• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

SRQ: I do agree with the first part that if the B10 waits, their prime targets may have been gobbled up.  But, which side would we go on -- Legends?  Or Leaders?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Halt me if I'm wrong you think I'm an idiot. Not this is just a "what if"

4 16 team conferences are the way everyone wants to go.  IF Big Ten, ACC, SEC all go 16 well then I think we have a great chance at the ACC.

Think about it.

Big Ten goes to 16, pool to choose from:

Notre Dame, Missouri, UConn, Rutgers, or one of ACC members

Then there is the SEC pool to choose from:

Missouri, WVU, Louisville, ACC schools (FSU, UNC, VT, Clemson)

Then obviously assuming ACC wants 16 still, it really comes down to whether ACC wants USF, cincy, or tcu to round out their 16. That is when you go ahead and do all the different scenarios. So who would they take? I obviously like to think we have more to offer then Cincy even if FSU and Miami are still in the conf.

The ACC will only happen for USF if FSU leaves.

Just some food for thought. What if USF joins the ACC with FSU and Miami, and all three schools refuse to schedule UF in the future. Meanwhile, the three of us are playing each other. I know that UF would still be the big SEC fish in Florida, but not playing any of the other Florida schools would have greater negative impact on them.

So, we'd all be beating up on eachother while Florida stays high and dry.  No thank you.  I still want the rematch.

• Content Count:  270
  • Days Won:  0

If Big 10 thinks clearly about the future, they'd consider these facts:

- there programs are by & large in states frequently designated 'the rust belt'

- the state with the largest number of out-of-state alumni for most of their schools is Florida

- if the ACC goes to 16 with UConn & Butgers, Big 10 options after ND & Mizzou go down a grade or two

- if one of their divisions gets a sunshine-state travel destination, the other will want the same

- in just one decade any school added to the Big 10 will grow in stature/athletics/academics

- travel budgets for olympic sports are greatly helped when there are two long-distance schools in close proximity

Their solution for their 15th and 16th teams are USF and UCF.

It probably makes way too much sense to happen, but it is the only way they could ever hope to pass up the SEC and become #1 in football again.

If the Big 10 really wanted a Sunshine State option, USF and UCF would not be the choices.  Florida State and Miami would be the choices.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Halt me if I'm wrong you think I'm an idiot. Not this is just a "what if"

4 16 team conferences are the way everyone wants to go.  IF Big Ten, ACC, SEC all go 16 well then I think we have a great chance at the ACC.

Think about it.

Big Ten goes to 16, pool to choose from:

Notre Dame, Missouri, UConn, Rutgers, or one of ACC members

Then there is the SEC pool to choose from:

Missouri, WVU, Louisville, ACC schools (FSU, UNC, VT, Clemson)

Then obviously assuming ACC wants 16 still, it really comes down to whether ACC wants USF, cincy, or tcu to round out their 16. That is when you go ahead and do all the different scenarios. So who would they take? I obviously like to think we have more to offer then Cincy even if FSU and Miami are still in the conf.

The ACC will only happen for USF if FSU leaves.

Just some food for thought. What if USF joins the ACC with FSU and Miami, and all three schools refuse to schedule UF in the future. Meanwhile, the three of us are playing each other. I know that UF would still be the big SEC fish in Florida, but not playing any of the other Florida schools would have greater negative impact on them.

So, we'd all be beating up on eachother while Florida stays high and dry.  No thank you.  I still want the rematch.

Regardless of what happens in realignment, that rematch is not going to happen anyways.

I was trying to figure out a way that USF could make it palatable for FSU and Miami to accept us into the ACC. The only way I thought that might be possible is if they believed it would hurt UF more than themselves.

• Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Decades before either win a conference championship if ever. That probably includes BB too.

In the last dozen or so pages of this thread, people have speculated that we will lose our AQ conference affiliation, Skip Holtz might leave, our recruits migh jump ship, etc.  

Perhaps we should just deep-six the entire football program and go back to having our Homecoming games be against UAB or South Al in the Sun Dome like when I was attending USF.

That is the way it was when I was there and the original administration was totally against sports at USF, wanted all monies to go to academics.

From Wikipedia on John S Allen

"The university grew under the leadership of John Allen, who served as its first president from 1957 until his retirement in 1970. During this time, the university expanded rapidly, due in part to the first graduate degree programs commencing in 1964. Under Allen's leadership, USF touted itself as the "Harvard of the South". Allen was known for his opposition to college sports in favor of an environment more academically centered. Allen's ultimate legacy was to be the first person to build a modern state university from scratch."

• Content Count:  4,879

- the state with the largest number of out-of-state alumni for most of their schools is Florida

- if the ACC goes to 16 with UConn & Butgers, Big 10 options after ND & Mizzou go down a grade or two

- if one of their divisions gets a sunshine-state travel destination, the other will want the same

- in just one decade any school added to the Big 10 will grow in stature/athletics/academics

- travel budgets for olympic sports are greatly helped when there are two long-distance schools in close proximity

It probably makes way too much sense to happen, but it is the only way they could ever hope to pass up the SEC and become #1 in football again.

If the Big 10 really wanted a Sunshine State option, USF and UCF would not be the choices.  Florida State and Miami would be the choices.

You must have not read my post well.   If Big 10 looks to the FUTURE;

Tallahassee is rural south GA

Miami is a small private school in deep doo-doo with a bad rep

Travel from USF - UCF super easy & quick; FSU-Miami; not so much

Big 10 is not the same Big 10 it used to be. The OSU fiasco. The way Penn St is playing. Almost lost to a team they had lost to last during WWII. I think their prestige has taken a hit for sure recently.

• Content Count:  270

In the last dozen or so pages of this thread, people have speculated that we will lose our AQ conference affiliation, Skip Holtz might leave, our recruits migh jump ship, etc.  

Perhaps we should just deep-six the entire football program and go back to having our Homecoming games be against UAB or South Al in the Sun Dome like when I was attending USF.

That is the way it was when I was there and the original administration was totally against sports at USF, wanted all monies to go to academics.

From Wikipedia on John S Allen

"The university grew under the leadership of John Allen, who served as its first president from 1957 until his retirement in 1970. During this time, the university expanded rapidly, due in part to the first graduate degree programs commencing in 1964. Under Allen's leadership, USF touted itself as the "Harvard of the South". Allen was known for his opposition to college sports in favor of an environment more academically centered. Allen's ultimate legacy was to be the first person to build a modern state university from scratch."

Yes, I remember.  Harvard of the South my as*.  I would have settled for a decent dorm room during my four years.

Archived