• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt/Holtz/Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Leavitt was starting to bring in a few top recruits each year. Something we needed to compete at the BCS level and something skip failed to do.

How do you define "top recuits"? Skip had exactly two recruiting classes. We don't know how those will turn out yet, but several of the players from his first class were getting playing time and playing pretty darn well last season.

From Leavitt's classes, exactly which "top recruits" did anything the last two years? I count BJ Daniels, Kayvon Webster and Barrington. There were an awful lot of failures in a very large senior class that was all Leavitt recruits.

Thus far, I would say that Holtz may or may not have recruited all that well. But Leavitt's last couple of recruiting classes were dreadful.

It's kinda hard to say they were the problem when they weren't coached very well? Skip's system didn't favor speed & athleticism! When you say his recruits played well, to which of our 9 losses are you referring?

Yeah, Lanaris and George Baker were the epitome of speed and athleticism. That's why they were so bad. Those two QBs Leavitt signed were ready to step in when BJ went down.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt was starting to bring in a few top recruits each year. Something we needed to compete at the BCS level and something skip failed to do.

How do you define "top recuits"? Skip had exactly two recruiting classes. We don't know how those will turn out yet, but several of the players from his first class were getting playing time and playing pretty darn well last season.

From Leavitt's classes, exactly which "top recruits" did anything the last two years? I count BJ Daniels, Kayvon Webster and Barrington. There were an awful lot of failures in a very large senior class that was all Leavitt recruits.

Thus far, I would say that Holtz may or may not have recruited all that well. But Leavitt's last couple of recruiting classes were dreadful.

It's kinda hard to say they were the problem when they weren't coached very well? Skip's system didn't favor speed & athleticism! When you say his recruits played well, to which of our 9 losses are you referring?

Yeah, Lanaris and George Baker were the epitome of speed and athleticism. That's why they were so bad. Those two QBs Leavitt signed were ready to step in when BJ went down.

All I know is my conversations with Snyder he said this was the fastest most athletic defense he had seen. But what does a DC know over the futbol guru's on this board? As for Baker, he runs a 4.4 40. Lanaris at LB a 4.6 40. That's pretty fast on ANY team! problem is, these guys left behind by Leavitt weren't coached in the system for which they were recruited. Skippy was always trying to pull in the reigns and it showed in his record.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

Leavitt - High energy. Scary high energy at times. Ran the team down trying to keep up. Made a better linebacker than coach.

Holt - Roll with the punches. Got the **** kicked out of him and us. Always seemed OK with it. Low energy.

Taggart - Only guessing at this point, but I hope he is a high energy, roll with the punches WINNER! Hopefully makes a better coach than the two above!

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I was very disappointed in the Jim, but will frame my signed Jersey one day. The man will always be USF football to me

Skip, I wish I could drink away

Taggert, lets see....

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484

with the crappy conference situation, we will not be getting top recruits anymore.

with the exception of a couple big names every year or two, when did we ever get top recruits?

and if we're in a "crappy conference situation," why do we need top recruits? the majority of other teams in the conference won't have any better recruits than we do.

coaching is not just recruiting 5 star athletes and throwing them on the field. coaching is about DEVELOPING players. if Taggart is a good coach, he will develop the 3 star players we get into winners. the idea that all USF needs is 5 star recruits to dominate is simplistic and unrealistic. give USF Alabama's recruits or Florida's recruits or FSU's recruits and even Skip might have won 3 or 4 games in conference.

the point is we don't-- and shouldnt-- need that to win in a conference with Tulane and Temple. we shouldnt have needed that to win in a conference with Cuse and Pitt, either.

Our best players were not super recruits...Trent Richardson was a 3 star I believe...I think it's 60/40 natural ability to coaching split with football players...look at Ohio St....2011...7-5...2012...12-0... Only change was coaching

Edited by BiggTipp

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484

Speaking of Leavitt, I was reading old Auman Blog posts from 2006 and then I thought Leavitt was a bumbling idiot when it came to talking to the media but reading it now being older and more sarcastic I think Leavitt was a genius and such a smart ass when it came to talking to media...I was reading Greg's Blog post on Leavitts PC after the 2006 UNC game...friggin hilarious!!! Miss that

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Leavitt - JOB 1 - Win the Conference - FAIL.

Holtz - JOB 1 - Win the Conference - FAIL.

Taggart-JOB 1 -Win the Conference - ???

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Taggart-JOB 1 -Win the Conference - ??? **** Of course now it's also a completely different conference. 3 years ago, Tulane, Temple, E carolina, etc, would have been considered tune up games. Now, they are conference foes, meaning they can beat us! Quite a few steps backwards has this once skyrocketing program taken.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

Taggart-JOB 1 -Win the Conference - ??? **** Of course now it's also a completely different conference. 3 years ago, Tulane, Temple, E carolina, etc, would have been considered tune up games. Now, they are conference foes, meaning they can beat us! Quite a few steps backwards has this once skyrocketing program taken.

There's never been a point in our history where 1A games like that would have, realistically, been considered tune up games ...