• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Elijah Ironside QB Hillgrove High School, Powder Springs GA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I try to catch the Marshall WVU game whenever I can partly because it's a rivalry game and partly because I just like to see West Virginia lose. But I'm not sure they're still playing it anymore.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

My post was not intended as a shot at Marshall; it's just what they are doing - quite successfully. I don't begrudge them for it but it's been widely discussed and I don't think you can just ignore that it's why they are pulling highly touted guys.

It was absolutely intended as a shot at Marshall and an attempt to pretend we have an academic standard to brag about.

Come on, you're not that dense. Of course we have an academic standard, as does Marshall. Neither are anything to brag about. But as far as I know, Marshall is the only major program that is formally affiliated with a CC/prep school to deal with these issues.

It's just the facts man... Kendall Gant, I believe, cried during an interview last year because he wanted to go to Georgia (had already committed to them) so bad, but had to go to Marshall instead because he wasn't going to qualify at UGA. There are plenty of other guys who have make the same type of public decision. Again, don't begrudge them for it, but that's the reality of the situation.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I try to catch the Marshall WVU game whenever I can partly because it's a rivalry game and partly because I just like to see West Virginia lose. But I'm not sure they're still playing it anymore.

If you're talking football, WVU has never lost to Marshall, in over 100 years playing (off & on).  The series stopped in 2013, after WVU settled into the Big 12.  Lots of unhappy people, especially Marshall fans who feel they have finally caught up to WVU.

Hopefully this, and other rivalries killed by re-alignment (e.g. UT-Texas A&M; Pitt-WVU) are rekindled.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Yes, I know Marshall had a snowballs chance in Hades, but one of the recent games they were giving WVU a run for the money for at least part of the game.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777

My post was not intended as a shot at Marshall; it's just what they are doing - quite successfully. I don't begrudge them for it but it's been widely discussed and I don't think you can just ignore that it's why they are pulling highly touted guys.

It was absolutely intended as a shot at Marshall and an attempt to pretend we have an academic standard to brag about.
Come on, you're not that dense. Of course we have an academic standard, as does Marshall. Neither are anything to brag about. But as far as I know, Marshall is the only major program that is formally affiliated with a CC/prep school to deal with these issues.

It's just the facts man... Kendall Gant, I believe, cried during an interview last year because he wanted to go to Georgia (had already committed to them) so bad, but had to go to Marshall instead because he wasn't going to qualify at UGA. There are plenty of other guys who have make the same type of public decision. Again, don't begrudge them for it, but that's the reality of the situation.

Frankie Hernandez did the same last year as well. Was committed to us couldn't get in and had to go to Marshall. They have a prep school that the kids can go to for a semester while still attending Marshall and not use a year of eligibility while still being on campus with the team.

Definitely not a dig at Marshall They found a loophole and use it to get athletes they normally wouldn't.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

How is that a loophole? If a kid couldn't qualify and went to HCC here in town to raise his grades, he wouldn't lose a year of eligibility either. As long as he was taking one class at USF as a non-degree seeking student, he coukd work out with the team and then upon later acceptance his class would count towards his degree.

Yes, I know Marshall had a snowballs chance in Hades, but one of the recent games they were giving WVU a run for the money for at least part of the game.

Yes, a few years ago they SHOULD have beaten them, losing the lead very late and then losing in OT.  WVU country was in suicide mode till Marshall managed to fumble the ball away while trying to seal the win.  Huntington would've been a madhouse all night, and beyond, had they silenced WVU fans for at least a year.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048

How is that a loophole? If a kid couldn't qualify and went to HCC here in town to raise his grades, he wouldn't lose a year of eligibility either. As long as he was taking one class at USF as a non-degree seeking student, he coukd work out with the team and then upon later acceptance his class would count towards his degree.

Ok, but we don't use that type of arrangement. Marshall does, and is (as far as I know) the only school on the country with such a set up. They have derived substantial benefit from being able to formally enroll non-qualifiers. Nothing wrong with that, but it is the reality we are operating in.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Yes, a few years ago they SHOULD have beaten them, losing the lead very late and then losing in OT.  WVU country was in suicide mode till Marshall managed to fumble the ball away while trying to seal the win.  Huntington would've been a madhouse all night, and beyond, had they silenced WVU fans for at least a year.

wasn't that Doc Holiday's first year coaching them?

wasn't that Doc Holiday's first year coaching them?

I believe so.  They had WVU dead to rights, in the 4th, just needing to grind out the clock.  My WVU wife was a mess, and her family in full meltdown.  I'm guessing the power of WVU prayer that day exceeded Marshall's :lmao: