• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wow ND to the ACC! Now what for the BE?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

We wil clearly counter by extedning an invite to Coastal Carolina and Savannah St.

LMAO. Post of the week!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Who picks the 5 teams Notre Dame plays? Notre Dame or the ACC?

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

Who picks the 5 teams Notre Dame plays? Notre Dame or the ACC?

d7dndnkm7u6glhazee7w_normal.pngEric Hansen â€@hansenNDInsider

Each ACC school is guaranteed to play Notre Dame in football once out of every three years.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

This reflects ND's view of the BE and where it is going. ND has no faith in the direction of the BE. The pressure should have been put on ND a long time ago and the BE Commissioner failed terribly. Inevitably the worst case scenario unfolded for the BE, but without the benefit or possibility of ND commiting to the BE before all hell was unleashed.

Here is to winning the BE this year and hopes of moving into a better, more stable conference. :guinness:

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1408459

FSU voted against the $50 million increase

Again the $50 mil blindedsided FSU, what do they do next is question.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867

This reflects ND's view of the BE and where it is going. ND has no faith in the direction of the BE. The pressure should have been put on ND a long time ago and the BE Commissioner failed terribly. Inevitably the worst case scenario unfolded for the BE, but without the benefit or possibility of ND commiting to the BE before all hell was unleashed.

Here is to winning the BE this year and hopes of moving into a better, more stable conference. :guinness:

This....IS OUR HOME, we best get used to it...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432

I'll drink to that! Seriously, how long should we remain loyal to the Big East? I mean, I know we have to say the right things in public, but I hope that in private conversations the consensus is that if a bigger more stable conference comes calling, that we won't hesitate!

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Well wanted to post here to eat my crow after I bashed jvwvu's post earlier this week. While I still feel many of my points still stand, I didn't account for the bowl contracts, and the fact that the ACC was more than willing to bend over and spread them for ND in that regard. Still two things make absolutely no sense to me:

1) Rumor is that the ACC will receive an extra 1/2 million per year per team in the renegotiation for football. As of now, ESPN already has rights to virtually any ND away game outside of Navy or Air Force I believe. So whether ND was playing the ACC or Big Ten or Pac12, they have those rights already. So why on earth would they be willing to shell out an extra $15 million+ per year for games they already get, not to mention overpay for ND basketball? Are they really that desperate to destroy the Big East? Maybe I underestimated just how scared they are of a viable NBC sports (while $15 million may not be that much to a company like ESPN/Disney, its still literally throwing $15+ million down the toilet just to get a basketball team out of the Big East).

2) How on earth did they get Va Tech and FSU (and Clemson) to agree to that buyout? FSU admins were very vocal publically about their displeasure with the ACC TV deal. So all of sudden an additional $1 million/yr and a token home football game vs ND once every 6 years is somehow enough for them to sell their soul to the ACC? Just doesn't seem right, and worries me there is another shoe to drop somehow (Penn State?).

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

I never understood why the term 'loyalty' gets bandied about when talking about college athletics. We don't hire lawyers to review the 'loyalty' documents, and we don't turn down lucrative deals that exclude others because of 'loyalty' and the elusive 'level playing field' (it's right over there next to the unicorn corral).

USF will remain "loyal" to the Big East until such time as one of the other 'have' conferences comes calling. And for that invite to the-grass-is-greener conference, I'm sliding all of my chips onto "ain't gonna happen". I see a continued segregation between the Big [name] conferences and the football flotsam.

"Oh, the Big Conference USA East isn't that bad, I'm glad Notre Dame is gone, we're better off, but - boy - I sure do wish we could get the hell outta here sometime next week". Looks like a lot of whistling past the graveyard to me. Make no mistake, ND leaving the 'Big Conference USA East' is a body blow. And every time a team departs, the conference looks less and less desirable.

Let's just say that the ACC wanted juuuuuust one more team, just one more, to go to sixteen. Think that'd be USF? I'm betting L'ville or Uconn cells sort to the top of the selection spreadsheet before we ever do. Not knocking the ole alma mater, just saying that I see a few more desirable schools out there who could get selected before us, and that being the case, I do agree with the post above that this is our home, and now would be a real good time to get comfortable for the duration.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

Well wanted to post here to eat my crow after I bashed jvwvu's post earlier this week. While I still feel many of my points still stand, I didn't account for the bowl contracts, and the fact that the ACC was more than willing to bend over and spread them for ND in that regard. Still two things make absolutely no sense to me:

1) Rumor is that the ACC will receive an extra 1/2 million per year per team in the renegotiation for football. As of now, ESPN already has rights to virtually any ND away game outside of Navy or Air Force I believe. So whether ND was playing the ACC or Big Ten or Pac12, they have those rights already. So why on earth would they be willing to shell out an extra $15 million+ per year for games they already get, not to mention overpay for ND basketball? Are they really that desperate to destroy the Big East? Maybe I underestimated just how scared they are of a viable NBC sports (while $15 million may not be that much to a company like ESPN/Disney, its still literally throwing $15+ million down the toilet just to get a basketball team out of the Big East).

2) How on earth did they get Va Tech and FSU (and Clemson) to agree to that buyout? FSU admins were very vocal publically about their displeasure with the ACC TV deal. So all of sudden an additional $1 million/yr and a token home football game vs ND once every 6 years is somehow enough for them to sell their soul to the ACC? Just doesn't seem right, and worries me there is another shoe to drop somehow (Penn State?).

I think CBS has the NS/Navy game when its not in South Bend. So this gives ESPN some consistent ND, but only when they play away against the ACC.

This just upped our value, btw. Not because we lost ND, but because it was a shot across NBC's bow. NBC coming hard at the BE also means they will be trying to send a message to ESPN that they are going to be scrapping for any available contract.

FSU didn't agree to the buyout. They voted against it. The buyout apparently goes into effect "today", but I expect that VT and FSU will exit very quickly while suing the conference to colluding against them leaving.

That's what this is folks, a desperate conference and a desperate network in ESPN trying to keep it all from falling apart. Very soon the ACC will be the only conference that ESPN completely controls and the ACC knows that FSU, VT, Clemson, and others are looking for greener pastures. So they made a deal with ND to give them extra cash as an excuse to jack up the fee for exit to try to hold it all together.

Without a massive increase in revenue (and it's not there), I expect FSU will look directly at the BXII, pay $20M to exit, and leave. The ACC will sue for more and ESPN's collusion will come out in any trial.

This is a pre-emptive strike to try to prevent a mass exodus when the Big East gets paid much more than the ACC. Unless the conference falls apart before November 1, it will happen and the ACC will still collapse - especially when they have to fight so many lawsuits to try to get exit fees.