• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Basketball updates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=36686&SPID=2923&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209269496

Basketball Practice begin today!!!

Joey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls

Looked like Bulls men installed a ton of stuff on Day 1 of practice. Heath: "I really like this group. They're tuned in

Naturally, @Coach_Heath excited about new big men. Since his arrival, 6-8 frosh Chris Perry has gone from 245-266 lbs and not lost a step

6-7 soph Zach LeDay, who played at 223 last year, now at 245, @Coach_Heath said.

Heath on frontcourt: "Their size alone and their athleticism is double where we were last year. So we're already better there."

We got killed underneath last year so the new guys fill huge positions of need. Its going to be on coach this year IMO, hes got the guys he needs. Two big OOC games at home this year, Ok State (Smart is gone) and Alabama. Conference schedule has changed somewhat but still very tough. The basement is not an option.

Smart is still there as well as Nash. It will be a very tough game!

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=36686&SPID=2923&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209269496

Looked like Bulls men installed a ton of stuff on Day 1 of practice. Heath: "I really like this group. They're tuned in

Naturally, @Coach_Heath excited about new big men. Since his arrival, 6-8 frosh Chris Perry has gone from 245-266 lbs and not lost a step

6-7 soph Zach LeDay, who played at 223 last year, now at 245, @Coach_Heath said.

Heath on frontcourt: "Their size alone and their athleticism is double where we were last year. So we're already better there."

We got killed underneath last year so the new guys fill huge positions of need. Its going to be on coach this year IMO, hes got the guys he needs. Two big OOC games at home this year, Ok State (Smart is gone) and Alabama. Conference schedule has changed somewhat but still very tough. The basement is not an option.

Yeah, Smart's been the talk of CBB, as is OSU. That game will be awesome. Should be undefeated going in and OSU will be ranked, stinks its a Monday night but still should be 8k+.

Edited by theman123

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

my early prediction is 23-10 and a 10 seed NCAA Tourney

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Wow, love the optimism here. Hope you guys are right but we have a lot to prove. Should do better with the new conference though.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

11-7

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803

We were not bad last year on the outside...lack of Bigs was suicide in the Big East however and we didn't stand a chance last year. I think this year we turn the corner.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

I'm just hoping to see an improvement in:

a) rebounding

B) half court offense (not having AC force up a shot as the clock runs down too many times)

c) tempo - a few more fast break baskets

If all of those improve the record should follow.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

We got killed underneath last year so the new guys fill huge positions of need.  Its going to be on coach this year IMO, hes got the guys he needs.  Two big OOC games at home this year, Ok State (Smart is gone) and Alabama.  Conference schedule has changed somewhat but still very tough.  The basement is not an option.

Your right, hes a potential top 5 pick but not until next year's NBA draft.  Actually those two aren't what did us in that game, it was their 7 footer who we had no answer for underneath gobbling up boards.  We owe them a loss in our building.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Bulls' Strength in Numbers Has Heath Thinking Fast

TAMPA – Head coach Stan Heath wants to make the Bulls an up-tempo team and he has the numbers to make it happen in 2013-14 thanks to a strong recruiting class.

Heath spoke to the media on Tuesday and went into detail about all the weapons he has at his disposal as USF looks to book an NCAA tournament trip for the second time in two seasons.

“If we had to play I’d have no problem with playing nine guys and being good to go. I’d feel comfortable with 10, 11, 12, too,†Heath said. “Nine guys right now is a good number for us to play. This team can handle a guy in foul trouble, and knock on wood, a small injury or something like that. I feel good about the depth of this team.â€\

Star junior Anthony Collins is back with more help behind him at the point guard position and high-flying Victor Rudd now has the flexibility of playing small or power forward thanks to USF’s big freshmen additions down low – 6-foot-10 John Egbunu and 6-foot-8 Chris Perry. USF’s latest recruiting class was ranked 12th nationally by HoopScoop.com and 21st by ESPN Recruiting Nation.

“I feel good about playing at a much faster pace and playing with much more pressure on the defensive end,†Heath said.

Egbunu, from Fort Walton Beach, wowed Heath by touching the top of the backboard in practice and his physical ability could really help the inside game USF is looking to establish now that it has numbers. Egbunu was rated seventh nationally at his position by ESPN and stood out at the NBA Top 100 camp last summer.

“He’s one of those guys if he’s even with you and he goes up, he’s getting it,†Heath said. “We had a scrimmage the other day and he had nine rebounds. We only played 30 minutes.â€

Perry was rated as the No. 23 power forward recruit nationally by ESPN after averaging 13.3 points and 11.5 rebounds at Bartow High School, which is about 40 miles east of Tampa.

“The way he posts up is the best on the team right now,†Rudd said. “He has a right hand and a left hand right now, and a lot of freshmen can’t do that.â€

Cleaves Stops by to See Heath, Bulls

The Bulls got a special treat in their first week of practice when former USF coach Seth Greenberg stopped by to talk to the team and the list of special guests continued Tuesday.

Former Michigan State guard and three-time All-American Mateen Cleaves watched practice at the Muma Center before giving the team some more valuable advice. Heath was an assistant on the Michigan State coaching staff in 2000, when Cleaves led the Spartans to a national championship.

“He has a hard-working mentality and that’s one thing that I think will lead to success,†Cleaves said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a great year because I know the type of work Coach Heath has put in.â€

Cleaves, who played in the NBA for Detroit, Sacramento, Cleveland and Seattle, now serves as an analyst for CBS Sports Network and also covers Pistons games. Cleaves said he jumped at the chance to pay Heath and the Bulls a visit and was impressed with the staff’s enthusiasm during a pre-practice meeting.

“It was all business and I can respect that as a guy that’s around a lot of basketball,†Cleaves said. “They were throwing around a bunch of great ideas and they’ve very ambitious about the year. That was impressive to me. I like the way they do things around here.â€

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209278994