• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  183
  • Days Won:  0

Yahoo_Graham Graham Watson

Hearing the Pac-12 wouldn't have the nine member votes to let Texas in right now. Not sure who else besides Colorado is against it."

not good for us...

Maybe not so bad--What if the PAC takes OU/OSU/KU/KSU since the issue is likely the Longhorn network.  Texas & Texas Tech keep the Big 12 leftovers together and invite the remaining Big East teams including USF.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I'm a little perplexed as to why everyone assumes a superconference build up (4 x 16) is a foregone conclusion. The Power Conferences, ie...the SEC and B1G aren't going to expand just to expand.  The B1G added Nebraska because they are a national brand, added a new footprint for their TV contract and allowed them a conference championship game.  The ONLY reason I see them expanding again is when Notre Dame finally realizes that the last time they were truly relevant in college football was before the high school seniors they are recruiting were even born.  They'll likely add another to balance out at that point, but they're not going to "jump" and start adding the Missouri's, Kansas/Kansas St, Marylands....etc...just because the ACC might add 4 basketball schools to their conference.  They are only going to expand if it means more $$$$$$, and I'm not sure that outside of Texas, Oklahoma or Notre Dame that theirs a school out there that would bring more money to the B1G than they would dilute from it.  The same for the SEC.  TAMU was a big get (huge new TV market), and they'll likely add another to even out, but are there two schools out there (to get them to 16) that would truly be beneficial to them?   The Alabamas, Floridas, LSUs aren't going to vote for expansion if it means less money for them, just to have the conference keep up with the Joneses.  

• Content Count:  228

Has this thread surpassed the Josh Grady thread of last year in # of pages as of yet?

Last night, someone said McGilllis was returning to Athletic Facility with bags from McDonalds. Can't USF spend a bit more on dinner for Athletic Executives? I was thinking at least Applebees or Chiil's!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

• Content Count:  270

In the last dozen or so pages of this thread, people have speculated that we will lose our AQ conference affiliation, Skip Holtz might leave, our recruits migh jump ship, etc.  

Perhaps we should just deep-six the entire football program and go back to having our Homecoming games be against UAB or South Al in the Sun Dome like when I was attending USF.

That is the way it was when I was there and the original administration was totally against sports at USF, wanted all monies to go to academics.

From Wikipedia on John S Allen

"The university grew under the leadership of John Allen, who served as its first president from 1957 until his retirement in 1970. During this time, the university expanded rapidly, due in part to the first graduate degree programs commencing in 1964. Under Allen's leadership, USF touted itself as the "Harvard of the South". Allen was known for his opposition to college sports in favor of an environment more academically centered. Allen's ultimate legacy was to be the first person to build a modern state university from scratch."

Yes, I remember.  Harvard of the South my as*.  I would have settled for a decent dorm room during my four years.

I was at SRQ, had some classes at St. Pete. Only went to the main campus when I needed a unique text at the book store. The last time I visited was during that historic cold snap in the 80s, 88 or 89. Tampa Electric was turning off peoples heat, doing rolling black outs and people were calling into radio stations saying it was 47 degrees in their living room. Ah, memories. LOL. As for dorms,the ones at New College were designed by I.M. Pei.

I lived in Alpha Hall for 2 years (demolished years ago.)  It was designed by Sam Walton.

• Content Count:  406

Based on the Article about fanbase, let the Pac 12 take OU and OKState.  Us, Louisville, Cinci, and WVU slide over if they want and the fan base remains pretty large.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I don't understand why we wouldn't want TX to stay in Big 12.  Let OU and OKS leave, and jump on Texas's manhood and ride into the Big 12 Sunset?  They can go independent in FOOTBALL, but need a conference for other sports.

As long as those programs do not come to Eastern based conferences we are all right.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I'm a little perplexed as to why everyone assumes a superconference build up (4 x 16) is a foregone conclusion. The Power Conferences, ie...the SEC and B1G aren't going to expand just to expand.  

Isn't the SEC doing that by potentially adding Missouri?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

I like how the tampa/st pete market is 8th biggest according to this paper. Might make a difference..........

• Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

McMurphy seems to be having as much fun tweeting of the BE demise as he was when Leavitt was fired.

https://twitter.com/#!/McMurphyCBS

Archived