• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East hung up on 14th member

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

$4-8.7 million per full memeber...... ouch.... We better get north of $14M per school in the open market. I think this is ESPN trying to devalue the conference even more. Hard to be considered an objective journalist organization when you are reporting on your own contract negotiations. How much would it be to buy out BYU from their current TV contract with ESPN? We have $45 million in the bank.

Where did you see the BE has 45 million in the bank ?

i have a feeling he's talking about all of the exit fees from the departing schools

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Needs to be BYU for the 14th. For both football and basketball reasons.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  182
  • Days Won:  2

The number they are throwing out is hilariously low. I'm seriously thinking about starting a ESPN:DR policy.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511

Bingo!

I read the artcile this morning regarding adding BYU. The artcile pissed me off for 2 reasons.

1. It makes it look like BYU and the BE are some jaded ex lovers and that they are going to come crawling back once the new TV deal is in place...... The best part is it a quote from the famous "industry source" aka this is ESPN's way of trying to add fuel to a fire that is not there. They have been doing this to the BE for years now.

2. The per school payouts seem really low. How can a "respectable" journalist entity remain objective when they are reporting on an entity they are engaged in contract negotiations with? Of course they are going to devalue the product publicly in order to make it look less appealing so they pay less for it. Are we the SEC, no, but we are definately on par or close to the ACC. The problem ESPN has is we are the last conference in the market and they dont want the competition to get any additional programming.

I think the BE is going to NBC and will end up with weekly primetime BROADCAST TV games and possible afternoon games. All of the other games will end up on NBC sports. This is great visibility for all involved and an upgrade to all involved. Even if full members get $12-15M per school and Football only members get $7-10M per school. This would be an upgrade for all BE schools and BYU if you were to join. We could use the $45M in exit fees to buy BYU out of the Football portion portion of the TV contract, and they can renegotiate the TV deal for BBall and all other sports. Better tv deal, more exposure, and a possible BB scheduling agreement makes this a win win for all of us. Trying to schedule 12 football games per year is tough to do. This will give them quality opponents on a yearly basis and still allow them to schedule ND, Utah, etc. It may not be a bad deal for yus. Its just a thought.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The number they are throwing out is hilariously low. I'm seriously thinking about starting a ESPN:DR policy.

Exactly. More lobbying from ESPN.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

How in the hell does this "foster rivalries" like the new Commish has been saying for the past month or so since he has been hired... every time I hear the new Commish speak he says that the BEast has "a great story to tell, and we have great regional rivalries"... now I know that USF-UCF is not like Auburn-Alabama or something, but how will we have a any rivalry with a team in another division that we play once every other year?

I'm fine with not playing UCF every year, but I'm just confused by the apparent "Red" and "Blue" division makeups when the Commish keeps saying something else. Will we have to schedule UCF every season to "foster" this rivalry the BEast wants us to grow? So every other season we will have to lose a out of conference game to keep UCF on the schedule? Just not seeing how what they are saying is adding up to what they are doing.

When the Big East grows to 14, league officials already have had discussions how to split the divisions. The most popular 14-team model, sources said, would be "Red" and "Blue" divisions that are non-geographic.

The Red Division would consist of Louisville, South Florida, Connecticut, San Diego State, SMU, Navy and Memphis. The Blue Division: Cincinnati, Central Florida, Rutgers, Boise State, Houston, Temple and the 14th team.

Red Division:

Louisville

South Florida

Connecticut

San Diego State

SMU

Navy

Memphis

15th team (Army)

Blue Division:

Cincinnati

Central Florida

Rutgers

Boise State

Houston

Temple

14th team (BYU)

16th team (Air Force)

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511

No ARMY, PLEASE!!!! They are horrible. I'd rather accept So.Piss or EzU and I DONT want them.

On the rivalries note, we have 6 divisional games+ 1 cross divisional rivalry and 1-2 rotating games from the other division. Depends on if we want 8 or 9 conference games.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

With 12 teams there are only 5 divisional games, not 6. So you have those 5, the permanent game and 2 others.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

No ARMY, PLEASE!!!! They are horrible. I'd rather accept So.Piss or EzU and I DONT want them.

On the rivalries note, we have 6 divisional games+ 1 cross divisional rivalry and 1-2 rotating games from the other division. Depends on if we want 8 or 9 conference games.

Plus one on the Army comment

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,469
  • Days Won:  25

Bubba Bull - We would play UCF every year as the crosslock game, everybody else would rotate.

Question - Does anyone think NBC or whoever would still try for weeknight (Thursday) games?