• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

D'Vario Montgomery leaves team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This guy is mostly talent right now. But he is also young. Should have stayed and put in the hard work

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

From conversation on D'Vario's thread on the Recuits' board ... http://thebullspen.com/index.php/topic/77429-dvario-montgomery-wr-winter-park-hs-winter-park-fl/page-15#entry1183011

Greg Aumanâ€@gregauman8h

Ex-USF WR D'vario Montgomery granted release to 5 schools: ECU, West Virginia, Maryland, Southern Miss, Iowa State. Will choose by Wednesday

Greg Aumanâ€@gregauman7h

@MattHomeTeam Those were five he asked for, according to high school coach. Bulls vetoed Louisiana Tech, he says.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I have been expecting some real turnover since guys got a load of Taggs work ethic. Can't say I'm happy to see D'Vo go, but i am sure he won't be the last. Some guys have gotten into bad habits the last couple of years and aren't going to adjust to this brand of football well. Better to go ahead and bite the bullet now and leave room for some incoming talent that will buy into a workmanlike ethic. Not blaming guys who leave, but like Taggs said, "if they don't want to be here, we don't want em here"

Right on. Wish D' luck, but don't like the timing right before the season is set to begin.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

For those keeping track, it's official:

http://www.bcsnn.com/acc/entry/south-florida-wr-transfers-to-iowa-state-for-2014.html

"Montgomery isn't a game changer, but he is another good weapon for the Iowa State offense"

Too bad for a person that seemed like he had so much potential.  You never know  if he finally blooms at ISU, but he obviously wasn't even making the 2-deep here.

Now... was that why he left, or was he not making the 2-deep because he didn't want to be here... I guess we will see

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Hopkins will have to be the deep threat, agreed. Not that worried about speed of receivers, as Dunk, Welch and Dre can hold down the fort just fine. I'm more worried about a QB that can get them the ball.

A 5'5 deep threat? We're f'd...
LOL

Don't have to be big if you're 3 yards ahead of the defender, IF (and this is a BIG if), the QB can put the ball in the right place.

Put a safety over the top and line up a fast corner of just average size against him and it negates any advantage he has. No thanks.
So your giving 1 on 1 coverage to our TE's and Davis? Deal!

No, because you wouldn't even have to double Hopkins. The guy is average at best. The only thing keeping him high on the depth chart is his speed and inexperience of some younger players. I'd take 4 or 5 players at WR before him.

If you put a safety over the top, you are putting him fairly deep, right? Then that opens the seam route.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

For those keeping track, it's official:

http://www.bcsnn.com/acc/entry/south-florida-wr-transfers-to-iowa-state-for-2014.html

"Montgomery isn't a game changer, but he is another good weapon for the Iowa State offense"

Too bad for a person that seemed like he had so much potential.  You never know  if he finally blooms at ISU, but he obviously wasn't even making the 2-deep here.

Now... was that why he left, or was he not making the 2-deep because he didn't want to be here... I guess we will see

Was wondering why ISU but read in one of the papers today that D'Vario's hs qb is there and he was looking forward to playing with him again ....

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Hopkins will have to be the deep threat, agreed. Not that worried about speed of receivers, as Dunk, Welch and Dre can hold down the fort just fine. I'm more worried about a QB that can get them the ball.

LOL

Don't have to be big if you're 3 yards ahead of the defender, IF (and this is a BIG if), the QB can put the ball in the right place.

Put a safety over the top and line up a fast corner of just average size against him and it negates any advantage he has. No thanks.

No, because you wouldn't even have to double Hopkins. The guy is average at best. The only thing keeping him high on the depth chart is his speed and inexperience of some younger players. I'd take 4 or 5 players at WR before him.

If you put a safety over the top, you are putting him fairly deep, right? Then that opens the seam route.

Deters twisted up his own argument ... He mentions putting a safety over the top + a decent sized corner, then says you don't have to double team him. Don't know what his hang-up is over Hopkins' height, but all it takes is him catching one or two deep balls and that opens up everything else with the thread of him burning a defense.

Hope that can happen - as mentioned before, we just need an accurate QB.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591

Anyone watch Nevada? Dunk and Davis are fine going the distance.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749

LOL

Deters twisted up his own argument ... He mentions putting a safety over the top + a decent sized corner, then says you don't have to double team him. Don't know what his hang-up is over Hopkins' height, but all it takes is him catching one or two deep balls and that opens up everything else with the thread of him burning a defense.

Hope that can happen - as mentioned before, we just need an accurate QB.

Twisted my own argument? I think not.

The only thing Hopkins does good is run fast. That is easy to defend especially if you have him running basic deep routes such as go or post. A safety over the top negates ANY speed advantage unless the player is extremely gifted, which Hopkins is not. He is not Desean Jackson, or Mike Wallace, not even close.

Therefore, you shut Hopkins down by using a physical corner. His size and weight work against him here. The average corner is 5-6 inches taller than him and outweighs him by nearly 40 lbs... There is no need for a safety over top if he is jammed and re routed properly, which shouldn't be an issue once again due to his size.

It's interesting how ya'll consider him to be a viable and realistic deep threat when up to this point in his career he has only 312 yards receiving and 1 touchdown (against Chattanooga). What makes you think he will break out and suddenly become a major player in the deep game, let alone in the short and intermediate routes? Just because he's fast? You are better off using a proven deep threat in Davis who has size, along with physical and vertical ability.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

U guys forget Dunkley was a 5 star recruit.  Higher rated than DVo. USF will be fine.