000/year. Lower undergrad tuition rates may make this $35,000 for most athletes.

I'm fine with giving them a few hundred/mo stipend but they need very little. They are already compensated well if you ask me, but a little extra would not do any harm. The key here is "little". This "oh the poor student athlete" is bogus.

A big reason they don't want to pay anything is they don't want a workman comp claim if injured. It's the whole idea behind "amateur" athlete, but going back to the Greeks, the amateur athlete was getting paid.

And if programs didn't pay coaching staff millions there would be plenty of money to pay students.

There are a lot of angles behind this issue but bottom line is if students decided to boycott athletics for a year they could get whatever they want.

Why would students do that?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Without programs paying coaching staffs millions of $$$$, odds are Alabama wouldn't have won 3 national titles under Saban because Saban and any top coach with his weight would be on NFL Coaching Staffs...where they could make top $$$$.

Without those titles...without those championships, etc...schools wouldn't have tens of millions of $$$$ in donations, which actually helps build those beautiful facilities that current student-athletes use today.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Lol workmans comp claim?

They already get free medical and injury care. So what they would still receive their stipend? No big deal.

$500 dollar stipend would be fair in my opinion. Maybe $250 for basketball players and none for other sports.

Unlimited free food, free housing, free tuition easily comes to $30,000/year.

Edited by Gismo

A big reason they don't want to pay anything is they don't want a workman comp claim if injured. It's the whole idea behind "amateur" athlete, but going back to the Greeks, the amateur athlete was getting paid.And if programs didn't pay coaching staff millions there would be plenty of money to pay students.

Without programs paying coaching staffs millions of $$$$, odds are Alabama wouldn't have won 3 national titles under Saban because Saban and any top coach with his weight would be on NFL Coaching Staffs...where they could make top $$$$.

Without those titles...without those championships, etc...schools wouldn't have tens of millions of $$$$ in donations, which actually helps build those beautiful facilities that current student-athletes use today.

The money has ruined the game. Even Bear Bryant wouldn't take more then the university president made.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The money has ruined the game. Even Bear Bryant wouldn't take more then the university president made.

Now THAT's funny.

Of course he didn't need to take more than the university president. He had STACKS of illegal cash from donors.

Edited by charsibb

Lol workmans comp claim?

They already get free medical and injury care. So what they would still receive their stipend? No big deal.

$500 dollar stipend would be fair in my opinion. Maybe $250 for basketball players and none for other sports.

Unlimited free food, free housing, free tuition easily comes to $30,000/year.

Yes, Workman's Comp, which has a lot of legal rights. This all came about in the 70s.

http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/9152/20131016/walter-byers-responsible-pay-play-controversy-exists.htm

Byers became the first ever executive director of the NCAA in 1951, and soon after, coined the phrase "student athlete." Sounds innocent enough, right? After a mere 25 minutes into the film, the story of 1970s TCU football recruit Kent Waltrip exposes Byers' evil reasoning for the made up term, and the overall stranglehold he had on the college athletics landscape.

The words "student athlete," according to Byers, was just language. It was created out of thin air by the vitriolic leader, existing solely for the purpose of giving the NCAA leverage and protection against college athletes that suffer an injury and subsequently look to take legal action against their school.

"The colleges are scared to death at the prospect of having their athletes identified as employees and therefore subject to workman's comp," Byers was quoted as saying in the documentary. "I had our law firm do major research on this issue. Our law firm, they rely on the old amateur rule to say look: these are students first and athletes second. These are student athletes, and they are working at their professional training as a student, and therefore are not subject to workman's comp."

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

bogus reasoning. only so many NFL jobs. there are more than 32 quality head coaches. somebody will win a NC every year in college football regardless of how much the coaches get paid.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Notre Dame football players receive an education that costs other students parents $250,000.00. How many kids can earn that kind of money coming out of high school?

first off tuition at most universities is way overstated. they want people to feel like they are getting something of greater value. Most students receive a considerable break on the published tuition amounts. secondly ND tuition and fees is said to be $44k per year. that amounts to $75k less than the amount you stated.

not many kids can earn that much and not many kids can bring in $100M per year to a university either.

BTW UF states in their own student guide that it costs roughly $16k per year which includes a car, insurance, gas, etc. everyday living expenses. not just tuition and room / board.

Give the revenue athletes an incentive to graduate. Give them $100k when they receive their degree. a drop in the bucket. say 25 football players graduate a year (it's not even close to that). it would cost the university $2.5M which is a drop in the bucket. adjust ADs and coaches salaries down. let the players earn a few bucks

Get back to me about that $75k, after you've put two kids through ND.

BTW: Do you know how many D1 School's sports programs run in the black?

sorry but ND doesn't cost $62,500 / year. notice how you pick an expensive private school to base your argument. their athletic department brings in nearly $100M and their football program alone bring in $70M. That's $825k for every scholarship player on the team. they are about to sign a $100M deal with under armour.

Stop paying coaches and ADs millions per year then we can talk profit and loss. athletic departments aren't meant to operate at a profit even with their funny accounting methods.

• Upvote 1