• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dalvin Cook, 5-star RB, Miami Central

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If this kid picks usf without having taken a visit, the NCAA has every reason to investigate.

WTF?  Sometimes I wonder, other times I'm sure.

What makes you think he hasn't visited?  A visit doesn't have to be an official visit, and USF is close enough he'd be kind of stupid to waste an official if he can go somewhere more distant on the school's dime.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Can things such as food and hotel and other things be paid for by the school on unofficials or no? And they get only 5 officials right?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Regular visits are not like official visits. Official visits are the schools rolling out the red carpet for food, activities, touring ray jay, taking them to other sporting events and having hosts take them to parties. The school has them for 48 hours and puts them up at the embassy suites. They also schedule meetings with academic advisors and are allowed to pay for one parent to visit with them.

Almost none of that is allowed on an unofficial visit. Based on recollection I cannot recall anyone signing with usf without taking an official visit. The ones who may have were jucos (Jacquian Williams maybe) but none out of high school.

Can things such as food and hotel and other things be paid for by the school on unofficials or no? And they get only 5 officials right?

No food and no hotels on unofficials. Kids get 5 officials.

Schools are limited to a set number they can host as well. 45 maybe? Can't recall the exact number.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Regular visits are not like official visits. Official visits are the schools rolling out the red carpet for food, activities, touring ray jay, taking them to other sporting events and having hosts take them to parties. The school has them for 48 hours and puts them up at the embassy suites. They also schedule meetings with academic advisors and are allowed to pay for one parent to visit with them.

Almost none of that is allowed on an unofficial visit. Based on recollection I cannot recall anyone signing with usf without taking an official visit. The ones who may have were jucos (Jacquian Williams maybe) but none out of high school.

I'm almost positive that the kid can meet with an academic advisor.  Pretty much any prospective student can, why would they ban that for a prospective student athlete?  Unofficial visitors are allowed to do pretty much anything an official visitor can, they just have to pay their own way.  It is not the least bit unusual for a student to take officials to far away places and unofficials to nearby schools.  Happens all the time.  Cook can get an official to just about any school in the country.  Why would he waste officials on local schools unless they are going to take him out on a party boat or something?

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I'm almost positive that the kid can meet with an academic advisor. Pretty much any prospective student can, why would they ban that for a prospective student athlete? Unofficial visitors are allowed to do pretty much anything an official visitor can, they just have to pay their own way. It is not the least bit unusual for a student to take officials to far away places and unofficials to nearby schools. Happens all the time. Cook can get an official to just about any school in the country. Why would he waste officials on local schools unless they are going to take him out on a party boat or something?

I can't think of a time a recruit, much less an elite recruit, chose a school that did not host him on an ov.

moreover, I cannot recall a time that usf flipped a hs recruit that didn't take an ov. . . . . Only schools like Alabama and Texas pull that off. . . . And not on elite hs prospects.

Edited by Carolina_Bull

That's why I said "almost" none of that would be allowed on an unofficial.

On an unofficial a school cannot:

- pay for travel

- pay for lodging

- pay for food (this year they are taking them to Columbia for one meal)

- can pay for all of the above for parents/guardians also

- the dinner cruise (usf has done in past) on Tampa bay

- Busch gardens (usf has done)

- do anything specific for the recruit (name and number on the jumbotron- although not sure if still allowed)

USF never foregoes trying to get official visits from even kids committed to us. Kids and families may not understand the difference between officials and unofficials and may wonder why Podunk U rolled out the red carpet and usf did not, so usf does not simply forego the official.

Also, given the economic background of a lot of the families it may be the first time that parents will be seeing the campus due to costs being covered.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550

I'm almost positive that the kid can meet with an academic advisor.  Pretty much any prospective student can, why would they ban that for a prospective student athlete?  Unofficial visitors are allowed to do pretty much anything an official visitor can, they just have to pay their own way.  It is not the least bit unusual for a student to take officials to far away places and unofficials to nearby schools.  Happens all the time.  Cook can get an official to just about any school in the country.  Why would he waste officials on local schools unless they are going to take him out on a party boat or something?

Yes.  During an unofficial visit, the student can meet with academic officials (advisers, teachers, financial-aid, etc.)

They basically can visit the practice sites, eat with the team, and even stay in the housing during the visit, provided that all of these options are paid for by the student in full (absolutely no discounts) and would be normally be available to other students

They can be given up to 3 free tickets to home athletic events.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663

Cook is going to UF and Yearby is going to Miami.

We need to either flip Trevon Walters or get D'Ernest Johnson.

If Mike Blakely transfers in this year that would be a huge plus as well.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I believe that we have 0.01% chance of landing either of these kids at this point. The .01% comes from their relationship with Coach Telly