• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  270
  • Days Won:  0

If Big 10 thinks clearly about the future, they'd consider these facts:

- there programs are by & large in states frequently designated 'the rust belt'

- the state with the largest number of out-of-state alumni for most of their schools is Florida

- if the ACC goes to 16 with UConn & Butgers, Big 10 options after ND & Mizzou go down a grade or two

- if one of their divisions gets a sunshine-state travel destination, the other will want the same

- in just one decade any school added to the Big 10 will grow in stature/athletics/academics

- travel budgets for olympic sports are greatly helped when there are two long-distance schools in close proximity

Their solution for their 15th and 16th teams are USF and UCF.

It probably makes way too much sense to happen, but it is the only way they could ever hope to pass up the SEC and become #1 in football again.

If the Big 10 really wanted a Sunshine State option, USF and UCF would not be the choices.  Florida State and Miami would be the choices.

You must have not read my post well.   If Big 10 looks to the FUTURE;

Tallahassee is rural south GA

Miami is a small private school in deep doo-doo with a bad rep

Travel from USF - UCF super easy & quick; FSU-Miami; not so much

I read your post.  I disagree with your premise and conclusion.  Thanks.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,867

Yahoo_Graham Graham Watson

Hearing the Pac-12 wouldn't have the nine member votes to let Texas in right now. Not sure who else besides Colorado is against it."

not good for us...

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

If the University of Florida was in the position USF is now, facing sitting on the curb soon conferenceless,  Florida's two US Senators Nelson and Rubio, both UF alums, would have already called for a special session of the US Congress to  investigate things.

I still think FSU could end up in SEC.  I think that new $20 million exit penalty is bogus and any ACC team could bolt to another conference without paying it; the ACC schools surely have some fine print wiggle clauses to avoid paying the big penalty.  I know if I had a $20 million exit clause in my pre-nuptial agreement and my wife ran off, I'd never see a penny of the $20 million--same thing for the ACC schools!  Florida has a Sunshine law for state government meetings: I'd like to see someone request copies of FSU's goings on recently with conference business--Florida taxpayers have a right to know.

All this realignment stuff is still very,very fluid--anything could happen yet.  I'm betting USF lands on all four feet and playing in a BCS conference.  

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

SRQ: I do agree with the first part that if the B10 waits, their prime targets may have been gobbled up.  But, which side would we go on -- Legends?  Or Leaders?

Legends.  ;D

USF ranks #19 in first Scripps Legends Poll

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/sports/sports_blogs_local/KSHB_Oklahoma-football-team-atop-first-Scripps-Legends-Poll_930191371316451929239#ixzz1YQkPB6q6

Yahoo_Graham Graham Watson

Hearing the Pac-12 wouldn't have the nine member votes to let Texas in right now. Not sure who else besides Colorado is against it."

not good for us...

Probably some yahoo like Washington State.

SRQ: I do agree with the first part that if the B10 waits, their prime targets may have been gobbled up.  But, which side would we go on -- Legends?  Or Leaders?

Legends.  ;D

USF ranks #19 in first Scripps Legends Poll

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/sports/sports_blogs_local/KSHB_Oklahoma-football-team-atop-first-Scripps-Legends-Poll_930191371316451929239#ixzz1YQkPB6q6

OK, that was amusing.  ;D

• Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

In the last dozen or so pages of this thread, people have speculated that we will lose our AQ conference affiliation, Skip Holtz might leave, our recruits migh jump ship, etc.  

Perhaps we should just deep-six the entire football program and go back to having our Homecoming games be against UAB or South Al in the Sun Dome like when I was attending USF.

That is the way it was when I was there and the original administration was totally against sports at USF, wanted all monies to go to academics.

From Wikipedia on John S Allen

"The university grew under the leadership of John Allen, who served as its first president from 1957 until his retirement in 1970. During this time, the university expanded rapidly, due in part to the first graduate degree programs commencing in 1964. Under Allen's leadership, USF touted itself as the "Harvard of the South". Allen was known for his opposition to college sports in favor of an environment more academically centered. Allen's ultimate legacy was to be the first person to build a modern state university from scratch."

Yes, I remember.  Harvard of the South my as*.  I would have settled for a decent dorm room during my four years.

I was at SRQ, had some classes at St. Pete. Only went to the main campus when I needed a unique text at the book store. The last time I visited was during that historic cold snap in the 80s, 88 or 89. Tampa Electric was turning off peoples heat, doing rolling black outs and people were calling into radio stations saying it was 47 degrees in their living room. Ah, memories. LOL. As for dorms,the ones at New College were designed by I.M. Pei.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

• Content Count:  406

I don't understand why we wouldn't want TX to stay in Big 12.  Let OU and OKS leave, and jump on Texas's manhood and ride into the Big 12 Sunset?  They can go independent in FOOTBALL, but need a conference for other sports.

Archived