• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Eveld's progress?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

We have HS talent at QB.

We have the worst QBs in the country. The lack of depth behind BJ is pathetic. Taggart must recruit all the QBs he can for the future.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

I think Eveld can be a Brad Johnson type QB, not flashy or mobile, but can do enough to win you some games.

Going forward, what games will those be?  Louisville has arguably the best defense out there and a Brad Johnson type isnt going to get it done.  Louisville will score on us and we have to put offensive points on the board to be competitive.  5 days later Eveld may still be the starter going into Houston up against a true freshman we recruited whose got a 5-0 team.  

After those two games Id argue Evelds college career is effectively over as a senior unless Bench cant come back.

We wont be competitive with Louisville and Houston without an offense that isnt significantly better than what weve seen this year, so Eveld needs to break out in a big way. 

We have already seen 2 better defenses then UL - Mich St and Miami.  Not knocking UL but their D isn't at those teams level.  Now their O may be the best we see all year.

Louisville is number 2 in FBS in total defense, and number 1 in scoring defense.  Im not understanding what you are basing your opinion on.  You can knock their opponents if you want but remember, one game each for Mich St and Miami have already come against USF and its near last offense, which includes McNeese and FAU games.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I too can't knock his throwing the ball away. He definitely doesn't make his reads fast enough, see the field well enough, and puts his head down too soon. But he just doesn't have the talent to do things quickly & accurately so it's better to maintain field position than panic & throw INTs or fumble.

But give him a little time/space, and Eveld actually does okay--several passes at UConn were either on the money or catchable. Again, the needed improvements on offense go well beyond just the QB position, but I'll grant you that the QB affects momentum & morale more than any other position. He's not the best, but he's the best healthy option we have.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558

I think Eveld can be a Brad Johnson type QB, not flashy or mobile, but can do enough to win you some games.

Going forward, what games will those be?  Louisville has arguably the best defense out there and a Brad Johnson type isnt going to get it done.  Louisville will score on us and we have to put offensive points on the board to be competitive.  5 days later Eveld may still be the starter going into Houston up against a true freshman we recruited whose got a 5-0 team.  

After those two games Id argue Evelds college career is effectively over as a senior unless Bench cant come back.

We wont be competitive with Louisville and Houston without an offense that isnt significantly better than what weve seen this year, so Eveld needs to break out in a big way. 

We have already seen 2 better defenses then UL - Mich St and Miami.  Not knocking UL but their D isn't at those teams level.  Now their O may be the best we see all year.

Louisville is number 2 in FBS in total defense, and number 1 in scoring defense.  Im not understanding what you are basing your opinion on.  You can knock their opponents if you want but remember, one game each for Mich St and Miami have already come against USF and its near last offense, which includes McNeese and FAU games.

so you are saying their defense is decent?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

I hope they dont call more than 20 pass plays. If Bobby goes 6 for 25 that makes me think they should've only attempted about 15 since 10 of those passes were thown away.Seems like when even when 8 guys are in the box he's still sub 30% completions. Were just not a passing team and everybodys knows that. Bench would only be marginally better because of receiver drops and mistakes. Have we had a 20+ yard completion this year?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

The receivers share as much blame as Eveld gets here. They need to use McFarland more especially near the endzone he is a big time mismatch.

Near the end zone? We did not get into the red zone against UConn.

Well if we ever get in red zone at some point the rest of the year that's my guy.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386

Eveld would be good if throwing the ball into the sidelines counted as a completion. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I thought this thread was going to be about how well he's progressed towards getting his degree. Bummer.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I thought this thread was going to be about how well he's progressed towards getting his degree. Bummer.

:D

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Against Cinci I remember the protection being not so good. You had Bench go down and Eveld got hit several times and was definitely hurt by the end. UConn I thought the protection was better but Eveld was less mobile than usual.

Anyhow I guess we will see if Uconn Eveld was just a product of injury or not. But if he plays like the Cinci game I think we could get more Ws this season. Was I the only one who watched that game? I will take QB play like that anyday.

As far as mobility goes I think the right play calls for blitz can be amazing offense weapons. But Strong is a defensive mind so it could be a long game. Brad Johnson was a dink and dunk type of QB under Gruden which doesnt require much time but the play calling has to be there.

Edited by Bull-Hornz