• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB will not be our biggest problem

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  193
  • Days Won:  0

OP doesn't take into account how woeful our pass rush was last year.

Pressure on the QB was nonexistent last year.  Pork chop only got pub because of his stupid nickname. . . . . . he was a major nonfactor, bordering on liability in the middle.  For reasons unknown, Giddens mailed it in too.

Not saying it will be good this year, but our defense was terrible last year.  It was so bad, our defense got better when Cosh and Holtz simply hit the bricks.

Giddens injured his shoulder in the 1st game of the season last year, to the point that it required surgery.  He tried to play through the pain, not so well in my opinion, and then had the procedure done during the off season.  I'm hoping for him to have a solid 7 sack and double digit tackle for loss season now that he's healthy.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I'm getting excited to see what these guys will be able to do. We have unproven corners, yes, but our safeties aren't completely inexperienced and I agree our pass rush will be much better this year. Still think QB will be the make/break position for the season. If we can't score, we can't win.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

This is a rebuilding year people expecting a bowl game are most likely going to be disappointed when the team is likely to win just 4 or so games.

This.

Way to stay positive guys. And no you're not being a "realist" with expecting 4 wins in a sub-par conference.

I have us pegged at 5. I honestly can't see more than that with the serious questions at QB, RB, and in the secondary. Not to mention breaking in a new offensive system.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

This is a rebuilding year people expecting a bowl game are most likely going to be disappointed when the team is likely to win just 4 or so games.

This.
Way to stay positive guys. And no you're not being a "realist" with expecting 4 wins in a sub-par conference.

I have us pegged at 5. I honestly can't see more than that with the serious questions at QB, RB, and in the secondary. Not to mention breaking in a new offensive system.

Nothing wrong with that and I think the majority of this board sees 6 wins. I love this team and I'm always hopeful to see a 9-12 win team before any season, but deep down, I know this is a 6-7 win team at best. This new conference isn't anything special, so you never know, it's just that we don't have a QB.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The things is, we as fans, have no idea what we have. With a new coach, new conference, etc. it's very difficult to predict anything. We'll have a better idea going into the conference games.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

This.

Nothing wrong with that and I think the majority of this board sees 6 wins. I love this team and I'm always hopeful to see a 9-12 win team before any season, but deep down, I know this is a 6-7 win team at best. This new conference isn't anything special, so you never know, it's just that we don't have a QB.

I know I hate saying 4-5 wins because I see parts of this teams that have the potential to be really good.  I am not that worried about RB I think we have enough talent there and we have a OL that should be good.  Secondary I think will be improved just because Cosh is nowhere around the team.  QB is a huge question mark.  It all comes down to the QB.

• Topic Count:  2,338
  • Content Count:  21,346
  • Days Won:  10

I think in close games it comes down to the QB but I have a feeling our defense will win us a few games.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016

The team will be better than people think it will be. Nothing spectacular in the RB position but nothing bad either, the OL is good which will help on Offense. High percentage throws gets the team some scoring, nothing lights out but 20 points a game is reasonable. QB only has to be decent not great. Offense is a work in progress but not bad like the last three games last year when the game was mailed in.

Defense should be very interesting. Defensively last year USF was a top 30 D in the first half, bottom 30 in the second half. Indicates no in game adjustments or very bad ones. Expect more man coverage and less zone which is more suited to our DBs. D-line and LBs are solid and can create pressure, force the QB to move. Better communication as well. Defense will be good, will not be surprised to see top 40 defense. If offense can crack top 80 USF wins 7 games.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

If we win more than 7, I'll bet the ones with the (4) win predictions come back and use the sub-par conference factor.  Shoot, might as well not watch any games this season.

USF will never be anything or win anything until their own fans start believing in something.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If we win more than 7, I'll bet the ones with the (4) win predictions come back and use the sub-par conference factor. Shoot, might as well not watch any games this season.

USF will never be anything or win anything until their own fans start believing in something.

I've been here for years and I'll be here to happily eat crow if we win 7 or more games. I want this program to succeed but believe we have a lot of building to do.

Also, no matter how much the fans believe this game is always about X's and O's and Jimmys and Joes. If you're team isn't talented and well coached it won't accomplish anything.