• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Getting my USF news from ESPN's Arount The Horn as of late...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Asking for what the teams record while having Internet access is not that dumb!

Sincerely,

Person with a smartphone asking for directions.

Fanfreakintastic! :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

Serious question. Knowing the .03 second rule, why not throw the ball straight to the basket? Or was the throw-in that far off the mark?

Best case you actually make a basket, worst case scenario would be goaltending wouldn't it?

I don't think you can shoot for the basket from the inbound.

Think the failed Courtney Lee inbound play from the Orlando/LA Lakers finals. Im assuming that is the kind of play he's thinking of.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

For a basket to count it must touch a player. Cannot throw it on the inbounds.

If he was actually aiming where that ball ended up, that makes sense why he didn't aim for the basket ...

Honestly, I think you would aim for the basket in that situation knowing that it would take a miracle to throw a basketball that far and get it within three feet of the basket.  If the ball somehow was headed straight for the basket, you would then hope your guy could outjump the defender and touch it on the way in which would make it a legal basket.  

More likely you hope it is in the general area of the basket and your guy can volleyball tap into the basket.  

That was an unbelievable pass.  Fieler actually made a huge mistake, he was close enough that he could have slapped at it or done a volley kind of volley with his fingers and had a chance for it to be a legal play.  Considering the officials came over during the huddle and explained it, I'm rather baffled why he chose to catch and shoot.  

Of course, I'm also baffled why this became such a big deal since the rule has been in place a long time.  It isn't realistic to expect a human scorekeeper to be able to push the button at the exact instance the player touches the ball.  If I'm the scorekeeper in that situation I'd have probably tried to err on the side of pushing the button too soon.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,704
  • Days Won:  424

If he was actually aiming where that ball ended up, that makes sense why he didn't aim for the basket ...

Honestly, I think you would aim for the basket in that situation knowing that it would take a miracle to throw a basketball that far and get it within three feet of the basket.  If the ball somehow was headed straight for the basket, you would then hope your guy could outjump the defender and touch it on the way in which would make it a legal basket.  

More likely you hope it is in the general area of the basket and your guy can volleyball tap into the basket.  

That was an unbelievable pass.  Fieler actually made a huge mistake, he was close enough that he could have slapped at it or done a volley kind of volley with his fingers and had a chance for it to be a legal play.  Considering the officials came over during the huddle and explained it, I'm rather baffled why he chose to catch and shoot.  

Of course, I'm also baffled why this became such a big deal since the rule has been in place a long time.  It isn't realistic to expect a human scorekeeper to be able to push the button at the exact instance the player touches the ball.  If I'm the scorekeeper in that situation I'd have probably tried to err on the side of pushing the button too soon.

You're probably right. He may have been aiming more for basket and it just looked like a planned spot. It'd be pretty hard to tip in from that spot .... Question, does the clock start when ball hits anything above the floor or does a player have to touch it before starting?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

You're probably right. He may have been aiming more for basket and it just looked like a planned spot. It'd be pretty hard to tip in from that spot .... Question, does the clock start when ball hits anything above the floor or does a player have to touch it before starting?

Interesting question.

I don't recall ever seeing an inbounds pass bounce off the glass or the rim (certainly the net wouldn't count).

If it hit the top, back, or side of the backboard (or one of the rafters, etc), it'd be a turnover.

Not sure what would happen if it hit the rim or glass, but I ASSUME nothing until it touched an actual player.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Must touch a human

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,704
  • Days Won:  424

Must touch a human

So wouldn't the best inbounds  in that situation be towards the  basket itself, hoping for a redirect like in hockey .... would have to be one helluva play.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Must touch a human

So wouldn't the best inbounds  in that situation be towards the  basket itself, hoping for a redirect like in hockey .... would have to be one helluva play.

If that's the case, bouncing it high off the backboard would likely be the ideal play, assuming that is legal.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Thread was much more fun updating Beastiestiltskin.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,414
  • Days Won:  13

The basketball teams are the bright light at the end of the football tunnel. Remember they are on ESPN3.com or the ESPN App on XBox if missed.