• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kirk and Dinger on 98.7 Don't Want Regular Callers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

The past two days the Kirk and Dinger Show on 98.7 the Fan has really been talking up the botched referee call from this past Seahawks/Packers game on Monday night football. Considering we have the big USF/FSU matchup this weekend, and I've finally got over my Ball State hangover, I wanted to call into the show for some inspirational USF talk. Meredith, the producer, let's me know that they've instituted a one-call-per-week rule. If you've already called during the week, you won't be getting on-air to discuss your sports issue. This edict came from Mike Pepper, according to her.

Mike, I know you post on here sporadically; what's the deal? Considering you're trying to forment a listener base in a competitive Tampa Bay morning talk time slot, do you not want regular callers? Do I have to be a stark raving mad lunatic caller to produce "good radio?" In my honest opinion, this isn't the best way to go for a fledgling sports radio talk station that emphasizes being Tampa-centric. Anyone else share my thoughts? Mike, can you confirm this rule, if you see this post?

Thanks

• Topic Count:  251
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Kirk and Dinger on 987 dont want regular listeners

fixed

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Forget Meredith. Im happy to see she got brought on after her MJ gig went down the tubes but that morning show is not entertaining at all. That show is not about sports talk, nor should a morning show be pure sports junkie material anyway. Mike and Mike have set a standard that morning sports radio be personailty driven. The Dinger and that gang dont have what it takes and its easily the weakest program on that station.

Edited by inTransit

It's up to other posters on the message board to talk USF sports. Call up the Fan and show them that USF is still greater than the sum of its inept coaching parts. Keep those horns up.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Every year we have a media die off.... This year we beat the spread and it died off in Sept....

Holtz new area

I emailed Pepper directly, and he responded that I provide another name until he gets the issue sorted out. It's not that important for me to go on the air immediately, so I'm not going to resort to doing that. I'll call again eventually, and if I'm told I can't participate in discussing USF sports for draconian reason or another, then they've lost a regular listener.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

I emailed Pepper directly, and he responded that I provide another name until he gets the issue sorted out. It's not that important for me to go on the air immediately, so I'm not going to resort to doing that. I'll call again eventually, and if I'm told I can't participate in discussing USF sports for draconian reason or another, then they've lost a regular listener.

While I find that show to be unlistenable, I have to ask where else are you going to go if you wish to talk USF sports? It certainly is not that evil station in the left side of your analog AM dial.

While I find that show to be unlistenable, I have to ask where else are you going to go if you wish to talk USF sports? It certainly is not that evil station in the left side of your analog AM dial.

Other than the Ron and Ian show, the other station is dreadful. I don't go anywhere else to talk USF sports on the local radio. If the Fan is going to be the USF flagship, then as fans I think we should take ownership. I will not, however, waste my time calling or listening if they're going to preclude folks from calling more than once a week to talk USF sports. If that's going to be the case, I'll just listen to Bubba on 102.5 the Bone my whole commute.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

If Pepper is "working on it".....it sounds like he doesn't agree with it, and to me, that smells like it may have come from USF directly. After Rutgers and Ball State, the call-in shows overnight and the daytime shows were getting hammered with angry USF fans, and poor little athletics dept must have not liked it. Doesn't seem like a Pepper "move" to me, as he is about as pro-USF as it gets, even in the lean times.

The only reason that rule will help is it keeps that annoying Dan caller off the air and his "how bout them Rays" BS. guy has the most annoying voice ever and his calls aren't great.

Kirk and Dinger suck. This station had a lot of promise being on the FM side, but I'm starting to see that they brought in a bunch of new people who are 'bigger names', but really aren't invested in this city other than some Bucs stuff. The Commish is about the only remnant left who wants to talk USF and not bash the sh;t out of them. Kirk is annoying, but Dinger makes me do this (esp this morning on his Josh Freeman arguments):

Jackie-chan-meme.png

I feel like Dinger knows nothing about sports beyond watching them on TV, unless it's hockey. It almost seems like Kirk takes a stance and Dinger takes the opposite stance just to play pro/con, but he has nothing to back it up, and his method is to just interrupt and interject with some vague "what are you gonna do then?" question. I really can't listen to that show when they're trying to discuss something with a caller, it's unlistenable.

Booger is an LSU guy, and I know he cares not for USF, but at least he kinda makes it known. I think he sees USF as small time, but feels like they could do a lot better. Tod Wright definitely cares not for USF, even reading his promos about USF games or giving away tickets, he sounds like someone who is thinking, "why are we giving these away, no one likes USF?"

I miss Toby David, at least he was a guru about the Rays and TRIED to like USF and was decently critical of their issues. Rich Herrera doesn't care either, and the guy needs to clear his throat. And Gary Shelton sucks too.

I used to think Lynne Austin was annoying and the morning show had way too many sound effects, but I actually miss that old show with Pepper and Lighthall and Austin. It was at least entertaining and didn't seem to piss anyone off. The new show hosts seem more hellbent on creating arguments and driving listeners and callers with anger (or passion as they'd call it).

Hell, even JP Peterson was good with USF, other than this week bc he's an FSU guy but still. #tellmehowyoureallyfeel /rant

Edited by Danm1983