• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What Football Program Would You Like To See As USF's Model?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Can we just be us?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We'll never reflect the top Tier private school model. We're a public institution that has 3-4 times the students and maybe 1/2 the money to spend on athletics.

One of things that has hurt USF football is the funding has been dispersed. To make USF football the school pretty much funneled a good portion of athletic money towards football. That has changed.

We're not to the point where financially we an be good at everything, but we've tried to be good at everything.

Does anyone really care if the baseball team has a nice ballpark? Softball has had success, but would you rather see a good softball team and an average football team, or an average softball team and a good football team.

Yes, there is Title IX, and I'm not saying, cut all funding, but focus on the revenue.

Go back to spending more on football and we'll get back on track quicker.

what else do we realistically need for football? I get the whole arms race but i hope we never go there.

It's not just the arms race. Recruiting budgets, etc mean a lot when you're not a destination school.

I think our recruiting budget is low because we don't have to fly coaches and recruits around the country in order for them to visit. we are smack dab in the middle of a 100 mile radius of one of the top 5 recruiting grounds in the country. it's not like west virginia or notre dame or alabama or auburn.

FSU spent $525,000 on recruiting in 2011-2012. $200k+ of that was for private charters for the coaches. $25k for one trip for fisher. another $15k to get some coaches to all star game in san antonio. can't imagine they couldn't fly coach. certainly not a neccessity. they were expected to slash the budget by 10%. Bobby Bowden spent $280k his last year.

gators spent $560k with $277k on travel alone. they use private plane as well. 68% of their roster is from in state.

we can get all the talent we need within a tank of gas drive. sorry but we don't need to spend $200k+ flying our coaches on private charters.

We'll never reflect the top Tier private school model. We're a public institution that has 3-4 times the students and maybe 1/2 the money to spend on athletics.

One of things that has hurt USF football is the funding has been dispersed. To make USF football the school pretty much funneled a good portion of athletic money towards football. That has changed.

We're not to the point where financially we an be good at everything, but we've tried to be good at everything.

Does anyone really care if the baseball team has a nice ballpark? Softball has had success, but would you rather see a good softball team and an average football team, or an average softball team and a good football team.

Yes, there is Title IX, and I'm not saying, cut all funding, but focus on the revenue.

what else do we realistically need for football? I get the whole arms race but i hope we never go there.

It's not just the arms race. Recruiting budgets, etc mean a lot when you're not a destination school.

BTW west virginia spent just over $20k more than us in 2011 for recruiting. imagine how expensive it is for them to get all these florida athletes to fly up there compared to our travel.virginia tech a little more than $50k more. texas a & m $50k more. wisconsin less than $20k more. south carolina $60k more.oklahoma state $30k more.

it's not like we aren't in the ballpark of most reasonable programs.hell woolard probably carries that much in cash.  really we just save on transportation which is mostly coaches flying charter planes anyway. we'll never be able to (and I hope we never even consider wasting that much) spend what UF alabama georgia tennessee etc spend to recruit.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think our recruiting budget is low because we don't have to fly coaches and recruits around the country in order for them to visit. we are smack dab in the middle of a 100 mile radius of one of the top 5 recruiting grounds in the country. it's not like west virginia or notre dame or alabama or auburn.

FSU spent $525,000 on recruiting in 2011-2012. $200k+ of that was for private charters for the coaches. $25k for one trip for fisher. another $15k to get some coaches to all star game in san antonio. can't imagine they couldn't fly coach. certainly not a neccessity. they were expected to slash the budget by 10%. Bobby Bowden spent $280k his last year.

gators spent $560k with $277k on travel alone. they use private plane as well. 68% of their roster is from in state.

we can get all the talent we need within a tank of gas drive. sorry but we don't need to spend $200k+ flying our coaches on private charters.

Yet kids leave our area to go to bigger schools all the time...

I'm not saying its lock down, but there is a lot more to recruiting than travel budgets.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Well, considering Willie T coached at Stanford and they have what seems to be a clean program, I would want to USF to be like Stanford.

When was the last time you heard anything bad/dirty coming out of Stanford?

Thx

jonpfl

Well, I heard their band last year. They were dirty AND bad. But fun though.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Ville would be a great start,  Top AD in the conference and one of the best in the country(take note Dougie Not so fresh).  NC in Mens BB and final four in Womens BB, Sugar Bowl win, top of the American conference in FB and BB.   Top line facilities esp the BB arena. OCS for football.  Companies that want to invest in them (papa johns, kfc) .

They got an invite off the titanic  to join the ACC as well.

All would be great for us.

Yet kids leave our area to go to bigger schools all the time...

I'm not saying its lock down, but there is a lot more to recruiting than travel budgets.

of course they do. kids who don't play football leave too.

I said that it doesn't matter that we don't spend $200k+ on charter planes for our coaches. that is more than 1/3 of both UF and FSUs recruiting budget. take out $200k of charter expenses for florida state and they spend roughly $40k more than we did in 2011. take out $270k and UF spends about $120k more.

on campus visits is the next greatest expense followed by mailers. I imagine that if our travel expenses are much cheaper than most then we are in the ballpark of most medium size programs. south carolina, oklahoma state, wisconsin, west virginia, etc .

of course it would benefit us if we rented stretch limos for all the recruits to ride in on and gave them free reign at bern's but honestly considering the lack of a need for much travel we are in the ballpark of most realistic programs.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  203
  • Days Won:  0

Simple...A Winning one.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Honestly we are a lot more like Boise State or Texas Tech. We are a lot like Tech especially because they were not a household brand and within their state programs like Texas and A&M look down on them, but Tech has the advantage of being in a conference with Texas and playing them every year. We are like Boise being a lesser conference, but unlike Boise we have a larger university and have other dominant programs within our state to compete with.

Really all we need is a coach who can win and hopefully stay with USF and we could be like a Boise and Tech mix.

Hopefully bust the playoffs one year.

USF is unique being in a metro-area, playing in a pro-stadium, now suddenly being in a lesser conference. The most similar school to us is UCF, and even Miami except they are private and a little smaller, but are in a city, play in a pro stadium, and recruit locally.

We need to make our own model. Find ways to leverage our city, conference and unique resources to make our own path. With Leavitt it was coaching up those 2 stars into world beaters and a top defense. It was playing any team any time any where. With Taggart it may be building a pipeline of local talent and a dominant run game. We must do things like market with the Rays and Bucs and need to get the city behind us. We must hire the best coaches we can. We have to dominate our rival and continue to play any team any where any time.

Now we have a lot of match ups with the Big10. We have a renewed series with FSU. We must keep the any team any time any place mentality.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

I like the Boise State Model. Small underachieving conference that you win every year. Top 25 ranking 9 of the last 11 years(easily the most consistent in the country),  Prestigious bowl every year. Everyone knows who they are now.

This is the most realistic one considering our situation ... although it's going to be a little tougher road than BSU had inside the conference.