• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Qb coach Grothe?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I wouldn't mind seeing him in some capacity. What I loved about Grothe was that he wasn't the most athletic guy ever. He didn't have the physical tools to be a great QB. His arm strength wasn't the best. But... he got it done. He made things happen that no one expected. He had the heart of a champion and the will to win like no other QB in our history IMHO. USF won games because MG made it happen.

So, surrounding your players with a guy like that can only help the mentality of this team.

To go to a baseball analogy... I have always thought that the great great hitters make terrible coaches. The guys that are so-so and are always fine-tuning their game just to try to compete are usually the best coaches because they have tweaked, refined, and experimented in their own game. I think the same is true with a QB. Ken Dorsey is probably a better QB coach than someone like Dan Marino will be. Marino was so physically gifted and naturally good that he was able to "coast" (to an extent) while someone like Dorsey had to fight.

So, Grothe may prove to be a huge help to the QBs because he's played with less arm stregth and behind a weaker OL. He's been there and he fought through it like our current QBs are going to have to do.

Edit: I see a 0% chance that he comes in as a QB coach. GA or administrative position maybe, but, having little to no coaching experience is not going to turn into a QB coaching position right away for him.

Edited by Orlando Bull

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

@Mgrothe8: Tomorrow will be a big day for me! Go bulls!

He sent that last night. I'd think he'd come on as a GA and Blackwell would be promoted to QB coach. I know Blackwell did lots of work with Team Tampa and the kids love him, I'm sure he will be the better recruiter. Two of USF's best QB's in history, not bad.

that would acutally be pretty cool.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,002
  • Days Won:  12

Will withhold comment until it's clear what's going on. But I will say I will be shocked if it's for the QB coach position.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I think he would be a GA, as at this point, there's no way (least I hope) that he would be brought in to teach QBs, especially if he's not even familiar with the system yet. Of course teaching the fundamentals is isolated from any scheme, but the QBs coach in this system needs to be familiar with the schemes and playbook in order to teach the QBs how to make the reads and call the motions and etc.

I think it could be a great opportunity though for him to be a GA and offer his thoughts and get his feet wet with a coaching staff and a team/fanbase that is familiar with him, and perhaps in time he could land a job as a QBs coach somewhere in the future.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Couldn't this be for something else entirely? All we have to connect it to us is the #gobulls he posted, right? Maybe he's got a meeting with his investment portfolio guy, or an interview as a HS coach or something.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Bobby Eveld's sister was hinting at something similar on Facebook this morning. 

Her post: "I don't know what the question is, but Matt Grothe is the answer! Haha good look on your interview today and GO BULLS!"

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

HOW a bout hiring a PROVEN winner to coach the  most important position on the team

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Her post: "I don't know what the question is, but Matt Grothe is the answer! Haha good look on your interview today and GO BULLS!"

Egads!  I really hope that you know Bobby Eveld's sister for some reason other than you were stalking her to find out info on the football program.  :)

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Egads! I really hope that you know Bobby Eveld's sister for some reason other than you were stalking her to find out info on the football program. :)

Why, yes I do. We were in student government senate together. Lol.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He is not ready to be a qb coach.