• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Questions about Coach Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Days Won:  0

This is not a troll thread I promise.  I know almost nothing about Coach Taggart other than what I have read on Wikipedia andthat  he has a reputation as a good recruiter.  I know he was at Western Kentucky for three years and they had 2 7-5 seasons there and a bowl appearance which is an applishment in and of itself.  

What is it that makes him a good coach and what do Bulls fans realisitcally expect him to do for the program in the next few years?  How long should he be given to accomplish those goals?  I am just curious as to how he might differ from the two previous coaches.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I honestly don't think anyone can say with affirmation if he's a good coach or not yet. The guy hasn't coached 1 game yet, so he could be great or a complete bust in a couple of years. I expect him to win around 13-14 games for the next 2 years. If we don't see a team improving every year, then I'd give him around the same time we gave Holtz.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

What's your opinion? It's probably just as good as anyone on here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

I think the difference is going to be that CWT will be able to keep these young men together and "hopefully" we won't see those trantrums on the sidelines like we did last season. Skip not only lost the faith from the fan base but I think he also lost the faith of the kids and their ability to win. I think we will see a determined group of men playing every down and I hope we suprise a lot of teams this year. We all expect or hope for immediate success but I think we should be able to come out over 500 this year. CWT has the knowledge and the athletes to win games and only time will tell. Is it 8/31 yet?!?!?!

I don't have a clue. It is hard to judge because there really is nothing to go by.  the reason I ask is that every single article I read goes on about what a great hire he was for the Bulls, but with little detail why that might be.

When USF hired Skip Holtz I had my doubts because he suffered as an offensive coordinator at south Carolina but did well at East Carolina.  Overall I thought it was a good hire.  My opinion has always been that Jim Levitt was an incredible motivator.  He was the kind of coach that could sqeeze every bit of juice from his players that he could.  While it appeared that  Levitt would stumble in October, I think the truth was that he had the players playing above and beyond expectations early in the season and doing things that they had no business doing.  Then it would come crashing down by the end of the season because there was little depth. 

Taggart is a complete mystery to me.  The administration must have seen something in him in order to give him the opportunity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

This is not a troll thread I promise. I know almost nothing about Coach Taggart other than what I have read on Wikipedia andthat he has a reputation as a good recruiter. I know he was at Western Kentucky for three years and they had 2 7-5 seasons there and a bowl appearance which is an applishment in and of itself.

What is it that makes him a good coach and what do Bulls fans realisitcally expect him to do for the program in the next few years? How long should he be given to accomplish those goals? I am just curious as to how he might differ from the two previous coaches.

One thing for sure Coach Taggart has brought back a discipline that I think has been lacking in the last couple years. One obvious thing that sticks out is the conditioning regime they now go through. So instead of the team playing half of a football game They should be able to play four quarters instead of two. Also he has surrounded himself with a good coaching staff that has united together to work with the team therefore there is consistency which there was not in the previous regime. The rest will be laid out on the field this season and in the next couple to come. He is young he can relate to the team and he has had some very good mentors with the Harbaugh's.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The guy hasn't coached 1 game yet, so he could be great or a complete bust in a couple of years. 

I agree with CPR's quote above, but I want to add that I expect him to at least be somewhere in the middle between "great" and "bust."  I feel like he might be a bit more disciplined and a bit more authoritative as a coach than what we've seen here the last several years, but I have yet to see what kind of a game day coach he is.  The former part is so important though, because football is a game of discipline, and you have to do the little things right in order to win.  If CWT is as good of a game day coach as he is good at creating enthusiasm and instilling a disciplined approach for our team, **** ... USF will be going places.  

Only time will tell, but I see him as as at LEAST average, with the potential to be great.  

I think the difference is going to be that CWT will be able to keep these young men together and "hopefully" we won't see those trantrums on the sidelines like we did last season. Skip not only lost the faith from the fan base but I think he also lost the faith of the kids and their ability to win. I think we will see a determined group of men playing every down and I hope we suprise a lot of teams this year. We all expect or hope for immediate success but I think we should be able to come out over 500 this year. CWT has the knowledge and the athletes to win games and only time will tell. Is it 8/31 yet?!?!?!

this has merit.  As I stated before I think this was Jim Levitt's strength. His ability to get the kids to believe.  When you are a newer program without the big time recruits and athletes you need something extra to make things happen.  If he can do that and sustain it, then good things will happen.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

I don't have a clue. It is hard to judge because there really is nothing to go by.  the reason I ask is that every single article I read goes on about what a great hire he was for the Bulls, but with little detail why that might be.

When USF hired Skip Holtz I had my doubts because he suffered as an offensive coordinator at south Carolina but did well at East Carolina.  Overall I thought it was a good hire.  My opinion has always been that Jim Levitt was an incredible motivator.  He was the kind of coach that could sqeeze every bit of juice from his players that he could.  While it appeared that  Levitt would stumble in October, I think the truth was that he had the players playing above and beyond expectations early in the season and doing things that they had no business doing.  Then it would come crashing down by the end of the season because there was little depth. 

Taggart is a complete mystery to me.  The administration must have seen something in him in order to give him the opportunity. 

Skip did well at ECU because he had some kid named Chris Johnson carrying the pill.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Great community backing, and pretty good buy-in from the players so far. Definitely "feels" more confident than Holtz's entry, but we don't know much about the product until it hits the field. Ask us again around Thanksgiving time frame--we'll either be amped up or ready to take a beating.