• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Documentary on College Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

This may have been posted already, but I am letting ya'll know that there is a documentary on NetFlix dealing with the cost of college sports. Going to watch it this evening... 

Schooled-_The_Price_of_College_Sports_vi

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3057718/

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

That is the documentary on the argument to pay players. There is a book on it too, The System.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Notre Dame football players receive an education that costs other students parents $250,000.00. How many kids can earn that kind of money coming out of high school?

You can add to that argument that many student-athletes wouldn't even be eligible to attend (for free) the university they play for, if they weren't given preferential treatment in admissions.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Notre Dame football players receive an education that costs other students parents $250,000.00. How many kids can earn that kind of money coming out of high school?

You can add to that argument that many student-athletes wouldn't even be eligible to attend (for free) the university they play for, if they weren't given preferential treatment in admissions.

This is absolutely accurate.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

And that's exactly my argument. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

And that's exactly my argument. 

I worked **** hard throughout high school, including working community service (not that I didn't mind) and taking AP courses so I looked better to colleges (and could graduate early) and all kinds of other things one is 'highly suggested' they do to be appealing to colleges. 

And my reward? I got accepted. And even though I had absolutely 0 support from anyone (unless you count intentionally having my mom apply for loans knowing she'd be denied instantly, thus giving me more loans in my own name) I paid for my education. Through grants and loans (mostly loans). 

And I got my degree. I paid roughly 40k for it. I paid for my food, my clothes, my room, my laptop, my other laptop when that one caught fire, all of it. 

Why should student athletes be compensated more than that? They already get a free ride to the university of their choice. Athletes here get laptops (Macbook Pro) to use, they get plenty of clothing through UA, they also get free meals and a place to live on campus. 

Where's the shortfall? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

Whats the NPV of expected earnings above and beyond their next best alternative?

You get a full ride, attention unmatched by any other student, and oh by the way you have a shot at a multimillion dollar job out of school.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Can you at least watch the documentary before jumping to conclusions?

And read The System too.

http://www.amazon.com/System-Scandal-Big-Time-College-Football-ebook/dp/B00C0AM2XG/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391243157&sr=1-1&keywords=the+system

http://youtu.be/4PtjyppJyYs

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

There was no jumping to conclusions there, just stating the obvious...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

first off tuition at most universities is way overstated. they want people to feel like they are getting something of greater value. Most students receive a considerable break on the published tuition amounts. secondly ND tuition and fees is said to be $44k per year. that amounts to $75k less than the amount you stated.

not many kids can earn that much and not many kids can bring in $100M per year to a university either.

BTW UF states in their own student guide that it costs roughly $16k per year which includes a car, insurance, gas, etc. everyday living expenses. not just tuition and room / board.

Give the revenue athletes an incentive to graduate. Give them $100k when they receive their degree. a drop in the bucket. say 25 football players graduate a year (it's not even close to that). it would cost the university $2.5M which is a drop in the bucket. adjust ADs and coaches salaries down. let the players earn a few bucks

Edited by Bull94