• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The word is "win", Doug

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

This quote from Doug this morning nearly had me throwing my computer off a cliff:

I see this quote in 3 parts. 

1. "I've always wanted us to be the best we can be..."

NO! That's something you say when you are content with mediocrity. Your goal needs to be to WIN. If I am playing a pick up basketball game vs Kobe Bryant, then it's ok for me to want to be "the best I can be". If I have the size, location, and potential that USF has, I want to win. I don't want gold stars anymore!

2. "...even on a national level...

EVEN on a national level? You mean especially on a national level? I feel like I'm going crazy at this point. So far, Doug has said "if we can try our best and get a participation medal in our new conference, that's great! But oh boy, imagine if we could even get national attention!"

3. "...so our goals [in the new conference] won't change a bit"

Well perfect! That's the hallmark of greatness right there. Complete complacency! Just got kicked down? Just got a demotion? That's ok! Don't roll up your sleeves and work that much harder, just fight the good fight! 

In a world where leadership is of the utmost importance, if this is the mentality in the Athletic Dept, I find it difficult to have hope. USF as a university and a body has no ceiling. This mentality gives us no floor. Yes, I'm frustrated. I love this program, but am beginning to resent the athletic dept. The typos, the 4-22 record in football and basketball, all capped with cute platitudes about being "the best we can". 

The word is WIN, and we need to use that word NOW. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

While Woolard's statement sounds stupid, you are kind of disecting his words too much.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

So maybe he didn't use the word, but of course he wants to win... there's zero incentive to lose; only disincentive.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  2

I'm not a fan of Doug, but I think that's just the way Doug is. He isn't the most enthusiastic person and is very passive. I would not expect him to mention us wanting to win on big stages or even his desire to move us to a new conference. He'll take the cliche route saying, "We are going to do our best to succeed and put our best foot forward to get better."

IMO he is very bland, and it is just his personality. I don't think he meant anything by it.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I'm thinking with the incentives the guy stands to make (as we discussed in another thread)...he'd be crazy to not want to win. DW wants to win and he wants to get PAID when we do it.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

I hear the apology in the statement...

That's step one...

I like what he has done with Skip's replacement +1

NOW I would like to see a plan spelled out so we don't remain mid tier...

All things being equal and no cap on AD personel  might I suggest Additional Office Staff for recruiting STAR players...

It'ss often been said here  WE GET UNDER THE RADAR RECRUITS

We will rise by two factors....One is Coaching staff the other recruits....

My sugestion is to not match what some of the SEC are spending on staff  If possible make a  five year plans and out spend them with the money from the BE break up.

So to me a logical conclusion to draw from ....UNDER THE RADAR ....is that these recruits are HIDDEN...This implies hard to find...this leades to more eyes on the ground....this is a positive step..IMO 

If we continue to do everything the same as the past WHY expect different results...So change is NECESSARY...To me this is step one and should be implimented right away...If we are going to be a NATIONAL TEAM we need to RECRUIT AT A NATIONAL LEVEL....

Spend the BE Money on ourselves on OFFICE STAFF RECRUITERS......find the tallent in the small schools, the single star with little support.

GoBulls

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I think the word "win" should be used whenever we are talking about our goals as a program.

That's really why you play the game to WIN not to participate.

But then again, it just sounds like any other politician.  I wouldn't over analyze it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

So maybe he didn't use the word, but of course he wants to win... there's zero incentive to lose; only disincentive.

That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, TallyBull, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

• Upvote 2