• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We'll never have another interception

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Some good stuff from Greg's blog on the lack on interceptions. Coach Smith lays it on the feet of the safeties.

"The reason we don't have interceptions is our safeties do a terrible job of seeing the quarterback throw the football," said Smith, who said he expects a defensive back to be able to cover one-third of the distance of a pass once it's been thrown. "I took about six plays from pass-skel (drills) Sunday night and I said 'Habits are what we become.' Six plays where I had two or three people not breaking on the ball. That is a habit I've allowed to develop. That's on me. That's coaching. Not looking at the quarterback is coaching. I have to take responsibility for that. I'm trying to get that corrected."

Unfortunately, one of his incentives may have a negative effect. :)

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/slim-pickin-bulls-still-searching-elusive-int

And while the effectiveness of the incentive may be questioned, you can't argue with how much that first interception will mean to Smith, who has already told his players what's coming to whoever reels in that elusive pick: A kiss, on the mouth.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I'm glad he admits that this is on him as the coach. But that it took 6 games for him to see that his safeties are not breaking on the ball is inexplicable to me.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

Run a two-minute drill with BJ or pretend it's the last pass before the half. The interceptions will come in droves.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

Not sure it will happen against Bridgewater for the most part this year if nothing is there Bridgwater just throws it out of bounds. He doesn't force to much.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Not sure it will happen against Bridgewater for the most part this year if nothing is there Bridgwater just throws it out of bounds. He doesn't force to much.

Only chance we have of getting one on him is to have a pass deflected at the line, or hit him as he is releasing the ball.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Some good stuff from Greg's blog on the lack on interceptions. Coach Smith lays it on the feet of the safeties.

"The reason we don't have interceptions is our safeties do a terrible job of seeing the quarterback throw the football," said Smith, who said he expects a defensive back to be able to cover one-third of the distance of a pass once it's been thrown. "I took about six plays from pass-skel (drills) Sunday night and I said 'Habits are what we become.' Six plays where I had two or three people not breaking on the ball. That is a habit I've allowed to develop. That's on me. That's coaching. Not looking at the quarterback is coaching. I have to take responsibility for that. I'm trying to get that corrected."

Unfortunately, one of his incentives may have a negative effect. :)

http://www.tampabay....ing-elusive-int

And while the effectiveness of the incentive may be questioned, you can't argue with how much that first interception will mean to Smith, who has already told his players what's coming to whoever reels in that elusive pick: A kiss, on the mouth.

It'll be fine as long as he doesn't give tongue. :puke:

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Wow, that's a lot of accountability there from one coach.

More than I have seen from his head coach

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

I think we get one by the Syracuse game. Has any college team not ever record an INT in a season?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

it's a problem in many college games, i see defenders watching the ball fly, and don't make a move on the football. they end up either giving up a big play, can't make a tackle, or draw a pass interference call.