• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart just blew any chance USF had to win.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Carolina... You can lose a game in the second quarter - see the Redskins-Broncos Super Bowl. That was a game Denver lost in the second quarter. I still agree with going for it at the time. It was a lack of execution on our part - not Taggart's.

Edited by The_Sheriff

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I was definitely not impressed with Coach Taggart. The play calling needs to come in from the booth where they can assess the situation clearly and the play can be relayed to Mike White in a timely manner. Second... we got the ball with under a 1:15 left in the second quarter and 75 yards to go; we should have run the ball. Our body work at the present time did not indicate we could move the ball adequately enough through the air. The play calling allowed UCF's offense - which is clearly better than ours, ample opportunity to move the ball quickly into our territory. Fortunately we had two bad plays from Bortles or they would have scored a TD instead of settling for three points.

I agree totally about that last series of 2nd quarter. Especially knowing we were getting the ball back to start 2nd half.

I think it is also not respecting the scouting on UCF offense. They have a good 2 minute offense.

If you think about it, between not going for field goal and giving up 3 points there it is a 6 point swing.

He has been doing that all season. He did it at UCONN and I believe we got some points off it, but I didn't like it.

To me, it is no different than what Skip used to do with BJ when he threw, I believe, 3 INTs late in first half when he could have easily run out the clock.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

While I disagree going for it, it didn't cost us the game. Multiple stupid mistakes and a team that doesn't have a killer instinct cost the game.

Team played hard they could easily have gone into that game giving up to a better team. If the offense had more tallent we would have won.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I liked the call.  We were a 2-8 team that was not going bowling that was playing their rival and he wanted to make a statement.  He has been talking all year about this team having a fragile psyche and lacking confidence.  This call was all about showing your team you have confidence in them.  You have confidence in the offense to get the 2 yards and you have confidence in the defense to stop them if you don't get it.  This was an anti-Skip call.  These players have had 3 years of playing not to lose and not playing to win with their coach having no confidence in them.  This is all about trying to change the culture.

It didn't work and we were still up 4 in the 4th quarter with the ball after a pick in UCF's territory.  This game was there for the taking despite the call.

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  99
  • Days Won:  0

No issues with the call. Was impressed he had the hair to do it. I was pissed about another wasted time out. Bad clock management.

Ucf was giving us the game. I think coach T knew ucf would get it together TDs are rare for USF. Good call but terrible execution.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

Carolina... You can lose a game in the second quarter - see the Redskins-Broncos Super Bowl. That was a game Denver lost in the second quarter. I still agree with going for it at the time. It was a lack of execution on our part - not Taggart's.

Yeah you can definitely lose a game in the second quarter. I fall in the camp of not going for it though. Our offense has demonstrated all year that they are terrible at execution especially in the red zone. Two yards might as well be a mile, so I would take the points. I thought it was a desperate call after a lot of talk about how the team gets nervous in the red zone.

I'm just a guy though, what do I know :P

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Nick Saban's decision to try a 57 yard field goal with a kicker who never kicked one over 20 ended badly.

Brady Hoke's decision to go for the game leading 2 point conversion ended badly.

Defensible calls? High risk ones both of them.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Nick Saban's decision to try a 57 yard field goal with a kicker who never kicked one over 20 ended badly.

Brady Hoke's decision to go for the game leading 2 point conversion ended badly.

These are perfect, spot-on comparisons. Context is exactly the same.

/sarcasm

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

I liked the call.  We were a 2-8 team that was not going bowling that was playing their rival and he wanted to make a statement.  He has been talking all year about this team having a fragile psyche and lacking confidence.  This call was all about showing your team you have confidence in them.  You have confidence in the offense to get the 2 yards and you have confidence in the defense to stop them if you don't get it.  This was an anti-Skip call.  These players have had 3 years of playing not to lose and not playing to win with their coach having no confidence in them.  This is all about trying to change the culture.

It didn't work and we were still up 4 in the 4th quarter with the ball after a pick in UCF's territory.  This game was there for the taking despite the call.

That.

No one mentions the "3 points lost" on Kloss' missed FG, late in the game.  The Mike White pick on the final drive was the second chance we had to tie the game.  We lost this game because of a lack of execution by players who have not "learned how to win" yet. 

I honestly don't know how anyone can watch that game and think that our coaching staff didn't coach their asses off and put their team in position to succeed.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

These are perfect, spot-on comparisons. Context is exactly the same.

/sarcasm

Didn't say it was a spot on comparison. Just noting a couple much more egregious coaching decisions, IMO.