• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Weiner Stays at Plant

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If there was any "influencing" done, ie $$$$, it wasn't to screw USF, it was strictly to keep Weiner ... They probably raised his recruiting budget.

-------------------------

Exactly.  I can't believe the board is melting down over a high school coach that was briefly going to be a position coach.  

The funny part is the posters on here melting down, and criticizing Weiner for being impulsive.  Talk about irony.  

-------------------

I'm not melting down but I think it was a **** move for him to do it. Unless CWT forced him to make a decision on the spot, you take whatever time you can to make a life move like this and be **** sure when you commit to it.

----------

This ...

This situation is:

Great for Weiner from a PR standpoint - he has even more cred now that a university had offered him a job and I'm thinking he's probably getting something in return for staying.

Bad for USF from a PR standpoint - we get rejected by a HS coach and it's just one more injection of medicine in the ass that we're having difficulty hiring coaches and/or changing conferences. It's piss poor perception of USF.

Guys like Bull94 and Data seem to be in denial about the latter or at best, overlooking it.

------------------

Come on.  The guy got all excited about being a coach at the college level.  Let's face it, if any of us were offered such an opportunity it would be very exciting.  He said yes.  Then he started thinking about all of the downsides, about the relationships at Plant, his students at Plant, his family, etc.   He decided it wasn't what he wanted to do with his life.

This is hugely different than an assistant at Akron taking a job at USF then deciding to stay at Akron.  Or the Billy Donovan situation.  When someone has decided to live the life of a college/pro coach, there are a lot of things that come with the territory and they have accepted that already.  All of those factors are already in play.

In this case you are talking about a guy that has been a high school teacher for twenty years.  That means being home every night, no travel, actually teaching young kids.   To ask him to give all that up is a huge, huge decision.  It takes time for all of that to be factored in.

This was a unique situation, and I think it is ridiculous to beat him up over it.  

And in the end, just like a high school commit, it would be far worse to spend a year or two or five doing something that your heart wasn't in.  Changing his mind after a couple of days really isn't a big deal.  Changing his mind after a few months would be a big deal.

There are far more important things in life than the meltdown over this.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  130
  • Days Won:  0

It makes sense. With things going the way they are, Plant is going to be offered an invitation to join the Big East soon.

LOLOLOLOLOOLOLL :lmao:

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

It's shocking that so many seem to think he's fine doing this. It's highly unprofessional to accept the job of this public nature, announce it, then change your mind.

Bush league move. But I'm sure a big 3 position will open for him soon.

He used and abused this situation for his gain is my guess. Let the big school get nervous about losing a recruit, then they'll open up their wallets for him. Maybe he'll stay at Plant forever, in which case I'm wrong. It's still unprofessional.

If it leaked like Lance for the DC job that he was considering it it's one thing. But publicly accepting then turning back is unprofessional. And if he parlays this into another job he's a sleazebag

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

He owes Taggert now.   We now have him as a someone who will help us because of his decision. 

Sounds good to me.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

He owes Taggert now.   We now have him as a someone who will help us because of his decision. 

Sounds good to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlikely.

IMO, he'll now bend over backwards for the other Florida programs to prove he actually doesn't "owe" anything to USF.

He played us like a schoolgirl.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

So, we aren't good enough for a HS coach.  We aren't good enough for a LB coach from Stanford to become our DC.  Kind of goes toward what I was saying about USF being toxic not having a conference for a home.  We are a few days into re-opening of recruiting and there is no staff in place.  May as well have waited until now to hire the head coach and have him bring a staff with him.  I'm exaggerating, but this really isn't going well IMO. 

Willie Taggart, "Mr. Linebacker recruit I want you to come play for me at USF"

Mr. Linebacker recruit, "Who is your DC and what type defense will I be playing in?"

Willie Taggart, "Don't concern yourself with that.  I'll let you know after you sign on signing day.  If we win out we can play for a national championship" (fingers crossed behind his back)

Mr. Linebacker recruit "But I'd like to know if will be a blitzing, aggressive defense.  UF and FS tell me that I can blitz on every down ". 

Willie Taggart, "I assure you that we need you and will put your talents to the best use".

And when do we get the quote system fixed?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

it's odd how many people are glass half empty, the world is out to get USF types on this board. it was not some nefarious plot to undermine USF.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Come on. The guy got all excited about being a coach at the college level. Let's face it, if any of us were offered such an opportunity it would be very exciting. He said yes. Then he started thinking about all of the downsides, about the relationships at Plant, his students at Plant, his family, etc. He decided it wasn't what he wanted to do with his life.

In this case you are talking about a guy that has been a high school teacher for twenty years.  That means being home every night, no travel, actually teaching young kids.   To ask him to give all that up is a huge, huge decision.  It takes time for all of that to be factored in.

----

Exactly, so don't you think it's pretty apparent that he made an extremely hasty decision when he probably should have thought it through much more than he apparently did? Again, I have no problem with people changing their minds but there are consequences when decisions are made. I just don't see how you can say what you did in the first paragraph and not see a lack of professionalism - especially from one that has been in the workplace so long.

There are far more important things in life than the meltdown over this.

-----

I agree, which is why I haven't let this come close to ruining my day, counter to what you seem to think, and I'm sure it's true of the vast majority of those of us posting our displeasure with what and how this happened.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Aaannnnnnnnnddddd that wall we thought we were getting around this area just came crashing down.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

It's shocking that so many seem to think he's fine doing this. It's highly unprofessional to accept the job of this public nature, announce it, then change your mind.

Bush league move. But I'm sure a big 3 position will open for him soon.

He used and abused this situation for his gain is my guess. Let the big school get nervous about losing a recruit, then they'll open up their wallets for him. Maybe he'll stay at Plant forever, in which case I'm wrong. It's still unprofessional.

If it leaked like Lance for the DC job that he was considering it it's one thing. But publicly accepting then turning back is unprofessional. And if he parlays this into another job he's a sleazebag

I agree 100%. If he had any doubts, he should have waited and thought it through. He accepted, the university put out a press release and he then decided to stay. Very unprofessional.

In life, image is everything, and right now the optics on this for USF is horrible.

Right now, this program is like Pig Pen from Charley Brown with a cloud constantly hanging over its head.

Thanks Skip. You tempoed us right in to irrelevancy.