• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF doesn't impress me.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We made Bortles look like he should decide to stay at UCF another year...he faced the youngest secondary in the country, and didn't kill 'em till his last throw (safety failed to follow Bortles eyes, looking at Perriman the entire time).

The escaped the bottom teams, USF, Temple & Memphis.

But, that's what successful teams do...they WIN those games. One thing UCF does have is confidence and play makers. If they wind up playing Clemson or the like in a bowl, I see that D getting shredded. But they will fight, as they did v Lville, SCar and Penn St...as well as everyone on their schedule.

I think UCF was a play or two away from being a 3 loss team, and unranked. But it's silly to say they don't impress...we'd kill to be 10-1.

they were lucky to beat temple . they scored a TD with less than 2 minutes left to tie. they scored 2 TDs with under 3 minutes left against Memphis to win by 7. they barely got by us. yes good teams need some breaks to win close games but that's usually against other good teams or maybe one bad team. they easily could have lost to the bottom 3 teams in our conference as they were losing all three with under 6 minutes to play in the game. they don't impress me. good teams put teams like us, memphis, and temple away easily.
I agree...hence my comment that they escaped 3 bottom teams. But they find ways to win, and are very talented at the skill positions.

I watched the Temple game...Temple had them dead to rights. UCF made every play they needed to make, and Temple seemed to fold under under pressure. Still, good teams win those games. Bad teams don't. Look at LSU. 2nd string QB, ball at their 1, down 4. They drive 99 yards to beat Arkansas near the buzzer.

It just seems silly to point out the flaws on an 10-1 BCS bowl team...which has accomplished more than we ever have. I don't like UCF at all, but I'm not going to rag on them on "ifs"...that's the same "if" gig we've given UCF for years, so I don't want us to fill THOSE shoes.

just saying I'm not impressed by them as a team. sure they have an impressive record. can't take that away from them. but an impressive team to me would put teams like us, temple, and memphis away easily.

10-1 is impressive....playing a tight game with SC ....impressive.....turning the ball over 5 times and still winning....impressive

I said their record was impressive. I said I'm not impressed with them as a team. if LOSING  to south carolina is impressive then i guess beating them like Tenn did must mean they're impressive to you. or losing to them by 7 like kentucky did must mean they are impressive.

Like I said teams that impress me are ones that put away inferior competition. they were losing to Temple, memphis and USF ( a combined 7-27) with under 5 minutes to play in the game. that's not an impressive team IMO.

BTW impressive teams don't turn the ball over 5 times.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'd take an unimpressive 10-1 and a trip to a big time bowl any season. I wish USF wasn't so **** impressive with our 2-9.

no one said their record wasn't impressive. no one said USF was impressive in any way.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Rebuilding? You can't claim that for 4 straght years. UCF isn't great but as ESPN put it today .. There is bad and then there is USF bad!

Four straight years?  What are you talking about?  We won eight games four years ago and have a new coach this year.

Rebuilding Year 1 - 2010: We lost 4 conference games and finished in the middle of the pack.  Lots of folks were questioning Skip Holtz but the feeling was he needed to get his recruits in, it was a rebuilding year!  

Rebuilding Year 2 - 2011: We lost 7 games, didn't make a bowl, and finished near the bottom (maybe dead last) in conference.  More folks started thinking Skip wasn't the answer but hey, he beat Notre Dame right!  Based on this buddy of work we decided to actually give our head coach an extension.

Rebuilding Year 3 - 2012: We lost 9 games ( but did manage to beat our 1-AA and our roughly equivalent to FAU opponent).  Had we went 4-8 probably wouldn't have fired our HC as the consensus then was he needed 4 years to get a full recruiting class.  Luckily for us (or unluckily I suppose based on how Taggart turns out) we played so embarrasingly bad down the stretch that our ADs hand was forced.

Rebuilding Year 4 - 2013:  We actually lost to FAU and a 1-AA.  Not only that but we really got manhandled all over the field by them.  Team lacks any sense of pride or purpose.  Attendance figures lowest in history of USF football.  Head coach seems excited after UCF game cause the team is "starting to love each other".  Sounds a lot like SKip's "I am real proud of the way they competed out there"!

