• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Houston Nutt interested in USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Living in Mobile, AL, (SEC is 24/7/365 here), I can say without a doubt WE DO NOT WANT THIS GUY!!!! Arkansas fans couldn't run him out of town fast enough for the same reason we just ran Skip out of town. He's got zero connections where we need them most. Totally not a fit for USF.

Contrary to my original comment, I agree.

Why would we go for coaches that were fired for the same reason we just fired Skip?

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

We haven't won our conference once. It'd be a nice change of pace of we did. :D

he's never won the sec either

He's won his division. One with LSU, Alabama and Auburn. That easily equals winning 20 Big East titles.

+1

it needs to be in context. alabama was awful for awhile. so was lsu and auburn.

Well last time I checked every team in the Big East sucks and not SEC sucks... like CUSA sucks.

Exactly. So I bet that sucky Alabama team's fans that year was wishing for more Big East teams on their schedule. Its the level of competition and recruiting. I think he could be successful in the Big East.

I'm sold on Nutt... he may not be sexy but if he is interested and would be a cheap hire, then why not? A low level SEC team like Ole Miss would run a train on every team in the Big East next year.

I'm thinking that most don't like Nutt because they are afraid he would be too laid back and a clone of Skip... between Taggart and Nutt I'd say it would be a toss up for me. Neither are my top choices.

I'm leaning more and more towards Petrino...

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We haven't won our conference once. It'd be a nice change of pace of we did. :D

he's never won the sec either

He's won his division. One with LSU, Alabama and Auburn. That easily equals winning 20 Big East titles.

+1

it needs to be in context. alabama was awful for awhile. so was lsu and auburn.

Well last time I checked every team in the Big East sucks and not SEC sucks... like CUSA sucks.

Exactly. So I bet that sucky Alabama team's fans that year was wishing for more Big East teams on their schedule. Its the level of competition and recruiting. I think he could be successful in the Big East.

I'm sold on Nutt... he may not be sexy but if he is interested and would be a cheap hire, then why not?

A low level SEC team like Ole Miss would run a train on every team in the Big East next year.

I'm thinking that most don't like Nutt because they are afraid he would be too laid back and a clone of Skip...

you do understand that we won't get sec recruits even if he is the choice right? we need someone young and energetic that can sell this program. he is not it.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I always heard that only reason Malzahn came to Arkansas as OC was because of a package deal to bring in Mitch Mustain - Malzahn was Mustain's HS coach, I believe. Mustain didn't exactly work out for Nutt and Arkansas.

Mustain was 8-0 as a true freshman starter for #11 arkansas until Nutt benched him for no apparent reason. it led to his transfer as well as Malzahn leaving. it ultimately got Nutt fired.

Gotcha. Tells me a little more about Nutt that makes me want him very far away from USF ... not like I needed another reason anyway.

Mustain never did anything else in college. Maybe Nutt made the right move.

I'm thinking Mustain might have gotten screwed over by the whole deal.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I always heard that only reason Malzahn came to Arkansas as OC was because of a package deal to bring in Mitch Mustain - Malzahn was Mustain's HS coach, I believe. Mustain didn't exactly work out for Nutt and Arkansas.

Mustain was 8-0 as a true freshman starter for #11 arkansas until Nutt benched him for no apparent reason. it led to his transfer as well as Malzahn leaving. it ultimately got Nutt fired.

Gotcha. Tells me a little more about Nutt that makes me want him very far away from USF ... not like I needed another reason anyway.

Mustain never did anything else in college. Maybe Nutt made the right move.

I'm thinking Mustain might have gotten screwed over by the whole deal.

he did. he should have stuck with malzahn instead of going to usc.

• Topic Count:  1,103
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

South Florida: Fox Sports is reporting that Houston Nutt will interview for the head coaching job. Sources tell us that there is tremendous interest in this job.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

South Florida: Fox Sports is reporting that Houston Nutt will interview for the head coaching job. Sources tell us that there is tremendous interest in this job.

This should be in the coaching search sub board.

It has been reported by other sources that Nutt himself confirmed he has NOT yet interviewed or been scheduled for an interview.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Awesome hearing that there is a lot of interest in this job. This is the second time we've heard it.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

Wonder if this means tremendous interest in general, or just from Nutt?

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

Here's his wiki page.

Interesting note: In 2006, when he won the conference div title, Gus Malzahn was his OC :mellow: AND McFadden was a Heisman runner-up

Take that away, in the preceding years he was 4-4 in conference, 3-5, 2-6. In the year after he was 4-4 again.

He also ran gus malzahn off and created the springdale 5 saga. "Gus Offense will never work in the sec"