• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'm ashamed of student government for this

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I submitted an idea for them.  A 5k race through campus to start the semester ending in the track stadium. They give out prizes to the best runners in several categories (overall, by class, greek, professors). Also have team prizes. And then fun prizes like best costume or something.  I wouldn't call it a tradition straight off, but it is something that can be built on and evolve into a tradition.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Yes, you're right, I'm a joke. If we go along with this, I can definitely see us on that bleacher report list in the future.

"______ was started back in 2013 when student government posted on facebook asking for ideas for a tradition. They picked 4 ideas and put them on a blackboard ballot. There was not an overwhelming support for any of the ideas, but they decided to go with ______. Student government tried to push the idea for almost 2 years, but with lack of student support ______ was eventually abandoned."

You actually care about what is written in Bleacher Report? It's not even a legitmate news source.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Traditions evolve. But they have to evolve from something. And that something has to come from somewhere...some seed...some idea. 

IF SG wants to try to get something going, that's fine. We (well, no...not all of 'we') complain about the lack of tradition, and then complain when

some effort starts to go in that direction. At seventeen years old, it's going to take a grass roots effort to get something like that started. 

One guys brilliant 'hey, this would be fun and funny' is the other guy's 'how f*ing stupid are you?'...on this board. The 5K race sounds like a reasonable start.

Minimum cost...no TSA/RJS involvement (forget the live bull, it ain't happenin'). If you're looking for some sort of stadium/in-game antic, someone has to

come up with something, and the best way to kick start that is through the students. 

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

I submitted an idea for them.  A 5k race through campus to start the semester ending in the track stadium. They give out prizes to the best runners in several categories (overall, by class, greek, professors). Also have team prizes. And then fun prizes like best costume or something.  I wouldn't call it a tradition straight off, but it is something that can be built on and evolve into a tradition.

I like this idea. Then have a big welcome party on the field there at the stadium. Food trucks, local vendors, Busch Gardens animals, local bands

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  453
  • Days Won:  1

I like this

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I'm not ashamed, I commend them for being proactive. The problem isn't creating the tradition, its implementing and getting people to go along.

Last year they did this, brainstormed for weeks and came up with that hankie that they tried selling for $7 and was a massive failure.

They did that wrong. You don't sell them first off. You give them to an entire section of seats and encourage them to use them. Once the rest of the crowd sees it they either want to do it or don't. Gauge interest at that point and promote it or ditch it.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  181
  • Days Won:  0

We are the USF Bulls.  So cowbells at football games, and make the stadium able to be heard from that stupid University in Orlando that is always under construction.  

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

My Tradition is   thebullspen.com

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

You are a patriot sir.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  185

I know this isn't really a tradition but it could evolve it to a few traditions based on how well it works. 

IDEA

Get our professors and TA's more involved with our athletics programs. I remember when I was going to USF there were some prof's that would schedule tests the day of a big game resulting in students missing out on a great college experience that they could never get back. It seemed like most prof's only cared about their Alma mater and is something that should change as they are an employee of the school and should want to see the University receive as much attention as possible. It also helps them out in the long run since the school will make more money to help pay for their salaries.  

So my thought was to institute some co-ordination between athletics and faculty, who would then bond with their students showing school pride. I remember most of my prof's never having a clue about what was going on with the school and could care less. That attitude needs to change and fast as it only makes us feel more like a commuter college. 

One idea that came to mind was for a professor to give extra credit to students who attend a game of their choosing.

Or offer a prize to the class that invents and implements the best new tradition at a live game each year. Would also be good for the classes with high student to faculty ratio's(500+ students) since it would offer more opportunities for the professors to get to know their students. You figure a majority of the undergrad pre-req courses are usually large classes that could easily make a huge scene at a soccer, baseball, softball, basketball or other sporting event and start a tradition. Those classes are usually not very critical in a students development as they are basic courses.  

I know education comes first but we could easily start to show more emphasis in our love for our school through our teachers and students cheering for their fellow classmates together and showing school spirit/pride.

You have to figure with all of the professors we have and the schools they have gone to they probably have some great ideas or similar traditions they could start here(think Mr. Two Bits). It's not like most traditions are unique to that one school, most our copied from other schools but with their own twist.

Just a thought?

Maybe even try to get the different colleges to compete against each other by promoting their college(i.e. COBA vs. Education vs. Engineering) . You can't get any better advertising for free than having 500+ students in uniform doing something in unison that promotes your college. Especially if it's on national TV and who knows how many prospective students you can lure with your tradition by them wanting to be a part of it when they go to college. Also it doesn't have to be on TV, all it takes is a phone and YouTube and it can go viral!

If that does take flight I bet our Engineering program can come up with some pretty sweet ideas considering their talent with robots and other mech engineering.