• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wow ND to the ACC! Now what for the BE?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Good to see mac still taking ginormous leaps with rampant speculation.

FSU and Virginia Tech aren't leaving the ACC tomorrow. There hasn't been a peep out of VT that suggests they're looking to move. In fact, their AD pledged his loyalty to the ACC in May. Could he have been lying, sure, but I doubt it.

And what the hell is ESPN desperate for? Total domination of the sport? They basically have it and they aren't going anywhere. They're bigger than they've ever been.

Edited by Joe

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

So fsu and Maryland did not want the exit fee to go up, who is the third school that voted against it?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

http://sports.yahoo....dGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Notre Dame's move to ACC didn't make losers out of Big East, Big Ten and BYU

The analysis seems pretty good. Key piece that stood out to me:

The Big East now can exhale and see how the new 12-team, coast-to-coast league plays out. It's still adding a signature program in Boise State to a league that will feature Louisville, Cincinnati, Rutgers, South Florida, UConn, Central Florida, Houston, San Diego State and so on.

No, it's not the SEC. It's also not that bad. An unbeaten team from the Big East is very likely to be selected to the four-team playoff coming in 2014. In the end, that's what matters.

That's because it isn't written by anyone from ESPN. Have only heard about the demise of the Big East from their mouthpieces since this was announced.

I don't believe that Notre Dame was in any way coerced by ESPN, but I believe that they will take full advantage of this when negotiating.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

anyone concerned about Notre Dame's need to be on network TV and that being a problem for ESPN is misguided. ESPN and ABC are one and the same company for the most part.

The only difference for ND being on ABC is that it would no longer be the so-called marquee college football attraction on the channel. I doubt they care in this move though-- they wanted to detach from the conference (Big East)that ESPN is clearly set upon excluding from the emerging national championship framework and go with one who will allow them to do their same old bullcr*p of "historic football independence". Screw them and their deal (like we had a choice).

Looking at our conference lineup is a nightmare. It is convoluted with the basketball schools exerting power for so long that they eventually killed off something that was almost workable.

Bottom line is that those schools that consider themselves the players in college athletics are making strides to exclude all the wannabes who have come late to the party. How many teams jumped to 1-A status in the past 20 years? it's crazy and they have had enough of it-- why? I have no idea-- possibly fear of competition, especially in light of all the limitations the NCAA has imposed to level the playing field during that same time frame.

As always-- this is about money. If you weren't in the big leagues by a certain point, you are getting shut out. But they are doing it gingerly so to avoid some sort of lawsuit by the other half-- which is a key number-- they must have a majority of the FBS teams be in their conferences-- so they consolidated into power conferences. The only reason the BE was in the BCS for as long as it was is it took this long for them to systematically realign, using academic and institutional standards as an excuse, and allowing members they wanted in the group time to slide into the new system.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

FSU and Virginia Tech aren't leaving the ACC tomorrow. There hasn't been a peep out of VT that suggests they're looking to move. In fact, their AD pledged his loyalty to the ACC in May. Could he have been lying, sure, but I doubt it.

And what the hell is ESPN desperate for? Total domination of the sport? They basically have it and they aren't going anywhere. They're bigger than they've ever been.

Its not the domination of the sport that ESPN is after. As the B1g network has proven college football has been undervalued in TV contracts. As long as ESPN is the only real player it real remain that way. If, however, NBC is able to establish their network with another conference that draws good ratings then the competition for college sports will begin. This means that ESPN will have to increase payouts to keep their conferences and programming. This is all about ESPN maintaining profit margins far more than dominating college football. EXPN at themoment is the only real player in the game, they gain tremendously from that. NBC could possibly kill that bird, so it is necessary for ESPN to try to kill the BE so that NBC is left with nothing.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i dont see much impact to the TV deal on the football side...

this hurts for bowls

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,241
  • Days Won:  0

if anything, it could potentially help USF's stance if the Big 12 ever came calling. They would very much like that Florida foothold, and adding USF and Louisville would bridge the gap to WVU and have that FL spot. USF wouldn't have any closer games than normal, but I'd definitely jump at a chance to play with a higher quantity of "big boy" programs, and flights to Texas > flights to snowy northeast.

I really hope we find a way into the big 12. Louisville cincy usf and byu to get to 14 pleaseee, save us b12!

Edited by DontPushMe

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Its not the domination of the sport that ESPN is after. As the B1g network has proven college football has been undervalued in TV contracts. As long as ESPN is the only real player it real remain that way. If, however, NBC is able to establish their network with another conference that draws good ratings then the competition for college sports will begin. This means that ESPN will have to increase payouts to keep their conferences and programming. This is all about ESPN maintaining profit margins far more than dominating college football. EXPN at themoment is the only real player in the game, they gain tremendously from that. NBC could possibly kill that bird, so it is necessary for ESPN to try to kill the BE so that NBC is left with nothing.

I'll say what I've said each time someone has said this. Getting the rights to the new Big East is not making someone a major player against ESPN.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

50 million dollars? Who you think you kidnapped, Chelsea Clinton??

rushhour_18.jpg

Ahhhhhh hahahahaha

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Here is to winning the BE this year and hopes of moving into a better, more stable conference. :guinness:

I'll drink to that! Seriously, how long should we remain loyal to the Big East? I mean, I know we have to say the right things in public, but I hope that in private conversations the consensus is that if a bigger more stable conference comes calling, that we won't hesitate!

I am pretty confident in saying we would jet in a heart beat should a better opportunity arise.