• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football Stadium Talk

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Does UF have lightening problems like we do?

what lightning problems do we have?

like I said, how many practices had to be rescheduled in the past?

not cancelled but just rescheduled.

oh what a terrible inconvenience, let's build a $14M indoor practice field!

did you know that the state of florida has 5 of the top 20 schools in the country for total student athletics fees charged to students?

that's a disgrace. we are building football factories in this state . not centers for higher learning.

The majority of money that is used in this "unnecessary spending" is raised through donors of the Athletics. Not taken from students or the state. Also, if you are content with competeing at the 1-AA level, I'm not sure USF is the right team for you. USF has a vision of being one of the top tier athletic programs in the country. In order to do that, they have to compete for recruits, and recruits like nice new facilities. It's called competition. We have to compete for these recruits, so we need to have the nicest facilities as possible. It's called competition. Its a pretty basic concept.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

did you know that the state of florida has 5 of the top 20 schools in the country for total student athletics fees charged to students?

that's a disgrace. we are building football factories in this state . not centers for higher learning.

The majority of money that is used in this "unnecessary spending" is raised through donors of the Athletics. Not taken from students or the state. Also, if you are content with competeing at the 1-AA level, I'm not sure USF is the right team for you. USF has a vision of being one of the top tier athletic programs in the country. In order to do that, they have to compete for recruits, and recruits like nice new facilities. It's called competition. We have to compete for these recruits, so we need to have the nicest facilities as possible. It's called competition. Its a pretty basic concept.

USF is wrong to want to compete in athletics. so is the state of florida when it comes to it's universities. competing in athletics is not their stated goals. educating their population is.

33% of our entire athletic budget conmes from student tuition and that doesn't include the deficit that is covered by the school as well.

there is a reason why the football factories come from the worst ranked states in public eduaction. they prioritize athletics over acandemics. think alabma, arkansas, louisianna, florida, etc.

sorry but I have young kids and I do not want them going to a public university where the budgets of the general university are shrinking while the budgets of the athletic departments are growing at a 63% clip. and some of you aren't happy with that. you want us to dump even more into athletics. terrible.

5 of the top 20 total college student athletic fees are from florida public universities. where are our priorities?

• Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

USA Today reported on all Div 1 public school finances recently.

Click on USF to expand. I was interested to see that LSU accepts no state funds nor student fees to support athletics.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

USF is wrong to want to compete in athletics. so is the state of florida when it comes to it's universities. competing in athletics is not their stated goals. educating their population is.

33% of our entire athletic budget conmes from student tuition and that doesn't include the deficit that is covered by the school as well.

there is a reason why the football factories come from the worst ranked states in public eduaction. they prioritize athletics over acandemics. think alabma, arkansas, louisianna, florida, etc.

sorry but I have young kids and I do not want them going to a public university where the budgets of the general university are shrinking while the budgets of the athletic departments are growing at a 63% clip. and some of you aren't happy with that. you want us to dump even more into athletics. terrible.

5 of the top 20 total college student athletic fees are from florida public universities. where are our priorities?

Oh I don't know, in attracting students to a school that will provide an overall good college experience. You continue to get lost in the fact that many students go to college not just for an education, but for an overall experience in which they willl never be able to replicate in life again (for the most part). College isn't just about being educated in your field of study, its also about growing your social skills, about learning to build contacts, about learning to balance both life and work (studying), and about learning how to manage your life on your own (away from mommy and daddy).

If you want to send your kids to schools that strictly focus on academics, there are already plenty of other schools in the state of Florida, not to mention hundreds located throughout the NE United States that offer just that experience.

Click on USF to expand. I was interested to see that LSU accepts no state funds nor student fees to support athletics.

http://www.usatoday....base/54955804/1

interesting how our ticket sales peaked in 2008 and contributions peaked in 2009 and yet our expenses have grown 33% and 24% since.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Bull94,

Why do you bemoan the state of USF athletics, yet waste your time with over 2,600 posts on a USF athletics message board? You don't want USF to compete in athletics, but it seems that you sure do like to chat about it?

Oh I don't know, in attracting students to a school that will provide an overall good college experience. You continue to get lost in the fact that many students go to college not just for an education, but for an overall experience in which they willl never be able to replicate in life again (for the most part). College isn't just about being educated in your field of study, its also about growing your social skills, about learning to build contacts, about learning to balance both life and work (studying), and about learning how to manage your life on your own (away from mommy and daddy).

If you want to send your kids to schools that strictly focus on academics, there are already plenty of other schools in the state of Florida, not to mention hundreds located throughout the NE United States that offer just that experience.

of course there are but my tax dollars don't support those schools. I went to USF before football. I enjoyed my college experience just fine. like I said I'm not opposed to football just the facilties and salaries wars that are going on. I think I might have enjoyed football more when we were 1-aa.

BTW enough of this major college football teaches us about life non-sense. that we somehow couldn't manage life without mommy and daddy unless we have a football game to attend every weekend to teach us. please. the only thing major college football teaches us is how to drink beer in a parking lot.

Bull94,

Why do you bemoan the state of USF athletics, yet waste your time with over 2,600 posts on a USF athletics message board? You don't want USF to compete in athletics, but it seems that you sure do like to chat about it?

again, I'm not opposed to athletics. just opposed to the amount of money being spent on athletics especially when it comes to my alma mater. I enjoyed football just fine when our budget was peanuts and we were playing a 1-aa schedule. I don't want us to try and keep up with the alabama's of the world, their priorities are screwed up.

we keep cutting general school budget while increasing athletic budget. it's dumb. and please don't say anything about it being athetics money. USFs athletics department receives over $16M a year from the school.

• Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

http://www.usatoday....base/54955804/1

interesting how our ticket sales peaked in 2008 and contributions peaked in 2009 and yet our expenses have grown 33% and 24% since.

I was impressed by the licensing revenue, and equally surprised by the 1.5M 2011 revenue vs. expense shortfall and the 2011 2.7M contributions amount, which has been dropping for 3 years. I thought the contributions would be higher than 2.7M.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I also think an indoor practice facility is a colossal waste of money.

Archived