I suspect we got another 4+ years of rebuilding to go!

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,699
  • Days Won:  2

These are just jealous statements. Give them credit for winning.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Pretty much. A win is a win. They all count the same.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

You guys really don't understand the process of scouting I'm imagining. Just because a team wins doesn't mean that you can't see a lot of issues with them.

When we beat Cincinnati in Connecticut, I don't think they're a bunch of people talking about how impressive we look on here, there were still lots of issues.

I didn't think SMU or Memphis was impressive either when they beat us. Louisville and Miami, those teams looked impressive. Michigan State defense, and Houston offense, those were impressive.

Regardless of the game result and the fact they played my team, they were not a very good-looking team the last two games I watched them play.

Rebuilding? You can't claim that for 4 straght years. UCF isn't great but as ESPN put it today .. There is bad and then there is USF bad!

Four straight years? What are you talking about? We won eight games four years ago and have a new coach this year.

Rebuilding Year 1 - 2010: We lost 4 conference games and finished in the middle of the pack. Lots of folks were questioning Skip Holtz but the feeling was he needed to get his recruits in, it was a rebuilding year!

Rebuilding Year 2 - 2011: We lost 7 games, didn't make a bowl, and finished near the bottom (maybe dead last) in conference. More folks started thinking Skip wasn't the answer but hey, he beat Notre Dame right! Based on this buddy of work we decided to actually give our head coach an extension.

Rebuilding Year 3 - 2012: We lost 9 games ( but did manage to beat our 1-AA and our roughly equivalent to FAU opponent). Had we went 4-8 probably wouldn't have fired our HC as the consensus then was he needed 4 years to get a full recruiting class. Luckily for us (or unluckily I suppose based on how Taggart turns out) we played so embarrasingly bad down the stretch that our ADs hand was forced.

Rebuilding Year 4 - 2013: We actually lost to FAU and a 1-AA. Not only that but we really got manhandled all over the field by them. Team lacks any sense of pride or purpose. Attendance figures lowest in history of USF football. Head coach seems excited after UCF game cause the team is "starting to love each other". Sounds a lot like SKip's "I am real proud of the way they competed out there"!

I suspect we got another 4+ years of rebuilding to go!

Who taught smazza to use grammar and form sentences?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

You guys really don't understand the process of scouting I'm imagining. Just because a team wins doesn't mean that you can't see a lot of issues with them.

When we beat Cincinnati in Connecticut, I don't think they're a bunch of people talking about how impressive we look on here, there were still lots of issues.

I didn't think SMU or Memphis was impressive either when they beat us. Louisville and Miami, those teams looked impressive. Michigan State defense, and Houston offense, those were impressive.

Regardless of the game result and the fact they played my team, they were not a very good-looking team the last two games I watched them play.

As I said, I'd take 10-1 and your low opinion any day of the week. I'm not scouting them and I'm not even marginally impressed that you are. I watch football as a fan and I prefer winning, ugly or otherwise, to looking good. I'm well aware they have weaknesses, they let our horsefeathers team take them to the wire. No one is saying they're a national title contender, but you're pretty much just looking for crap to pick at since it's UCF. Especially if you're saying Houston putting up less than 400 yards of offense against our defense counts as impressive but UCF's 10-1 isn't. I guarantee you there's 50 teams in America that can do what Houston did against us, there aren't going to be too many that win 10+ games this year.

As I said, I'd take 10-1 and your low opinion any day of the week. I'm not scouting them and I'm not even marginally impressed that you are. I watch football as a fan and I prefer winning, ugly or otherwise, to looking good. I'm well aware they have weaknesses, they let our horsefeathers team take them to the wire. No one is saying they're a national title contender, but you're pretty much just looking for crap to pick at since it's UCF. Especially if you're saying Houston putting up less than 400 yards of offense against our defense counts as impressive but UCF's 10-1 isn't. I guarantee you there's 50 teams in America that can do what Houston did against us, there aren't going to be too many that win 10+ games this year.

I would happily take a 10 win team that doesn't look impressive. But that wasn't what this thread said. The comment was it was not an impressive team, and from what I've seen that's the correct sentiment.

Anyone who says they wouldn't switch records with them is obviously stupid. They're two separate arguments