• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: Taggart Glad He Got the Right Guy to Lead Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Cosh came on with a 2 year guaranteed contract. He may not know how to stop an offense but he wasn't dumb.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Cosh came on with a 2 year guaranteed contract. He may not know how to stop an offense but he wasn't dumb.

He was football dumb, which was what matters.  Maybe he should be a player or coach's agent.  

He was football dumb, which was what matters.  Maybe he should be a player or coach's agent.  

Yeah, lol.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not thrilled with this hire at all. I expect an average defense this year. I suspect he'll do better than Cosh; mostly because he won't have Skip harping on him to play soft as f#@%. 

Evidently you didn't listen to any Skip Holtz press conferences.  After almost every game last year, he talked about how the defense needed to be more aggressive.  You could tell he go personally involved over the last few game and defense blitzed a lot more than early in the season.  Cosh wanted to play soft, Holtz didn't.

Disagree fully. Snyder and Cosh both ran the "play the corners 10 yards off and slant us to death" scheme. I'm half-willing to say that they both simply agreed that the talent wasn't conducive to pressing the corners, but my opinion is that Holtz loved to play it safe and dictated such to his coordinators (on both sides of the ball).

What Holtz may have tried to instill when it was apparent a mutiny was coming does not matter to me. The previous 2.5 years were more suggestive of his philosophy.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Asante samuel never played for oleary.

Had JPP's academic situation been better he would not have signed with ucf out of high school or ended up at usf out of juco.

Ouch. owned. Good points.

Have we not fired this guy yet? :D

Slick didn't want him fired now.  Only by midseason if USF wasn't #1 in FBS in all defensive categories and undefeated.   :D

I am sure if USF is last in FBS in all defensive catagories and winless by midseason both of you will want him fired. :D

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm not thrilled with this hire at all. I expect an average defense this year. I suspect he'll do better than Cosh; mostly because he won't have Skip harping on him to play soft as f#@%. 

Evidently you didn't listen to any Skip Holtz press conferences.  After almost every game last year, he talked about how the defense needed to be more aggressive.  You could tell he go personally involved over the last few game and defense blitzed a lot more than early in the season.  Cosh wanted to play soft, Holtz didn't.

Disagree fully. Snyder and Cosh both ran the "play the corners 10 yards off and slant us to death" scheme. I'm half-willing to say that they both simply agreed that the talent wasn't conducive to pressing the corners, but my opinion is that Holtz loved to play it safe and dictated such to his coordinators (on both sides of the ball).

What Holtz may have tried to instill when it was apparent a mutiny was coming does not matter to me. The previous 2.5 years were more suggestive of his philosophy.

For better or worse, he gave his DC's a lot of latitude.  It was clear from press conference after press conference that he wanted the defense to be more aggressive, and in the last few weeks he mandated it.  You will believe what you want to believe.

Holtz comments after the Ball State game:

"I don't think we're playing aggressive enough up front," coach Skip Holtz said this week after his defense produced zero tackles for loss and zero turnovers in a 31-27 loss at Ball State. "I don't think we played with a physical nature up front."

He made similar comments after virtually every game, and around mid season starting openly stating that the team needed to blitz more.  I remember thinking before midseason that Holtz and Cosh were on two different pages.

If I'm not mistaken the 2011 team was in the Top 5 in the nation in TFLs.  That isn't an indicator of a passive defense.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,525
  • Days Won:  422

Holtz comments after the Ball State game:

"I don't think we're playing aggressive enough up front," coach Skip Holtz said this week after his defense produced zero tackles for loss and zero turnovers in a 31-27 loss at Ball State. "I don't think we played with a physical nature up front."

He made similar comments after virtually every game, and around mid season starting openly stating that the team needed to blitz more.  I remember thinking before midseason that Holtz and Cosh were on two different pages.

Which is why he's gone ... Hopefully he has the right assistants at La Tech, for his sake.