• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Aresco's Big East Plan

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

what I really want to know is will we have to wait to get an autobid to the NCAA Basketball tournament?

This would be a key in all this but I'd have to think there would be some kind of emergency provision enacted ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Im sure the New conference could petition the NCAA to get autobid for NCAA BB tourney. The NCAA makes rules up as they go along, I cant see them keeping the 12 -16 Schools out of the BB tourney esp after the way the FB expansion has gone crazy. NCAA had no say in this mess. (conference realignment)

The Auto Bid for BB Tourney they would.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Im sure the New conference could petition the NCAA to get autobid for NCAA BB tourney. The NCAA makes rules up as they go along, I cant see them keeping the 12 -16 Schools out of the BB tourney esp after the way the FB expansion has gone crazy. NCAA had no say in this mess. (conference realignment)

It's not like the conference champion of said league wouldn't get an at large bid anyhow. It's a no brainer that the NCAA will give the new league an auto-bid. Any stories bringing up that the new league wont have an autobid are just reaching for more crap to pile on. It's true, but that's one of the simpler problems facing the new conference.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It's not like the conference champion of said league wouldn't get an at large bid anyhow. It's a no brainer that the NCAA will give the new league an auto-bid. Any stories bringing up that the new league wont have an autobid are just reaching for more crap to pile on. It's true, but that's one of the simpler problems facing the new conference.

One of the rules says that if 7 teams play together for 5 years, they are a de facto conference and get an auto bid - this is what the Catholic 7 are counting on and why they're willing to leave rather than try to disband, etc.

The interesting thing is that if the football schools keep the BE name, they should also then keep the BE autobid, but there won't be 7 teams that have played together for 5 years, so if it was a newly created conference there'd be no guarantee of a bid.

I think we keep the autobid.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Big east needs to go to 16 because more teams will be leaving in a few years.

A best of the rest conference is the best any of the universities not in the big 5 can do or hope for. It's the most logical to form a league to secure access to the 6th bowl slot.

Now, IF nobody were to leave the conference it could be a much stronger conference in 5 or 6 years because of the markets. This is assuming UCF, Houston, SMU, all get a lot better and grow the fan bases and cable ratings climb. I think a few schools leave before this happens.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Yea, hopefully we are one of them.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Dennis Dodd â€@dennisdoddcbs

Big East contacts Fresno, UNLV. http://cbsprt.co/SUDGr7

Retweeted by Greg Auman

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Just give me a good all around league.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Dennis Dodd â€@dennisdoddcbs

Big East contacts Fresno, UNLV. http://cbsprt.co/SUDGr7

Retweeted by Greg Auman

This is about all we can do.

It's a better move than going after more crappy east coast schools like So Miss or Rutgers.