• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF - as portrayed by Wikipedia

Bear

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

Wikipedia may not be the most accurate source. However, when trying to quickly find information about the university; Wikipedia seems to be very out of date (content, photos, sources, etc...). 

I personally took the liberty to update our academic rankings the moment US News & World Report released the 2012 figures. In conjunction, I fixed a few disconnected links. Another person went ahead and added new photos of the university to the main article. While it was a good effort, many of the photos have just been randomly placed. 

If you happen to come across Wikipedia pages about another school on the other side of I-4; you will notice that they went to great lengths to detail and document their school and achievements.

So, I am just wondering: How does everyone on TBP feel about this? Waste of time, or an endeavor that we should correct? I do envy envy the big 3 (and even UCF) for their pride.

Main:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Florida

Athletics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida_Bulls

Sundome (really needs to be updated):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USF_Sun_Dome

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Somebody in USF Public Relations needs to make it their mission to make this page rock

• Upvote 2

Totally agreed - I was thinking about sending an email to the alumni association on the topic. Well, however UCiF did it... 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

The worst part about Wikipedia pages is that technically, by their rules, an organization isn't allowed to alter their own Wikipedia page. Obviously there are many ways around it, but if you're using an IP address that's linked to an organization, it's a good way to get your IP range locked in terms of editing capabilities.

Again, it's super easy to get around, but it's still a pain.

I managed a company where I changed our Wikipedia bio to essentially the plot from Lord of the Rings with name changes and they weren't too happy about that either.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The worst part about Wikipedia pages is that technically, by their rules, an organization isn't allowed to alter their own Wikipedia page. Obviously there are many ways around it, but if you're using an IP address that's linked to an organization, it's a good way to get your IP range locked in terms of editing capabilities.

Again, it's super easy to get around, but it's still a pain.

I managed a company where I changed our Wikipedia bio to essentially the plot from Lord of the Rings with name changes and they weren't too happy about that either.

That's funny.

Whatever PR person is assigned to the job could easily do it from home. Have them telecommute one day a week/ month/ whatevs, and no IP problems.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I always go and mess with UCF's wiki.  Fun times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

I have found some funny stuff on wikipedia pages. 

A friend of mine put on one page that walking burns more calories than jogging. 

LOL, Usually those changes are corrected very quickly

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Totally agreed - I was thinking about sending an email to the alumni association on the topic. Well, however UCiF did it... 

Have you received a response from the association or even USF administration itself?

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Somebody in USF Public Relations needs to make it their mission to make this page rock

This.

Our page has always lacked uniformity and accuracy.

Another issue is the use of "South Florida" on the athletics pages. UCF is always referred to as UCF, not Central Florida, why are we not always referred to as USF. Our athletic department has asked (although never demanded) that "South Florida" never be used.

• Upvote 1