• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Bulls might be tough college football coaching job to fill

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Agree with all the final thoughts. Hope he(and myself) is wrong though.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

This is the meme among our so-called "media." Last night, Tood Wright said basically the same thing, suggesting our program was a third-tier program under "50 feet of ****" (quoting a movie line I believe).

These people have their own loyalties. CFB is a snobby club of star-bellied sneetches. Originally, we didn't have a star (AQ), but later got one. Now, the popular thing is to not have a star (no more AQ), but you have to have a bowl contract to be in the "Power Five."

Sneetches-2.jpg

These "media" folks have their own loyalties. Unless they grew up in Tampa or attended USF, they look down at us because we're "nouveau riche." Don't you see? THEIRS is the better university. Why, how could little ol' South Florida compete with the likes of Florida? Florida State? Miami?

While I understand that the Big East has weakened and USF isn't as attractive a job as it was when Holtz was hired, it's ridiculous to say it's an undesirable job. Quit slandering my school, a**holes!

Here's what I say: f*ck them and their fish wraps. I hope the next USF coach takes these sleights personally and instills an attitude of anger in the kids that choose to come to our school. We need a culture of "us against the world" at USF, because... it really is "us against the world." The best way to get revenge is to WIN.

Just my "two cents," Tom Jones.

Edited by TallyBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I contend that USF is a more attractive job than when Holtz was hired. Holtz was hired to win championships. The new coach will be hired to turn around and rebuild the program. A 6-6 or 7-5 team the next few years will look more like success than failure.

Sure the team is weaker, but so is the competition. Back to back 9 or 10 loss seasons is really the only thing that will run a coach out of town. A winning record will buy the new coach at least 4 or 5 years. A great record gives the guy a job for life.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

it's laughable to suggest that any job that pays at least $1.5M per year will be difficult to fill.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  87
  • Days Won:  0

Every rumor on twitter is saying that there is a ton of interest in the job. I'm positive we will have no problem landing a good coach...

"FootballScoop Staff â€@footballscoop

I don't know who South Florida's AD is truly interested in; but goodness I've heard of a lot of coaches that want that job

Retweeted by Greg Auman"

FootballScoop Staff â€@footballscoop

.@alexmarvez has reported that Houston Nutt will interview with South Florida. Said it a few times…huge interest in that job. Huge.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

it's laughable to suggest that any job that pays at least $1.5M per year will be difficult to fill.

Too be honest, I'm not convinced we spend that kind of money on the new coach. If it's Taggart, I could easily see him coming in for $950K with a lot of back loaded incentives, which considering we were 3-9 this year will be a year or two out of reach. If we somehow went after someone like Petrino or a nother guy with more experience I could see us paying the $1.5 - 2.0 mark again with an even bigger assistant salary pool.

I could be wrong, but I think the salary will be tailored to the candidate.

I would also hope that if it's Taggart, we shell out some big money (like 1.5 to 2 X money to get a top notch DC).

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Once the position is filled, we should tell whoever the new coach is that there are members of the local media (Tom Jones, Todd Wright) that think it was foolish for him to have taken this job. We've got to hold these "media" folks accountable. They're entitled to their opinions, but we're also entitled to expose them as a**hats if we want to.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385

Wow, Tom Jones is really setting a new low as one of the most inept, lazy sports writers in America (similar to Bianchi and David Whitley). Why is anyone paying this guy for his "insight?" He has never contributed a thoughtful, fact-based article.

Pay attention TOM JONES (cool name, btw) to all the interest that the USF job is garnering. It's all about the $, children worry about things like conference affiliation

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385

^This

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

The article lost all credibility when he said Colorado was a big time coaching job. Really Tom ? Really ? Really ? Colorado - the most irelevant team in the Pac 10 for decades.