• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If you could pick ?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

What did Tagliabue do except line his pockets with consulting fees?

I don't think it matters who is the commish unless they are a billionaire who is going to augment each team's yearly TV money. Probably the smartest move would be getting one of the higher ups in the SEC who knows the inner workings and how to exploit any chinks in their armor (although I doubt there are any).

I really miss Mike Slive, he did so much good for C-USA when he was there.

This is the guy I was thinking of.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

Wouldn't top level exec be similar, but not the same as running a conference? Like being assistant manager at Bern's to running your own Taco Bell?

Like the one that's running the league now?

So you like Aresco or don't? I'm not following.

We all thought his TV ties would help get a great contract. But in reality there is much more involved. I would rather someone that doesn't need a learning curve take the helm but that must be hard to accomplish. I think coming in like he did, from a different industry, isn't the best way to go.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

What did Tagliabue do except line his pockets with consulting fees?

I don't think it matters who is the commish unless they are a billionaire who is going to augment each team's yearly TV money. Probably the smartest move would be getting one of the higher ups in the SEC who knows the inner workings and how to exploit any chinks in their armor (although I doubt there are any).

I really miss Mike Slive, he did so much good for C-USA when he was there.

This is the guy I was thinking of.

Yeah, if we needed a replacement, this guy gets my vote.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,990
  • Days Won:  12

Elon Musk

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Who would you choose to run and promote our conference ?

This may sound crazy but I would take Vince McMahon.  Yes the chairman of the board of WWE wrestling.  This guy is one of the best promoters ever.  He has turned the WWE into a multi-billion dollar business in sports entertainment.  He would get eyeballs watching us and zoom zoom comes the TV money.  It would be fun just to see what he did to promote the American.

dabull80 - I don't know how old you are ... but Vince took a stab at running a football league a little while back... it didn't turn out very well.

I liked that league's ideas for cheerleaders and flexibility in player's names though.

he-hate-me.jpg

chi47.JPG

Reminds me of the cheerleaders from the movie, "The Replacements"

30D1cgdGjzjHVicHg2BKmvlBf9c.jpg

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Who would you choose to run and promote our conference ?

This may sound crazy but I would take Vince McMahon.  Yes the chairman of the board of WWE wrestling.  This guy is one of the best promoters ever.  He has turned the WWE into a multi-billion dollar business in sports entertainment.  He would get eyeballs watching us and zoom zoom comes the TV money.  It would be fun just to see what he did to promote the American.

dabull80 - I don't know how old you are ... but Vince took a stab at running a football league a little while back... it didn't turn out very well.

The XFL was awful.

True, but didn't they produce the aerial cam that the NFL now uses?

Also liked their no fair catch rule (CFL as well).

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

I'd like to see someone like Charles Bloom who was hired away from the SEC, where he was an associate commissioner, by South Carolina to be an assistant AD. He spent 17 years in the SEC. Someone who knows the working of a top conference, worked there during the rise of the conference.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

The jobs are similar, but not the same.  Instead of answering to team owners, he answers to university presidents.  He would be the public face of the AAC, just like he was the public face of the NFL.  I didn't say it was the same, but there are similarities, and of course there is a learning curve to every new job - his would be less than some others based on his past experience.

Also, re: rule making, I'm pretty sure the owners come up with the rules, and it's the commissioner and his staff's job to enforce them.

Similar but not the same. The way a family station wagon is to an F1 race car. The area it counts the most, he has no experience just like in an F1 race the station wagon doesn't have speed and handling to win. That's why you go for a top level exec in a successful Power 5 conference, not someone who will be just as lost competing with the big boy conferences as all the other Big East commishs have been.

And read up on the Saints suspensions. The Commish has the last say on enforcing rules. When they are broken its ultimately up to him to step in and enforce them or allow the player to rejoin the team. And when there is no rule, he makes a decision. Not in every case but whenever he chooses. Did you ever see the Big East Commish do that? How about the NCAA?

http://voices.yahoo.com/michael-vick-reinstated-nfl-commissioner-roger-3897722.html

Actually the station wagon would win a distance race with an F1 car.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

How about David Stern like guy.  Under him the NBA started marketing "super stars".  It wouldn't be a bad way to go with the American.  You know there are going to be many future NFL players in the league.  If you look at our past there are many NFL star players from the teams in the American.  In golf people watch when Tiger is playing so we need that super star QB or RB that TV could promote as the Best in America(yes pun intended).  Gotta see this guy play.  Sure you can watch Alabama or Michigan or USC but we have "insert name".  I would sure hope there would be at least a half dozen guys like that in the conference.  I guess I see our only hope as being great promotion on a conference wide basis of our best players.  IMHO.  I know I like watching Johnny Football now.