• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football post-Holtz, what are your feelings so far?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

leavitt left program in bad shape

Surprise, surprise, smazza gets it wrong again.  

Maybe you forgot we had 0 receivers when Leavitt "left".  The offense was bad, which was the only thing Skip did relatively well.

We had Sterling Griffin, AJ Love, Dontavia Bogan, Evan Landi ... Carlton Mitchell left for the draft early, so don't see how that's his fault.  

Care to try again?

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe you forgot we had 0 receivers when Leavitt "left".  The offense was bad, which was the only thing Skip did relatively well.

Lets put that in perspective.  Carlton Mitchell most likely left due to coaching change. He still had Dontavia Bogan.  How could anyone antcipate that Sterling Griffin and A.J love would get hurt.  Skippy also signed Andre Davis that year.  So I would hardly say the cupboard was bare but there were a lot of bad breaks for the team.  

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Shadow, the biggest evidence against the scheme change being the a major hurdle is to look at the offense last year after BJ went down.

Everyone says the team bailed on Skip, but personally, I don't buy it.  The final two and a half games running Holtz spread offense with Floyd/Eveld were flat out awful (116 yards total off against Pitt, I believe).  The defensive scheme might have been a big change, but our defense last year was pretty bad too.

Skip get the blame, and pretty rightfully so, for not bringing in a single serviceable QB in the entire 3 years he was here.  He may have gotten one that flipped to UCLA had he not gotten fired, but he wiffed on many before that one.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

I will say 2 things:

1) CWT has far better clock management abilities (Not going for the element of surprise and not using available timeouts in redzone...CSH lol)

2) Defense is getting better each game (Too much bending AND breaking last year!!)

Can we we judge the time management skills? We've been in one game all year

I can agree with this, but I will say that at least CWT is yet to go in to the half with three timeouts.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I will say 2 things:

1) CWT has far better clock management abilities (Not going for the element of surprise and not using available timeouts in redzone...CSH lol)

2) Defense is getting better each game (Too much bending AND breaking last year!!)

Can we we judge the time management skills? We've been in one game all year

I can agree with this, but I will say that at least CWT is yet to go in to the half with three timeouts.

He needed to use every one of them against McNeese just to stop the bleeding.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

We had Sterling Griffin, AJ Love, Dontavia Bogan, Evan Landi ... Carlton Mitchell left for the draft early, so don't see how that's his fault.  

Care to try again?

You don't see how that's his fault?  Leavitt routinely had four and five wide receivers in the game.  But when he left there were four or five receivers on scholarship.  That is like having only one scholarship QB, oh wait we had that too.  Landi was a TE forced to play WR because we had no WRs.  

With us running the spread as much as we did under Leavitt, we should have had a minimum of 15 WRs on scholarship at all times.  Face reality, he was a pretty good coach at getting his players ready to play but his recruiting left a lot to be desired in the later years.

Care to try again?

You don't see how that's his fault?  Leavitt routinely had four and five wide receivers in the game.  But when he left there were four or five receivers on scholarship.  That is like having only one scholarship QB, oh wait we had that too.  Landi was a TE forced to play WR because we had no WRs.  

With us running the spread as much as we did under Leavitt, we should have had a minimum of 15 WRs on scholarship at all times.  Face reality, he was a pretty good coach at getting his players ready to play but his recruiting left a lot to be desired in the later years.

4 or 5 receivers =/= 0 receivers.  That's the whole point I was trying to make.  USF football was a bowl team when Leavitt got fired.  The program itself was NOT in bad shape.  

Shadow, the biggest evidence against the scheme change being the a major hurdle is to look at the offense last year after BJ went down.

Everyone says the team bailed on Skip, but personally, I don't buy it.  The final two and a half games running Holtz spread offense with Floyd/Eveld were flat out awful (116 yards total off against Pitt, I believe).  The defensive scheme might have been a big change, but our defense last year was pretty bad too.

Skip get the blame, and pretty rightfully so, for not bringing in a single serviceable QB in the entire 3 years he was here.  He may have gotten one that flipped to UCLA had he not gotten fired, but he wiffed on many before that one.

I hear you.  But we will never know if Eveld or Floyd could have succeeded in a spread offense with a different coach.  I am pretty sure that completely changing the offensive system did not help either one.

Care to try again?

4 or 5 receivers =/= 0 receivers.  That's the whole point I was trying to make.  USF football was a bowl team when Leavitt got fired.  The program itself was NOT in bad shape.  

Running a spread offense with 4 or 5 receivers is a recipe for disaster.  You cannot possibly expect them to all be 100% healthy the entire season.  That is ridiculous.  Especially with AJ Love already having missed a season due to an ACL.  And if you are counting Landi as a receiver you have issues.

I really have a hard time believing that we are having this discussion about seasons that happened 3 years ago.  Tell me what disaster got cooked up because of this recipe you're speaking of.  What epic fail, other than the 2nd half of the UF game, did we end up with in 2010?  

No one is saying we should have been Big East champs or better in 2010.  The father of our program got ousted and we had to hire someone a bit last minute recruiting-wise.  

No one is saying here that Leavitt left us the perfect team.  I'm not even saying Leavitt left us a great team.  

He did leave us a GOOD team.  8-5 and MCC Bowl champs over Clemson. 

Again, I was only address Bull Martin's comment about "zero" receivers.  Maybe he was speaking figuratively, but he chose to post that in contrast to my assertion that smazza was wrong when he said "leavitt left us in bad shape."  Smazza's statement is overall completely false.