• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Questions about Coach Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Days Won:  0

Skip did well at ECU because he had some kid named Chris Johnson carrying the pill.

I not convinced that any one player in that situation can make that happen. I think there was also some unrealistic expectations on behalf of USF fans.  Under Levitt USF won some amazing games which I think hid some of the underlying deficiencies with the team.  Deficiencies that were only natural for a program only a few years in existance.  Skip walked into those expectations and proceeded to underachieve even for a young program.  Skip may have been doomed from the beginning, but at least Skip had a track record to look at.  It appeared to be a great fit.

Taggart takes over with a completely different atmosphere.  Fans have lower expectations and are hoping for a 6-7 win season in a watered down conference.  With no real history to speak of I think Taggart is stepping into an ideal coaching aopportunity for him. Nobody knows what to expect 

Edited by Knightfan41
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  345

^ good point

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Skip did well at ECU because he had some kid named Chris Johnson carrying the pill.

I not convinced that any one player in that situation can make that happen. I think there was also some unrealistic expectations on behalf of USF fans.  Under Levitt USF won some amazing games which I think hid some of the underlying deficiencies with the team.  Deficiencies that were only natural for a program only a few years in existance.  Skip walked into those expectations and proceeded to underachieve even for a young program.  Skip may have been doomed from the beginning, but at least Skip had a track record to look at.  It appeared to be a great fit.

Taggart takes over with a completely different atmosphere.  Fans have lower expectations and are hoping for a 6-7 win season in a watered down conference.  With no real history to speak of I think Taggart is stepping into an ideal coaching aopportunity for him. Nobody knows what to expect 

skippy came in and promised to beat florida......he set the bar pretty high for himself...also, didn't he have a pretty good DC at ECU?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

skippy came in and promised to beat florida......he set the bar pretty high for himself...also, didn't he have a pretty good DC at ECU?

found it....had Greg Hudson as DC at ecu

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think most of us are cautiously optimistic.  CWT has an outstanding pedigree and has brought enthusiasm and discipline to the team.  On top of that, he appears to be a really good recruiter.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

I think Taggart will do no worse than Leavitt but possibly be a better recruiter. If he does any better than Leavitt he is going to have others trying to hire him away.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

WKU was a program that had no life.  He injected enthusiasm.  We could use the same.

WKU went from a non-bowl team to a bowl team.  We would like to be a bowl team again.

He has strong recruiting ties to this area.  We could use great recruiting classes.

He is considered the "third" brother to the two coaches in this last Super Bowl.  Both of the coaches have high praise for him.

The offense he runs has turned a school that was a Pac-12 irrelevant into one of the best offenses (and teams) in the country.  Our offense is dire need of some life after the last 3 games of last year.

He exudes confidence and wants to turn us into a bully.  USF needs both of those things to happen.

I'm not saying he is a sure thing (I liked the Holtz hire at the time) but he fits our current resume down to a (coach) T.

Edited by BrownBullsFan

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

I think CWT was taught how to coach by the Harbaugh family. He has surrounded himself with a staff that believes in his system. A work ethic as good as anyone in the Country, and a desire to be great. A no excuse attitude that I belive he has gotten the team to buy into.

DO SOMETHING!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,767
  • Days Won:  3

The jury is still out on CWT. 

However, the early-on unbridled enthusiasm for him (by some) was based on nothing more than ( a ) he's not xCSH and ( b ) coach speak. The 'get on the bus' tag line is catchy, but there's no product (yet) that makes me overly enthusiastic about him, or this rebuilding season. Most of the time, when you ask a fan about the coming season or the new coach, they answer with what they HOPE to see, not necessarily what an objective assessment would look like. Thus far, he's said all the right things, about winning championships (though the details on that are somewhat sketchy, given the shifting landscape of college football) and appears to have instilled a sense of discipline that may have been absent under xCSH. We all mouth the words about building character and developing, and such...but on Saturday afternoons, we want someone with some fight, some scrap, some desire to win. Based on what I've heard, this is what I think he brings to the table. That, and he's young and enthusiastic. Hopefully his success at turning around the WKU program is something he can repeat at U of SF. It's not really relying on miracles so much as knowing that it's heavy lifting. And since he digs that blue-collar philosophy, we just have to see if he's as good at liftin' that bale as we all hope. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

I don't have a clue. It is hard to judge because there really is nothing to go by.  the reason I ask is that every single article I read goes on about what a great hire he was for the Bulls, but with little detail why that might be.

When USF hired Skip Holtz I had my doubts because he suffered as an offensive coordinator at south Carolina but did well at East Carolina.  Overall I thought it was a good hire.  My opinion has always been that Jim Levitt was an incredible motivator.  He was the kind of coach that could sqeeze every bit of juice from his players that he could.  While it appeared that  Levitt would stumble in October, I think the truth was that he had the players playing above and beyond expectations early in the season and doing things that they had no business doing.  Then it would come crashing down by the end of the season because there was little depth. 

Taggart is a complete mystery to me.  The administration must have seen something in him in order to give him the opportunity. 

Chris Johnson was in the NFL when Skip won CUSA in 08 and 09.  Also was 08 when they beat Va Tech and WVU.