• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kirk and Dinger on 98.7 Don't Want Regular Callers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,465
  • Days Won:  25

I have better things to do than sit on hold for thirty minutes or so while they change subjects, go to commercials, come back on another subject, go to more commercials...

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I have better things to do than sit on hold for thirty minutes or so while they change subjects, go to commercials, come back on another subject, go to more commercials...

You'd be surprised, I don't think they have that many callers. I've never been on hold more than 10 minutes. And while I'm in traffic, I can't complain.

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

If Pepper is "working on it".....it sounds like he doesn't agree with it, and to me, that smells like it may have come from USF directly. After Rutgers and Ball State, the call-in shows overnight and the daytime shows were getting hammered with angry USF fans, and poor little athletics dept must have not liked it. Doesn't seem like a Pepper "move" to me, as he is about as pro-USF as it gets, even in the lean times.

One call per week is, or at least was, a pretty standard talk radio rule, not always iron clad, though, so 'm not sure why a start up station would adhere to it .... but whatever the reason, I seriously doubt this was some directive from USF.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Does the drunk slob/McMurphy co-conspirator still have a show there?

You mean the guy who refused to talk about USF sports (and even said we can go to our little message board if we want to talk about it)but started talking about and embellished and kept alive the story of the slap heard 'round Tampa Bay? Unfortunately, yes.

I think he's even now a regular ESPN Insider on Douchebag's show ...

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

If Pepper is "working on it".....it sounds like he doesn't agree with it, and to me, that smells like it may have come from USF directly. After Rutgers and Ball State, the call-in shows overnight and the daytime shows were getting hammered with angry USF fans, and poor little athletics dept must have not liked it. Doesn't seem like a Pepper "move" to me, as he is about as pro-USF as it gets, even in the lean times.

One call per week is, or at least was, a pretty standard talk radio rule, not always iron clad, though, so 'm not sure why a start up station would adhere to it .... but whatever the reason, I seriously doubt this was some directive from USF.

I can see that...maybe per show though. If a caller can bring fresh takes each time, they can get a new perspective out of each radio host that is on. I think the station somehow thinks we're in Philly or NYC or Boston and that they honestly have enough callers to go around. The amount of people that will call a radio show are usually a fraction of the listener base - I've considered it, but I prefer to not make a mistake and end up sounding like a fcktard.

When they redid the station to FM, I had hoped they'd keep most of the shows intact, just in nice, clear FM. I can see maybe they wanted to part ways with JP, but they haven't gotten much better. They need to bring back Dan Patrick, I'd love to hear him in FM - but I can understand they want the local stuff, so no big syndicated shows unless they were based out of here.

I mean....they have the friggin sports blob on overnight...but I guess that's probably the best slot for her since i'll never accidentally tune in. lol

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,465
  • Days Won:  25

You'd be surprised, I don't think they have that many callers. I've never been on hold more than 10 minutes. And while I'm in traffic, I can't complain.

I did it

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Does the drunk slob/McMurphy co-conspirator still have a show there?

You mean the guy who refused to talk about USF sports (and even said we can go to our little message board if we want to talk about it)but started talking about and embellished and kept alive the story of the slap heard 'round Tampa Bay? Unfortunately, yes.

I think he's even now a regular ESPN Insider on Douchebag's show ...

Someone told me about that. I bet they have a lovefest when they get together (EWWW) and discuss how they took down USF football.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

I dont know why you guys dont like the Fan. I enjoy it and they talk about USF regularly. i can understand why you'd be upset about them not taking your call thou.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  106
  • Days Won:  0

Far more USF talk on 98.7 than ever before on Tampa radio, at least in the last 12 yrs. lets not alienate talk show hosts on the only station to go out of its way to support our university. Best way to improve things is to continue to call with insightful comments to keep USF in the discussion and convince the station's hosts that the audience tunes in for Bulls talk. That is where the money talks- where advertising dollars go. Wanna help this problem, call in as much as they let us.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Far more USF talk on 98.7 than ever before on Tampa radio, at least in the last 12 yrs. lets not alienate talk show hosts on the only station to go out of its way to support our university. Best way to improve things is to continue to call with insightful comments to keep USF in the discussion and convince the station's hosts that the audience tunes in for Bulls talk. That is where the money talks- where advertising dollars go. Wanna help this problem, call in as much as they let us.

Absolutely agree with this sentiment, but for a fledgling station to impose a one-call-per-week rule, is a bit draconian. As Danm stated earlier in the thread, if it's one call per show, I could conceivably understand that as well. Pursuant to the latest Arbitron ratings, they're getting slammed in the mornings and afternoons, so it seems counterintuitive that they'd want to treat this like a NY or Philly radio station that has plenty of listeners and callers. They're risking alienating someone that would take the time on my drive into or from work from discussing USF football with a cool, calm, and informed demeanor. I hope others on here take the opportunity to call because it doesn't sound like I'll be getting on air to discuss USF anytime soon.

Edited by Paisa el Toro