• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football post-Holtz, what are your feelings so far?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

leavitt left program in bad shape

Surprise, surprise, smazza gets it wrong again.  

Maybe you forgot we had 0 receivers when Leavitt "left".  The offense was bad, which was the only thing Skip did relatively well.

We had Sterling Griffin, AJ Love, Dontavia Bogan, Evan Landi ... Carlton Mitchell left for the draft early, so don't see how that's his fault.  

Care to try again?

You don't see how that's his fault?  Leavitt routinely had four and five wide receivers in the game.  But when he left there were four or five receivers on scholarship.  That is like having only one scholarship QB, oh wait we had that too.  Landi was a TE forced to play WR because we had no WRs.  

With us running the spread as much as we did under Leavitt, we should have had a minimum of 15 WRs on scholarship at all times.  Face reality, he was a pretty good coach at getting his players ready to play but his recruiting left a lot to be desired in the later years.

Yes and? You talk about scholarship QBs. Leavitt went into 2009 with Grothe as the starter and Daniels as the heir apparent. yes, Grothe got injured and Daniels came in as the starter, but that happens in football games. he also had Brion Carnes in the pipeline as his next spread QB for when Daniels left (or as a transitional Qb for another top recruit). I believe that Carnes would likely have started here or at least been a top backup-he was a good QB from a good program, and got a very raw deal at Nebraska. 

Not only that, remember he brought in a top 25 recruiting class in 2009-that same class that two years later looked great under Holtz except for their inability to win football games (something I put a lot on Holtz, who doesn't know how to win). You think Leavitt would have done badly in 2011? We can't judge since we don't know, but if he's putting that top 25 class on the field for three years, you better believe we're getting better all around and good classes would have continued to come into the program. We suffered a lot of injuries in 2008 and 2009, and the backups were still working on getting up to BCS quality at the time. 

Leavitt is a legitimate football coach. If he gets a top 25 class ready to play, you best believe they're going to be very good. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

leavitt left program in bad shape

Surprise, surprise, smazza gets it wrong again.  

Maybe you forgot we had 0 receivers when Leavitt "left".  The offense was bad, which was the only thing Skip did relatively well.

We had Sterling Griffin, AJ Love, Dontavia Bogan, Evan Landi ... Carlton Mitchell left for the draft early, so don't see how that's his fault.  

Care to try again?

You don't see how that's his fault?  Leavitt routinely had four and five wide receivers in the game.  But when he left there were four or five receivers on scholarship.  That is like having only one scholarship QB, oh wait we had that too.  Landi was a TE forced to play WR because we had no WRs.  

With us running the spread as much as we did under Leavitt, we should have had a minimum of 15 WRs on scholarship at all times.  Face reality, he was a pretty good coach at getting his players ready to play but his recruiting left a lot to be desired in the later years.

Yes and? You talk about scholarship QBs. Leavitt went into 2009 with Grothe as the starter and Daniels as the heir apparent. yes, Grothe got injured and Daniels came in as the starter, but that happens in football games. he also had Brion Carnes in the pipeline as his next spread QB for when Daniels left (or as a transitional Qb for another top recruit). I believe that Carnes would likely have started here or at least been a top backup-he was a good QB from a good program, and got a very raw deal at Nebraska. 

Not only that, remember he brought in a top 25 recruiting class in 2009-that same class that two years later looked great under Holtz except for their inability to win football games (something I put a lot on Holtz, who doesn't know how to win). You think Leavitt would have done badly in 2011? We can't judge since we don't know, but if he's putting that top 25 class on the field for three years, you better believe we're getting better all around and good classes would have continued to come into the program. We suffered a lot of injuries in 2008 and 2009, and the backups were still working on getting up to BCS quality at the time. 

Leavitt is a legitimate football coach. If he gets a top 25 class ready to play, you best believe they're going to be very good. 

Carnes badly wanted to go to Nebraska.  If you really think he would have come to USF if Leavitt had remained the coach you are delusional.

Leavitt had several years of recruiting at the BCS level to make his teams "very good" and they never got there.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

I am encouraged. We'll be back to a bowl game next year and playing for a conference title in two to three. :) 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

The simple fact of Skip Holtz not being here is good enough for me to be happy. The wins will come eventually (Against atrocious competition).

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

Win 2 more games (Memphis and SMU) and we will have 4 wins in our conference. More than last year put together.

^This

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Nope. That's my analysis.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Holtz sucked plain and simple.

Taggart is on the right track and we are seeing some growth. If we can finish the season strong with a few more wins and keep recruiting up, there will be some positive momentum going into next season. We really need to patch up the secondary and improve in the front seven and passing game if we want to even be competitive though.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Anything worth a **** is going to take time... White is very promising, Willie is finding his groove, and I think he takes losing a helluvalot more personal than CSH ever did. 

I don't believe that to be true.  May not have worn his emotions on his sleeve but he hated the losing.

I don't know if he hated losing as much as he LOVED "competing".

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Love Taggart, dislike Holtz, feel fantastic.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

Taggart is moving this team in the right direction.

• Upvote 1