• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone watch the LaTech vs Tulane game last night?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I was just surprised he actually took the risk! What's next, a fake kick? LOL

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

LaTech was in 3rd and long situations all game long, and their offense looked anemic. I understand that LaTech graduated quite a few players, so they're rebuilding a bit, but it was tough watching the same types of things that irked me while Skippy was on USF's sidelines. His decision-making is confounding still.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

While he would have had to go for two eventually.  You don't do it then.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

They would have had to go for 2 eventually. I don't get why it matters if its the first TD or the second. If he misses it on the next TD, he still needs the ball one more time.

Its a % and odds game. If you kick the PAT you have a chance at scoring again and can tie the game with a score and 2pt conversion. However if you go for 2 there and make it you are in the same boat and still have to score another TD, but if you miss the 2pt you are down 2 scores and your chances to tie are drastically reduced. Its risk vs reward. You risk everything by going for 2 with no real reward because if you take the safe/correct choice you are still in need of a TD. Risk vs Reward.

Skippy is the worst coach in football!

It's not a risk vs reward. He has no choice but to go for 2 on either the present TD or the next one. The next TD missing the 2 would still make add another possession.

Either way he has no choice but to go for 2 eventually.

What he gains or losses by going for 2 when after a TD when down by 8 or when down by 15, the consequences of failing to convert are the same.

+1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  150
  • Days Won:  0

While he would have had to go for two eventually.  You don't do it then.

EXACTLY!  Gismo I am sry but you are completely wrong.  Is does matter when you go for 2.  Going for 2 then and not converting basically says to his team game over, might as well give up cause getting 2 scores in 4 mins is not gonna happen.  Getting the PAT and being down 8 he can motivate his team to say hey we are only down a score, lets get this in the endzone and tie this game.  Its all about momentum, motivation, perceived results.  Ask any coach what is to be done in that situation and they say you kick the PAT, any coach not named SKip.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

The difference is mental...

If you take the PAT... The players have a lot more to play for... The defense knows they can go out, make a quick stop and have time to tie the game.

If you go for two and miss, you lose the mental edge. The likelihood of scoring twice is significantly lower.

Personally I would have kicked the PAT.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  150

They would have had to go for 2 eventually. I don't get why it matters if its the first TD or the second. If he misses it on the next TD, he still needs the ball one more time.

Its a % and odds game. If you kick the PAT you have a chance at scoring again and can tie the game with a score and 2pt conversion. However if you go for 2 there and make it you are in the same boat and still have to score another TD, but if you miss the 2pt you are down 2 scores and your chances to tie are drastically reduced. Its risk vs reward. You risk everything by going for 2 with no real reward because if you take the safe/correct choice you are still in need of a TD. Risk vs Reward.

Skippy is the worst coach in football!

It's not a risk vs reward. He has no choice but to go for 2 on either the present TD or the next one. The next TD missing the 2 would still make add another possession.

Either way he has no choice but to go for 2 eventually.

What he gains or losses by going for 2 when after a TD when down by 8 or when down by 15, the consequences of failing to convert are the same.

+1

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.  The consequences are much different in perceived outcome of the game to his team.  As soon as the missed the 2pt conversion the game is over in basically they have nothing to play for.  they are down 2 scores with 4 mins left a very improbable situation to come back from.  They kick the PAT they think in their heads that they can stil do this thing down 1 score.

Its like when USF was down last year by like 2-3 td with Skip and on 4th and whatever he kicked a FG.  Yeah USF needed points but a FG doesnt get you to the end result you want.  3 points was as good as 0 points in that situation so you have to go for it.  SKip is a horrible coach and game manager.  He proves it over and over again.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

While he would have had to go for two eventually. You don't do it then.

This.

But Skip liked to get em over with.

Keep in mind he's on his UConn plan. Win 4 games a season than win a low rate conference.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The difference is mental...

If you take the PAT... The players have a lot more to play for... The defense knows they can go out, make a quick stop and have time to tie the game.

If you go for two and miss, you lose the mental edge. The likelihood of scoring twice is significantly lower.

Personally I would have kicked the PAT.

Agree with this.  Kick the PAT and it's literally a 1 possession game (2-pt conversion successful or not doesn't matter because a TD isn't guaranteed).  You make it a 1-possession game first and then worry about a stop, then worry about a TD on offense, AND THEN worry about a 2-pt conversion try ... if you can get all that done in time.  

I agree with the big fail on Skip's part.   

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  87

I was curious to see what La Tech fans thought about the game and found this gem on one of their boards:

"This is by far the worst team Tech has put on the field in a long time. Holtz is a loser, bum got fired for making a winner into a loser at USF and now we have him.Yea!!!It looked last night like Holtz has already lost this team!"

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?122407-Tulane-game-thread/page31

I feel for them.