• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The word is "win", Doug

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,002
  • Days Won:  12

Try and look at this objectively vs a USF fan with unrealistic expectations. Doug sounds like a realist. Be the best possible. He knows that doesn't mean be the best in the SEC. Athletics is a finite world with lots more going on behind the scenes than what happens on the field or court. He knows the best coaches like Nick Saban or Mike" Krzyzewski won't be a USF coach for many reasons so he goes out and finds the best coaches he can and gives them huge incentives to win. He links their success to his salary so he won't get paid unless they do well, which acts as a further incentive to him to get the best coaches he possible can. And he knows that the best players in each sport, due to many factors, probably will only sign up to USF occasionally. So he has spent millions on facilities to get USF in the top tier in that department. You can't make the best athletes and coaches come to USF. All you can hope for is that the ground work be laid out to make it as attractive as possible  and that the coaches and athletes do their best possible to coach and compete.  Many of you think you can just make the top athletes and coaches come to USF. It doesn't work that way, at least not within the NCAA guidelines. But if you are in the group thinking it, then yeah, you'd have issues with anything Doug says. But just like USF not being in a Power 5 conference, reality check people.

Doug has 2 very easy choices:

1. He can look at, say, TCU/Utah/Boise State as models for what building a program and national brand looks like. This isn't a pie-in-the-sky story. This actually happened. They actually built national brands, and two of them went from the minors straight to the pros. We were so close. He can say LETS DO IT. 

or

2. He can say woe is me, woe is my conference, let's just participate and whatever happens, I'll accept. 

We aren't entitled to success. We have to earn it. But we will never earn it with the mentality of #2. You have to want it. Doug's comments make me doubt that he wants it. 

I wonder what TCU's mentality, and Utah's mentality was in the MWC. Would they have been better off with a reality check? Or accepting that they were just not good enough to compete?

Edited by hm101

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Try and look at this objectively vs a USF fan with unrealistic expectations. Doug sounds like a realist. Be the best possible. He knows that doesn't mean be the best in the SEC. Athletics is a finite world with lots more going on behind the scenes than what happens on the field or court. He knows the best coaches like Nick Saban or Mike" Krzyzewski won't be a USF coach for many reasons so he goes out and finds the best coaches he can and gives them huge incentives to win. He links their success to his salary so he won't get paid unless they do well, which acts as a further incentive to him to get the best coaches he possible can. And he knows that the best players in each sport, due to many factors, probably will only sign up to USF occasionally. So he has spent millions on facilities to get USF in the top tier in that department. You can't make the best athletes and coaches come to USF. All you can hope for is that the ground work be laid out to make it as attractive as possible  and that the coaches and athletes do their best possible to coach and compete.  Many of you think you can just make the top athletes and coaches come to USF. It doesn't work that way, at least not within the NCAA guidelines. But if you are in the group thinking it, then yeah, you'd have issues with anything Doug says. But just like USF not being in a Power 5 conference, reality check people.

Doug has 2 very easy choices:

1. He can look at, say, TCU/Utah/Boise State as models for what building a program and national brand looks like. This isn't a pie-in-the-sky story. This actually happened. They actually built national brands, and two of them went from the minors straight to the pros. We were so close. He can say LETS DO IT. 

or

2. He can say woe is me, woe is my conference, let's just participate and whatever happens, I'll accept. 

We aren't entitled to success. We have to earn it. But we will never earn it with the mentality of #2. You have to want it. Doug's comments make me doubt that he wants it. 

I wonder what TCU's mentality, and Utah's mentality was in the MWC. Would they have been better off with a reality check? Or accepting that they were just not good enough to compete?

TCU started playing football in the 1800s. So did Utah. Boise St is the newcomer on your list only 90 years old. Program and university age, all part of that whole behind the scene things I alluded to in my post. None of these are over night successes by any means.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I'm not a fan of Doug, but I think that's just the way Doug is. He isn't the most enthusiastic person and is very passive. I would not expect him to mention us wanting to win on big stages or even his desire to move us to a new conference. He'll take the cliche route saying, "We are going to do our best to succeed and put our best foot forward to get better."

IMO he is very bland, and it is just his personality. I don't think he meant anything by it.

he is in the wrong business

and should have been let go long ago and he should be let go now

he is simply punching a clock;going thru the motions if you will

being ad is about enthusiasm and passion

that is the very nature of sports

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

An estimate of costs, revenues, and resources over a specified period, reflecting a reading of futurefinancial conditions and goals.

Budget

One of the most important administrative tools, a budget serves also as a (1) plan of action for achieving quantified objectives, (2) standard for measuring performance, and (3) device for coping with foreseeable adverse situations.

I would blame Doug for every loss and ask for his immediate removal If he had sole power to set and approve the AD alocation and Budget..

Go Bulls

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/budget.html#ixzz2NiVDocN7

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

With all the changes in college sports and the other dynamics going on, I'm will to give DW a small pass.  He made a great hire in CWT, and seems to have some of the programs headed in the right direction.  Our facilities have seen a major improvement/face lift and our deal with UA has brought some decent national attention

But his job is to ensure our programs are set up to "win" and have long term/consistent progress.  Which is the biggest issue with him and our programs...

• We need to start bowling and moving up in football (to get into a real conference)
  • Get back to the Dance, no more up and down seasons in hoops (both M & W)
  • Finally make it to the baseball tourney...baseball is such a no brainer in FL, why can't we get things going there just blows my mind?!
  • Get soccer back
  • Plus find some real effetive way to market the teams and programs locally and nationally

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If you think about it, virtually EVERYONE agreed that DW made a great hire when he brought Skippy in.

