• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg Auman leaving the USF beat

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

So, is the new beat writer a member here?

Exactly. I was hoping he would start a thread, introduce himself, get to know the regulars, ect.. So, kinda not too impressed at the moment.

I think you have gotten used to the exception, and now are having trouble accepting the norm. Engaging fans on this website isn't the job of our beat writers. Engaging USF fans on their websites is their job (in addition to the content they produce). Greg has been kind enough to come over here and share on this site, which in part is why we all appreciate him, but unfair to call out others for not coming here.

^^^I agree with this in principle, however, Joey would be smart to be involved on this board.  I guarantee Greg got more traffic to TBT website by being involved here and referencing his blog and articles here.  Joey would be wise to do the same, especially just starting out.  

P.S.  I hate when someone says "it's not their job" or "it's not my job."  Not a big fan of that attitude at all.  

I agree from a customer service standpoint that you hate to hear someone say to you, "Its not my job" .... but that is not what happened here, I am asking us as a collective group to be reasonable in our expectations.

I was disagreeing with someone calling out a person who will be our future beat writer for not coming on here already. To me, that is not fair.

I agree that the more involved our beat writer is in the "USF community" the more it will generate traffic to their blogs and articles. It certainly can be a good idea. But we have no right to demand or expect it.... just to consider it a pleasant surprise when it happens.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Exactly. I was hoping he would start a thread, introduce himself, get to know the regulars, ect.. So, kinda not too impressed at the moment.

I think you have gotten used to the exception, and now are having trouble accepting the norm. Engaging fans on this website isn't the job of our  any beat writers. Engaging USF fans on their websites is their job (in addition to the content they produce). Greg has been kind enough to come over here and share on this site, which in part is why we all appreciate him, but unfair to call out others for not coming here.

Minor adjustment.   :)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

When have we ever been fair to people?

It's not our job to be fair to people ....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

I think you have gotten used to the exception, and now are having trouble accepting the norm. Engaging fans on this website isn't the job of our beat writers. Engaging USF fans on their websites is their job (in addition to the content they produce). Greg has been kind enough to come over here and share on this site, which in part is why we all appreciate him, but unfair to call out others for not coming here.

^^^I agree with this in principle, however, Joey would be smart to be involved on this board.  I guarantee Greg got more traffic to TBT website by being involved here and referencing his blog and articles here.  Joey would be wise to do the same, especially just starting out.  

P.S.  I hate when someone says "it's not their job" or "it's not my job."  Not a big fan of that attitude at all.

I agree from a customer service standpoint that you hate to hear someone say to you, "Its not my job" .... but that is not what happened here, I am asking us as a collective group to be reasonable in our expectations.

I was disagreeing with someone calling out a person who will be our future beat writer for not coming on here already. To me, that is not fair.

I agree that the more involved our beat writer is in the "USF community" the more it will generate traffic to their blogs and articles. It certainly can be a good idea. But we have no right to demand or expect it.... just to consider it a pleasant surprise when it happens.

Yep .... there are times when the "not his job" is appropriate and this is one of them.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

I don't know that I was very active on this board my first year or two on the beat -- I think my first username here was something anonymous like "usf2004." This board has been of great value to me -- first and foremost as a great way to interact with fans and readers, to get an awareness for how at least a cross-section of fans react to events as they happen. You guys find news on your own -- an army of eyes and ears that care about everything USF, so it's very hard for something relevant to exist about the Bulls without it registering here.

I think I felt pretty early on that it was only fair, if I used this board as a resource, to return the favor and try to answer questions and engage with you guys. I don't get into the details of where we get traffic referred from, but this has to be a great source of traffic when you guys are nice enough to post stories with links back to my site or the Trib's or anyone else that writes about USF.

So please know that I very much appreciate the help you guys have been to me on many different levels. It probably isn't fair to expect Joey to do the same, especially immediately -- like any community, you have to get settled yourself, get a feel for the personalities, get used to your surroundings. I think you'll find Joey to be a hard worker, a smart writer with a good eye for detail and a great sense of humor. I know I'm excited about reading his coverage and I hope you guys can be as warm and embracing with him as you -- well, most all of you :) -- have been with me over the years. And please keep in touch -- my e-mail is the same at auman@tampabay.com, and I imagine I'll tweet a fair amount of links to our USF stories at @gregauman for a while, too ...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Stuben,

Your posts are too rational. No room for that here

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

The new guy will learn to come visit TBP for the same reasons Auman has. Weather or not he posts is another question.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

Well he is still obligated to his current assignment until the end of the week.  He probably is trying to tie that up and then will head here to say hi the ungrateful...

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

The new guy will learn to come visit TBP for the same reasons Auman has. Weather or not he posts is another question.

whether

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,086
  • Days Won:  469

Greg engaged fans on this site to attract readers. His blog was new. It wasn't the other way around. He offered to do chats and wanted the traffic on his blog to climb. After accomplishing this, he stayed around and that is remarkable.

Brett McMurphy before Greg also leveraged the site for readership - back in the "good ol' Brett" days.

After he started acting up, I couldn't think of a better reporter than the new guy Greg to support. It was a perfect fit.

Greg did a great job and has done more for a Bulls beat than any before him and I wish him well in his new assignment.