• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Out of the people that interviewed for HC after CJL who would you take?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Heres a quick reality check for all of you people that think we can just give a blank check to any coach to come coach our program if Skip gets fired.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/02/ous-wilson-vts-foster-chased-usf-job/

Kevin Wilson

Bud Foster

Kevin Gilbride

Tim Murphy

Calvin Magee

Shaun Watson

Dan McCarney

So out of these candidates who would you take over Skip? Are there any other REALISTIC coaches out there after this season?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

I would have given McCarney a shot-- thought he got run out of Iowa State when he had done more for that program than anyone for years before he came on board

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I like both Calvin and Tim Murphy. I guess having interacted with both Calvin and Murphy, they would have been my front runners. Calvin understands the recruiting in Florida and the type of athletes that could allow us to compete on this level. The school missed out on him... just as Jim's difficult to get along with personality ran Calvin to Rich Rod or Calvin would have still been here.

If people were looking for a coach that preaches winning football and education, Tim Murphy would have been the answer. All he has done from day one is win. Granted, it's not a big school, and people might wonder if he can recruit Florida, but you have to start somewhere and he has had success every step of the way.

Skip was a great fit because of his last name and his two CUSA titles... but Jim totally obliterated Skip's ECU squad in a bowl game. That right there would have been a concern for me if I was an AD hiring a coach. The AD wanted to can Leavitt, yet they hired one of the few coaches that could not be a Leavitt coached squad. The ECU clowns forewarned us about Skip. Too bad we chose not to listen. Heck, the first year where we went 8-5, look at how many of those games could have gone the opposite way resulting in another losing season. In reality, we've experienced three long seasons of sub-par football... the records only shows two... but it doesn't take much research to figure we pulled a rabbit out of the hat multiple times in his first season. Not any more though.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Magee and Foster would have been my top choices...

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

That list goes to show the inept process that lead to Skip getting hired. This is a HEAD COACHING position in Tampa, Fla... A real city

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I wanted Foster 3 years ago, but I wouldn't want to go that route now.

Didn't Larry Fedora apply for the job? He would have been a good choice as well.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

If we don't get Petrino wait a year or two for Pete Carroll.

Is there really that big a difference in paying a Skip Holtz $2 million and paying a proven high level winner more?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Heres a quick reality check for all of you people that think we can just give a blank check to any coach to come coach our program if Skip gets fired.

http://collegefootba...chased-usf-job/

Kevin Wilson

Bud Foster

Kevin Gilbride

Tim Murphy

Calvin Magee

Shaun Watson

Dan McCarney

So out of these candidates who would you take over Skip? Are there any other REALISTIC coaches out there after this season?

This is all fine and good, but where has anyone really talked about getting coaches that are well out of our range or league? I haven't seen anyone say that we should steal head coach X from bcs program Y? Outside of the Jon Gruden talk (and most of what I've seen is more take a shot at him, not fire Holtz and hire Gruden now, type talk), not sure I've seen names that wouldn't atleast be possibilities to persue (most of who I've seen mentioned are either current coordinators (like Bud Foster) or out of work head coaches (Petrino)).

I don't think he was stating otherwise. I think he was just asking the question on general.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,467
  • Days Won:  25

This goes back to my "New or Used" thread.

I would prefer a proven Coordinator that recruits Fla. and understands the BE.

Not asking for much...