That Skippy turned out to be an utter failure can hardly be blamed on DW.

Most folks thought Prado was a good fire AT THE TIME, same for Heath, same now for Willie.

Skippy's lack of success and Heath's limited success are not DW's "personal" fault - he did what he could to make sure they'd have the tools they needed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not DW fan - especially when our marketing sux so hugely, but our on-field performance is not his fault, per se.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

With all the changes in college sports and the other dynamics going on, I'm will to give DW a small pass.  He made a great hire in CWT, and seems to have some of the programs headed in the right direction.  Our facilities have seen a major improvement/face lift and our deal with UA has brought some decent national attention

But his job is to ensure our programs are set up to "win" and have long term/consistent progress.  Which is the biggest issue with him and our programs...

• We need to start bowling and moving up in football (to get into a real conference)
  • Get back to the Dance, no more up and down seasons in hoops (both M & W)
  • Finally make it to the baseball tourney...baseball is such a no brainer in FL, why can't we get things going there just blows my mind?!
  • Get soccer back
  • Plus find some real effetive way to market the teams and programs locally and nationally

Hit the nail on the head: Basketball WILL be good next year. Football recruiting is up and it should start showing on the field now that mopy mcmoperson is not head coach. Soccer will be at the top of the new conference and should have a good rivalry with UCF who plays good soccer as well. The only real major glaring flaw we have going forward is BASEBALL which is consistently the laughing stock of the state and has trouble competing with teams from up north who can't even practice outside before the season starts!?!? Prado needs to be fired immediately barring some amazing turn around. Other than that, the future looks bright as far as the winning is concerned.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Um, we have no idea if Willie Taggart is a good hire.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Too many people are equating the athletics department and the job of AD to that of the on field success of only the football and men's basketball team.  

Woolard runs a profitable department or close to it.  Did a great job over seeing and managing the entire athletic village.  Go back to when he was hired and that was one of the reasons he was hired for the job.  Because of his involvement and success in similar ventures.  Since he has been here, other than the situation with Leavitt, i don't believe there have been any major incidents (recruiting or otherwise) with any of the programs.  Under his watch he also landing major funding for the gold team.  

In the last few years Softball has become a perennial powerhouse.  Soccer is one of the best programs now in the country  Ladies basketball has done pretty well (winning an NIT tourney a few years ago, another run this year after rebuilding).  While basketball hasn't had consistent success yet, we have 2 of our best ever in a 3 year period.  Until the last couple of years Football has been on the upswing and he made the change when he needed to.

Someone mentioned Boise State, hell they don't even field a baseball team or a men's soccer team.  Until this year, their basketball team has been near bottom dwellers in a much weaker conference than ours.  TCU sucks in BB, BSU sucks in ladies BB.

TCU was a national brand well before USF was even a school.  Utah has played in 28 NCAA, been to the final four 4 times and in the sweet 16 15 times  (multiple times in each decade since the 1950s.)  Both of these schools were national brands well before USF even existed as a school.

I have no problem with the job Woolard has done in his tenure here.  People need to have some perspective of where the program was when he took over.  Is he going to be the guy to take us to the next level?  I am not sure, but he has done a solid, professional job since he has been here.

Other than Football and Basketball not meeting someone's hoped for "expectations" yet, I'd like to hear some arguments of where he has fallen short in his job as AD given what he had to work with.  Not just that we are in a hotbed of football recruiting and we should be doing better in football at this point.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

Too many people are equating the athletics department and the job of AD to that of the on field success of only the football and men's basketball team.  

Woolard runs a profitable department or close to it.  Did a great job over seeing and managing the entire athletic village.  Go back to when he was hired and that was one of the reasons he was hired for the job.  Because of his involvement and success in similar ventures.  Since he has been here, other than the situation with Leavitt, i don't believe there have been any major incidents (recruiting or otherwise) with any of the programs.  Under his watch he also landing major funding for the gold team.  

In the last few years Softball has become a perennial powerhouse.  Soccer is one of the best programs now in the country  Ladies basketball has done pretty well (winning an NIT tourney a few years ago, another run this year after rebuilding).  While basketball hasn't had consistent success yet, we have 2 of our best ever in a 3 year period.  Until the last couple of years Football has been on the upswing and he made the change when he needed to.

Someone mentioned Boise State, hell they don't even field a baseball team or a men's soccer team.  Until this year, their basketball team has been near bottom dwellers in a much weaker conference than ours.  TCU sucks in BB, BSU sucks in ladies BB.

TCU was a national brand well before USF was even a school.  Utah has played in 28 NCAA, been to the final four 4 times and in the sweet 16 15 times  (multiple times in each decade since the 1950s.)  Both of these schools were national brands well before USF even existed as a school.

I have no problem with the job Woolard has done in his tenure here.  People need to have some perspective of where the program was when he took over.  Is he going to be the guy to take us to the next level?  I am not sure, but he has done a solid, professional job since he has been here.

Other than Football and Basketball not meeting someone's hoped for "expectations" yet, I'd like to hear some arguments of where he has fallen short in his job as AD given what he had to work with.  Not just that we are in a hotbed of football recruiting and we should be doing better in football at this point.

wise

1 [wahyz] Show IPA adjective, wis·er, wis·est, verb, wised, wis·ing.

adjective

having the power of discerning and judging properly as to what is true or right; possessing discernment, judgment, or discretion.

characterized by or showing such power; judicious or prudent: a wise decision.

possessed of or characterized by scholarly knowledge or learning; learned; erudite: wise in the law.

having knowledge or information as to facts, circumstances, etc.: We are wiser for their explanations.

I am elated to have a wise answer...

Thank you,

Go Bulls